tehprincessjenn

Your Views on... ULTA

I dislike the customer service and coupon restrictions. Just tried a coupon that gives NEARLY everything off 20% (even UD) and it didn't work. I wanted the Marc Jacob Daisy So Fresh purse spray. (Not at Sephora) 

Another horror was me driving to one 30 minutes away and kept checking up on the limited edition OPI polishes that were out of stock. They offered to get the items and transfer them to the store. IT TOOK A F****ING MONTH. Of course I got it for free because I was b****ing and whining and probably attempted to cause a scene. I complained about the driving and their incompetence. 

God, what a nightmare. I love you Sephora. 

calamityjane85

Re: Your Views on... ULTA

(0) Hearts

The only thing I like about ulta is the sales flyer they send in the mail. I love looking through the pages and circling things I want to try. I wish sephora would do more frequent sales and send out flyers  like Ulta  does. That's fun. 

jojobe

Mine is mixed as well, but my orders take a week to arrive no matter which one I use. I like Ulta because like most, the cash back off of purchases and 20% off. My Sephora orders sit in the warehouse for 3-5 days before shipping. Once it gets a label it is normally 2-3 days before it ships if it is coming from the MD distribution center. If it ships from Utah I get it in 2 days. Ulta had a larger selection of items for hairstyling as well. For flat irons/ curiling irons you can spend 120.00 or 169.00. There is not really any other options. It really depends also on what promos Ulta has. A couple of weeks ago I got a bliss bag full of samples, along with 3 extra bliss items , 2 vichy items, Plus my 3 free samples and 3.50 off with free shipping. I got over 100.00 worth of things for 50.00

So Sephoras perks have been getting worse and worse what other companies offer for free with no code. Especially fragrances. Macys, Nordies, Ulta  and department stores all have them where it automatically adds. Sephora is one of the only places this costs you a promo code. I would think they want their products sold, and IF I have a choice I usually go Ulta, Plus their platinum is only 400.00 I think where Rouge is 1000. 

I only buy LE items or items carried by Sephora only like Kat Von D etc. 

bad823

[ Edited ]

To be quite honest, I get more out of Ulta than Sephora.  All of the money I spent at Sephora last year never went toward VIB, I got the points, but not $$ towards VIB.  My acct was messed up on so many levels & the girl at Sep/JCP kept telling I was a VIB when I certainly was not.  Right now at Ulta, I'm sitting on a 20% off most prestige, 20% off non prestige, $3.50 off $10 & $5 off $15 coupons. 

ETA: I did have a problem with my acct at Ulta, when I called to get it corrected, they immediately corrected it & gave me all points/money spent toward my acct that I should have gotten in the first place, Sephora did not. 

LM14

(0) Hearts

the same happened to me with Ulta. I somehow had two different accounts with them and I emailed their customer service and they fixed it immediately so now all my in-store and online purchases show up on one account instead of separately. I also love their coupons too :smileyhappy: 

annypoo

[ Edited ]

I like their coupons. Yes, most of the time they do not include prestige brand, but the coupons are available every week. That's like saying you want Sephora to have a coupon every week (Yes we all want, but its not going to happen). They do have 20% off prestige brands once in a while, with very little exclusions. I've gotten 2 since the new year has started. As for their points system, I do like it that their reward is a $ amount off your purchase. And they often have sample size GWP which is nice because Sephora doesn't seem to have very many in-store ones.

Now what I don't like about Ulta is their slow shipping. No way would they ever beat Sephora's 3 day shipping. It took over a week for me to receive my package. I also prefer Sephora's customer service over Ulta's. The girls sometimes seem like they don't even want to help you and when I do return something, they make me feel kind of uncomfortable. Sorry I didn't like the item. I've also gone to their salon and it's so-so, depending on who you get. I think I'm paying for an overpriced service. I can get a cut/color elsewhere that is cheaper and just as good, if not better. I do live in an area with an abundant amount of salons.

Luckily for me, both Sephora and Ulta are only 1 freeway exit away, so I may choose to my liking. I do prefer to shop at Sephora, but I will shop at Ulta when they offer a limited edition item, a different brand, or a 20% off coupon on prestige items.

aviscardi

I have a love/hate relationship. There is only one store close like within 15min driving, but unless i go with a friend then i really don't go. Ive been there twice in the past yr+ its been open so i order online mostly. I order when i need ponds wipes, nyx on bogo. or maybe some drugstore stuff that is hard to find near me. Most of the time it takes 5-7 days to get to me. I usually don't go there for high end stuff

itsjaimiehere

Oh I absolutely LOVE Ulta!! I get a coupon every month for 20% off with hardly any exclusions, and they always work for me. My last coupon only excluded Naked 3 and the Benefit Brow Bar. With their rewards program, I have gotten hundreds of dollars worth of Prestige makeup... My Naked 3 was completely free after using my points. In addition to the great coupons and rewards, my Ulta has amazing SA's. They are super friendly and don't hover over you like you are a thief. Anything that I can purchase at Ulta, I do!

