tehprincessjenn

Your Views on... ULTA

I dislike the customer service and coupon restrictions. Just tried a coupon that gives NEARLY everything off 20% (even UD) and it didn't work. I wanted the Marc Jacob Daisy So Fresh purse spray. (Not at Sephora) 

Another horror was me driving to one 30 minutes away and kept checking up on the limited edition OPI polishes that were out of stock. They offered to get the items and transfer them to the store. IT TOOK A F****ING MONTH. Of course I got it for free because I was b****ing and whining and probably attempted to cause a scene. I complained about the driving and their incompetence. 

God, what a nightmare. I love you Sephora. 

lylysa

Re: Your Views on... ULTA

It just BLEW my mind!!!!! *barf*

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

The last two times I ordered from Ulta online I had issues. The last time they took forever processing my order. The time before they sent me the wrong item. When I called, they said that I could get the cost of shipping it back to them refunded as well as the product refund. While I got the product refund fairly quickly, it took teeth pulling to get my shipping refunded.

I've been to two Ulta stores in the Indianapolis area. The one in Plainfield is wonderful. The staff was very friendly and helpful. If it wasn't so out-of-the-way for me, I'd go there more often since Ulta carries makeup pallets Sephora doesn't. The one on the northeast side was the total opposite. They all acted like they didn't want to be there and hardly spoke a word to me. Plus the store looked disorganized. 

annypoo

I went to Ulta to make a purchase and get my free birthday gift today. Of course they were out of stock. SThey told me I could try another store, which is out of the way. Sigh, I swear their stocking system is really bad. I've gone multiple times look for certain items and it looks like its never in stock. If I ever ask them to check in the drawers below, they give me an attitude for making their job so difficult. I've never had Sephora tell me they were out of a birthday gift. 

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

There's a free bday gift at Ulta?  is this a new thing?

annypoo

I think it started either this year or last year. It's a full size CK mascara. It says its an $18 value. 

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

I'm going to be all over that next time I make it in...my bday was in Feb.

Crazy4Sephora1

(0) Hearts

I mostly go to Ulta to get my hair cut and she is the best stylist I ever had.  I went to a very exclusive salon for a year and told the stylist at the beginning that I went to a different salon for my color and I didn't plan on leaving.  A year later, she just freaked out and told me I was "effecting her emotional well being" by seeing my roots and not to come back unless I had my hair colored prior.  I went to Ulta which is only four miles away from my house and never looked back.

I do prefer Sephora over Ulta. If you ask for a sample at Ulta, they look at you like you are crazy but then get snotty if you have returns. It also takes them forever to restock. I had a rain check for ROC and it took them over a month to get the product back in.

Also, be aware that Ulta monitors your returns. If you do too many returns (Ulta won't state how many is too many) you will be put on list that is sent to stores and labeled a "problem customer." It happened to me after 15 years of being a customer and they announced this in front of other employees and customers. I was never so embarrassed in my life.

serioustree

Honestly, I go to Sephora expecting GREAT customer service, versus Ulta, when I DONT expected amazing customer service. 

My assumption:

Sephora only has big name brand products. Their associates should be paid well enough to be trained in providing amazing service. Ulta on the other hand recieves a large portion of their income through drugstore products. They most likely get paid a bit less and are expected to be well versed in each brand. 

When I go into ulta, I go for a specific product. I check out. I expect customer service to not be amazing, but I do expect adequate attention as a shopper. When I go into sephora, I know what I want but would also like to explore, Sephora is great at sharing new brands to me (depending on which store).  

The bar I hold for sephora is much higher than the bar I hold for ulta. And honestly, I love sephora but their customer service is beginning to lack at the one I go to. I ALWAYS CONSISTENTLY get amazing customer service at Nordstrom. I have been spending $$$$ there now and would have reached Rouge at sephora if I wanted to.  I don't care much for points at sephora when the gwp + consistent customer service is always +1 ahead at nordstrom. 

evno

(0) Hearts

I do like Ulta because there's a wider selection of products in general, so I love looking at everything. The downside, though, is that the customer service isn't so personalized and that the displays and products are often ransacked. I almost bought an eye primer that was already opened! :smileytongue:  

jaha8005

One of the things I do like about Ulta over Sephora is that they do offer more coupons.  Sometimes they are limited and not valid on prestige brands, but they do offer more coupons than Sephora.  Also, I like the fact that Ulta also has lower priced brands, where I think Sephora carries more "high end" brands.  Also, Ulta lets me use my points on purchases, which really helps out.  Sephora just offers tiny sample size products you can redeem with your points.  I would rather have the points applied to my purchase. 

