Your Views on... ULTA

I dislike the customer service and coupon restrictions. Just tried a coupon that gives NEARLY everything off 20% (even UD) and it didn't work. I wanted the Marc Jacob Daisy So Fresh purse spray. (Not at Sephora) 

Another horror was me driving to one 30 minutes away and kept checking up on the limited edition OPI polishes that were out of stock. They offered to get the items and transfer them to the store. IT TOOK A F****ING MONTH. Of course I got it for free because I was b****ing and whining and probably attempted to cause a scene. I complained about the driving and their incompetence. 

God, what a nightmare. I love you Sephora. 

Re: Your Views on... ULTA

I have similar feelings.  Their shipping is rather slow, and I have been disappointed too many times by the 20% off not applying to what I want, so I don't get too excited anymore. I only buy from there when they are offering a "free gift with $$$ spent" deal, like a makeup bag filled with a bunch of samples or a "beauty break" offer that I like.  I also have a few staple products that Sephora doesn't offer so that I can stock up on them.  I have reduced my shopping at Ulta quite a bit, but now there point system is a little better, so that may help gain my business again.  We'll see...

(0) Hearts

Yes to all of this.  Agree.

(0) Hearts

I think it really depends on how you're dealing with them. I mean, I have a couple freestanding Ulta's nearby and one is definitely better than the other, customer service wise. At the same time, MK89 is right - I've yet to find an ulta that doesn't have a lot of their testers that look either abused or are missing altogether.

Their points system changed this year from 350 to 400, which kind of irks me. And their shipping always takes forever for standard, which is weird to me. I think if you're just going there for the general stuff (drugstore brands or things you know), their sales can be good. For the most part though, I prefer Sephora in terms of speed of shipping and quality of store. But that might just be my store.

(0) Hearts

Ulta is alright. I'm glad they opened up one close to my house because I can go in and test things, even if I plan on buying them from Sephora or elsewhere. Their testers are often gross or missing though :smileysad:

(0) Hearts

I just noticed that at my local Ulta, the UD liners are priced at $20 instead of $19. What is this madness???!!! 

Actually, my nearby Ulta has far better customer service than my closest freestanding Sephora does.  They also have a far better rewards system (lots of GWPs, frequent buy/get sales, and points that you can redeem for store credit...,and you don't have to save up tons to points to start getting credit either).  The coupons can be a bit annoying, but they're getting better at offering ones that cover more products...as far as yours not working, most of the coupons don't cover perfume so that may explain why.

The only thing I really dislike about Ulta is that it takes FOREVER to receive something that you order online with standard shipping.  It's as though they're still using the Pony Express to deliver.

(0) Hearts

Everything you just said.  

Ditto.

I agree with you on the customer service. And I wonder if the shipping thing is based on where you live, because I placed a few orders from Ulta during the holiday time and they got to me pretty fast. Within 2-3 days. The one time they did split up my order into two though, which I don't know why since there was plenty of space in the box. So the other box took longer to arrive.

When I finally reached platinum status at Ulta then they started sending me coupons with less restrictions. I only choose Ulta over Sephora for products that Sephora does not carry or finding the right shade when Ulta is closer. I have learned that it is easier with Ulta just to call the store and ask if they have something so you don't waste your time going there.

Ulta is pretty good in my opinion... nothing too great that I want to shop there all the time. I love that they have 20% off promos quite often (some with tons of exclusions, some with a few, and some with no exclusions). I do like their GWP they have and the point system better! 2,000 points equals to $125 store credit!!! Imagine if Sephora had that same point system!

I think Ulta is nice, but something is off with their branding. Sephora just does a better job of presenting itself. I don't know why...

(0) Hearts

I agree!

I have never really had a terrible experience at Ulta. Sephora  stores are rare where I live, and Ulta is just everywhere. I have shopped at almost 3 or 4 different Ulta stores here, and the employees are never rude or irritating. They always say hi and ask if you need anything.  I have always gotten good recommendations from them if I ever asked for any. I've gotten my hair done at their salon I think twice, and the girl did a great job. If I had to recall one positive memorable experiences from Ulta, it would be the day one of their SA's introduced me to the PTR laser free resurfacer. She didn't push me to buy it on the spot, and made me a generous sample without being asked, which is always nice.