rdesigns

Ulta has sent me three 20% off coupons this month, which I am very happy about. They really seem to be trying hard lately to be competitive.  I also like the dollars for points - it has given me some freebies as well :smileyhappy:

LM14

(0) Hearts

same here! love their 20% off coupons :smileyhappy:

MicheleRan

Maybe my store doesn't do it, but I've NEVER gotten a sample at Ulta. I've never ordered online so I can't speak to that experience.

stephyd216

Ulta never gives me samples either, I've been to two of them near my hometown. I've even asked "Do you offer samples, like Sephora does?". I received a response of "No, we pride ourselves on product knowledge, so we don't have to waste time with samples". Say what?

AlwaysGlamorous

"No, we pride ourselves on product knowledge, so we don't have to waste time with samples". 

Even if that were true, that statement sounds defensive and not very client-centric. I'd rather just have someone say flat out "No." then something that makes me suddenly want to challenge said "product knowledge". 

manniface

Challenge it! Challenge it!

prettyinpa

I'm among the few here who have had positive experiences at ULTA. The SA's are always friendly and helpful (even if they can be ignorant of what their store actually carries, they always scurry to find someone there who does know). They are always giving me free foils or deluxe samples at checkout, without asking, and I'm a fan of how often they have all-inclusive 20% off sales. Yeah, many of the monthly 20% off sales do exclude prestige skincare and fragrance, but I am actually able to hold off my purchases until the sale covers everything.

As for online shopping, I think though they take longer than some places, it's way faster than HauteLook, so it's all relative.

crayzeeRN

I very rarely shop there any more, usually just for drugstore makeup or brands that Sephora doesn't carry- although I am more likely to order them off beautydotcom at this point.

Their customer service, both in store and online are terrible. None of the SA's know anything about their products. And I am endlessly frustrated the times I try to place online orders- the GWPs and promo codes very frequently do not apply properly. Not to mention, the two times I have received orders from them, the packaging was absolutely terrible.

DandyLionFluff

I like Ulta.  With the points you accumulate from purchases you can save a lot of money on prestige brands.

The coupons often exclude prestige brands, but the accumulated points you can use on the prestige.  

With the points I have earned, I have gotten a full set of Too Faced brushes for free.  

One of the best deals ever was when I was able to use a 20% coupon, and my points to take the price of the Clarisonic Pedi (regularly priced $200) down to $80.

I have only shopped in store, not online with them.

kalex

I like Ulta and generally have good experiences there.  Like Syd mentioned shipping is slow and they don't always notify you when they ship though.  With my last order I received an extra deluxe sized sample so that was a nice surprise.  

As for the salon, I had gel nails done the other day and they started peeling up after just 3 days!  I had redeemed 500 points to have it done and when I went in to gripe they offered to redo them for free or refund my points.  I chose to get my points and had to call CS to do it - she was very nice about it and refunded them immediately.

glossyguru

I've never actually been to an Ulta, I don't think there is one in my area. I've just always bought from Sephora, and I've heard bad shipping experiences so I'm not going to order from them online unless there's a really awesome deal.

IttyxBittyxMe

I personally can't stand Ulta as their customer service is horrible at the store in my area and I hate how their website operates so I generally avoid it at all costs. I've only bought maybe three things out of there in the past year, and one of them was because Sephora's 'Find in Store' option messed up and told me something was sold out when it most definitely wasn't. 

SydBristow

I have only ordered from them a couple of times.  Yes shipping is slow and I don't usually get a notice when they ship so it's sort of a surprise when items show up.  I happened to place an order with them yesterday and was overcharged (was charged for a promotional item that was supposed to be free).  I sent an email right away when I saw the error - will let you know how they address it.

Had a few bumps in the road yesterday overall, and getting overcharged really got to me for some reason.  I'm sure it was just some software glitch or whatever, but makes me feel like I need to be adding up my cart every time with a calculator before making purchases.  :smileysad:

The other orders went smoothly though. 

bratknits

I don't mind waiting for Ulta's delivery, I used my points at the beginning of the month for $125.00 off a purchase.  They don't have silly limits on Black Friday items, I needed 10 of the Art of Shaving kits for all my nephews and the Sephora limit was 2 so I got the rest at Ulta along with a lot of other stocking stuffers and what not.  The Sephora point perks are getting smaller and smaller, down to 3 samples for 500 points.  I'm back to giving Ulta most of my money, I was tempted last year by Rouge but I've regained my senses now.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 113 replies
  • 154 hearts
  • 75 in conversation
    • kalex
    • nikki
    • prettyinpa
    • killahbabe
    • shyvicki
    • anaa