LaiceeB18

I go to Ulta only for a few things that Sephora doesn't have like Mario Badescu (love one of that lines eye creams) and NYX. Plus not sure if anyone ever pointed it out, but their points expire (not sure the time limit...?) where as at Sephora they don't. Another plus to Sephora?? I think so.

nikki

(0) Hearts

I don't think points expire if you're platinum at Ulta.

yenx

After reading so many complains about ULTA and their CS. I came out with a conclusion:
It's a Pleasure NOT Doing Business with You :smileyvery-happy:

solveig

(0) Hearts

I shop at Ulta when they send me a discount code, which actually happened twice this January. I mean, if I can get my beloved PTR cleanser which is $78 at Sephora, and it's been OOS for a while now, versus 62.4 at Ulta and readily available; I will definitely go for it (when restrictions allow to do so). I also get some of my bathroom essentials, hair styling products, CK cosmetics, NYX blushes, some other great things not available at Sephora. Luckily, I never had to deal with their CS, as I haven't had any problems with my orders. As far as their order processing and shipping time, I don't mind waiting if I get to save some money.

And maybe the store in my area is an exception from the rule, but the SAs are okay and the store is big, nice and clean. I actually prefer the atmosphere of it to the Sephora store I have nearby, because the music is not so loud and the lighting is more natural, which makes reading swatches a lot more accurate.

punctuationgeek

The only reason I shop at Ulta is to buy Real Techniques brushes--if Sephora carried them, I'm not sure I would step inside an Ulta ever again. The SAs at Ulta just stand around gossiping with each other, and they don't know where anything is located in the store.

Me: "Do you have the Real Techniques (fill in name here) brush?"

*SA walks over to Real Techniques section I was just in*

SA: "Doesn't look like we do."

*I then find the brush I was looking for in another section of the store, on a new RT display*

Then I waited for 10 minutes in a line with ONE PERSON ahead of me, because the SAs are so slow and too busy greeting customers walking into the store.

Sephora, have I told you lately that I love you?

tehprincessjenn

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

That is my reason for going there, I'm waiting for a buy 1 get 1 50%, but I may just get a beautyblender instead of their makeup sponge. 

gogreyhound

i am on the anti-Ulta bandwagon now. I have had bad experiences before with their CS. I used products once that broke me out, and when I returned it, they made me feel like a criminal. plus, the snotty manager told me they wanted me to return skincare in 2 or 3 days...like that is enough time to really tell if it works? I emailed the company about my terrible experience and, surprise! never heard from them. Despite this, I have shopped there from time to time, but love Sephora so much more! Ulta is like the KMart of beauty...it is poorly lit, dirty/messy displays, hard to find help when you need it, and they are always OOS on things. and I have never, ever gotten a sample of anything from there. I have noticed their nail polish displays have really gone downhill. It is Ok for getting a few things, but I like tthe variety and overall experience at Sephora so much better. I told my  hubby today from now on to give me GC from Sephora only, not Ulta.

shoppiturt

(0) Hearts

I did notice that the Sally Hansen and Essie polish displays in my Ulta are always about 80% empty, and part of what's there looks like it has aged on the shelf. :/

tehprincessjenn

(0) Hearts

For my salon polishes like Essie, OPI, I just go to a nail supply store. Prices are half off or at least close to it. And more selection. I can't swatch which sucks for me, but for TSBs, they'll be happy. :smileyvery-happy:

bratknits

Oddly enough your description of Ulta is pretty much how I would describe my closest free standing Sephora.  The SiJCP is better but they have a limited stock.  

kittichick

(0) Hearts

Me too. The first time I went into a Sephora it was a glorious experience. But then I moved. Dang, I miss that other Sephora!

Meanwhile, my nearest Ulta is always clean and brightly lit and the staff are always super helpful! I was afraid to go in there at first because of all the horror stories I'd heard about Ulta. I guess I just lucked out with this branch. 

But I do about 95% of my shopping online, so it doesn't matter that much anyway.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 139 replies
  • 180 hearts
  • 85 in conversation
    • kalex
    • nikki
    • prettyinpa
    • killahbabe
    • shyvicki
    • anaa