I do like their point system too, I like redeeming my points for dollars off purchase. 

(0) Hearts

I think the Ulta by my house is pretty decent. The girls who've helped have been pretty nice, although one I think does make not so great suggestions sometimes. I went in to return that UD B6 spray (didn't really do anything for me) and somehow I let her talk me into trying something else XD So she squirted this thick white goop by Philosophy on my hand...didn't like that all. That stuff seems gross. I wasn't sure why she showed me a goop when I would really have preferred a spray :X Oh well, she was at least still nice. 

When I was checking out I had to find the email coupon for my bday gift, which took me maybe ten or fifteen minutes. The girls at the register were super patient while I searched for it :smileyhappy: And they always greet you when you come in, or ask if you need help if you look confused (which I apparently always do LOL).

I also like the sales, and the fact that I could just walk in, grab something and see there's a special for it. Like Earth Therapeutics, I got a buy 2 get one half off or so deal. Definitely encouraged me to try more of those products! 

BUT one huge thing I don't like is this weird "gift" system. We don't have the points system down here and I think the free item thing is nice, but the items are all kinda...lame? Or something I wouldn't use. I generally don't use Ulta brand stuff or buy a lot of hair products and that seems like what most of the gifts are. But if it's true we'll be on the points system soon, I MIGHT start buying UD stuff there. 

(0) Hearts

I had issues the last two times I ordered from Ulta online.

The first one, they sent me the wrong item. You have to pay to have items shipped back. I had contacted them about that and they said they'd refund my shipping and I made sure to put a copy of the receipt for the shipping in the package. I got the item refund within a week, but had to practically pull teeth to get the shipping refunded.

The second one was this past Cyber Monday. It took FOREVER for them to even process my order. When I (and dozens of others) complained on Facebook, they just gave a lame, generic answer. It will take a lot for them to get me to order online again.

I've only been in two of their stores, both of which I've been to once each because they are both out of my way. The one in Plainfield, Indiana is one I would gladly go to again. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The one in Indianapolis near Keystone at the Crossing was the total opposite. I was pretty much ignored and the staff all acted like they didn't want to be there plus the store was so disorganized.

(0) Hearts

I don't like Ulta so much. All my in store experiences have been nothing but bad. There's one guy that was absolutely rude to me two times that I've came. First time he rung me up, I already put my phone that has the coupon by the stuff he was scanning but still ignored it and told me my total. So I picked up the phone and handed it to him, He looked at me like something was wrong and said 'oh... you have a coupon.' Second time around he was there ringing me up again and when he was handing my receipt I told him one second please so I can put away my wallet and he just slid the receipt to fall off the table and walked away... Third time I was there this gal was helping me... Took me 10 minutes to get her attention, when I did she right off the bat told me they do not carry 'sock buns' at ulta and walked away. Didn't recommend me to check online or anything. I much prefer Sephora or if I buy drugstore products, I love target. 

I recently started shopping at Ulta more and I LOVE their points system! I've almost got $125 off of any purchase! I feel like earning points is really fast there because they have a lot of double/triple or more points events and you earn 1.25 points per dollar spent if you're platinum. I also can buy any drugstore makeup or toiletries there and earn points! My only problem is that I will just want to keep racking up points so that someday I can have a really huge shopping spree! How will I ever be able to stop?! lol

Unfortunately, this only works like this at some stores/areas of the country.  A good chunk of us are still on the "old" points system which is not nearly as incentivizing.  They've been saying theyre gonna swich us over for years now, and it still hasn't happened.

(0) Hearts

Oh that stinks, nebel! I sure hope it happens soon, so you can get the rewards you deserve!

(0) Hearts

ah, ok, that sucks. :-/ I remember the old point system, and I can honestly say I was NOT crazy about Ulta back then!

My catalog today says they'll be automatically updating to the new system on FEB 23!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments