tehprincessjenn

Your Views on... ULTA

I dislike the customer service and coupon restrictions. Just tried a coupon that gives NEARLY everything off 20% (even UD) and it didn't work. I wanted the Marc Jacob Daisy So Fresh purse spray. (Not at Sephora) 

Another horror was me driving to one 30 minutes away and kept checking up on the limited edition OPI polishes that were out of stock. They offered to get the items and transfer them to the store. IT TOOK A F****ING MONTH. Of course I got it for free because I was b****ing and whining and probably attempted to cause a scene. I complained about the driving and their incompetence. 

God, what a nightmare. I love you Sephora. 

redwagon44

Re: Your Views on... ULTA

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm pretty much done with Ulta, at least in store.

I went there this week to hit up the Napoleon Perdis sale. The girls were rude, and only addressed me when asking me why I was swatching so many items. (Nobody, mind you, offered to show me where to get a tissue or makeup remover, btw). The store was dirty, testers were missing, and things were misplaced.

Then, when I checked out, the lady made a comment like 'oh, stocking up?' And I told her I was just excited about half off Napoleon items, and she seemed surprised, like she had no clue they were on sale. She then went on a rant about how it was good they WERE on sale because 'who in their right mind would spend $50 on a blush?'

...um, lady, you work at a store that carries some high end brands. I'm clearly purchasing them, and you saw my platinum status. Probably not good to alienate your customers.

Barbie20

(0) Hearts

You cant really hate ULTA because they have sales every single day / week on makeup and they give you free products and a lot of them when you buy designer makeup as well as ULTA brand.They also give you coupons in their weekly ads so I cant say I have any issues with shopping there.

Barbie20

(0) Hearts

I almost laughed when I read that Ulta has the worst customer service because I have had very bad experiences with sephoras customer service when I shopped in store there. Granted I understand its a retail job and I would hate working a job like that too but this woman was miserable and I must have spent near 115 dollars on makeup or 150 I dont remember but she didnt even offer me free samples lol or beauty rewards or anything and the look on her face was pure I hate my life and anyone in this store shopping here lol.I almost wanted to not get in her line but when they yell out I can take the next customer you really have no other choice lol so I had no other options but to get in her line.

Anyways back to the discussion Ulta has better free stuff than sephora when it comes to their holiday freebies they give away on / near black friday they give out better rewards.Ulta has a rewards program also set up you can get freebies as well and free samples.I like to shop at ULTA for makeup because they offer Mally and O.P.I and  a lot of makeup products that sephora doesnt sell ULTA does sell so I think they leave me no choice but to stray because they also dont offer Azature nail polish  neither does ulta but you get the idea here.ULTA also has a lot of sales all the time a lot more frequently than sephora does in fact and they have coupons and unlike sephora they will let you use your coupons lol.

Azalea14

(0) Hearts

Our Ulta has the worse customer service! HORRIBLE. When I go in there, it's either two ladies talking and gossiping and no one to help me, or one lady trying to help everyone because no one wants to do their job... But before I keep on I only go in there for the Simple face wipes and cotton pads.

mommyto4

I typically don't rant about much, but I'm super irritated with Ulta.  I bought a foundation by IT Cosmetics and a couple other small things to hit $50.00 since I was planning on using my reward points.  I ended up paying a little over $2.00 for my purchase.  I ended up hating the foundation, which is a first for me.  I went to return the foundation today and was told all they would give me for it was the $2.37 I paid originally.  I said that was fine and asked if my points that I used would go back onto my card.  The SA said no, that rewards are like coupons.  If you return the item you lose your point like you would the original coupon.

I didn't know this about Ulta and am super disappointed.  Especially since this is the first item I have ever returned something to Ulta.  I'm already not a fan of Ulta as their selection is limited, they don't carry a lot of the brands I love, and shipping is super slow.  This was last nail in the coffin for me with them. 

kariyava

(0) Hearts

How sad!  I didn't know that either -- good to know for future reference: only spend points on things you know you're going to keep!

makeupobesessed

Ulta to me is a store I go to when they have some awesome sales, like the 20% off coupon...and since I need drugstore items anyway, instead of buying from Target or elsewhere, I will go to Ulta and earn the points.  I do not typically go to Ulta for makeup advice or the like, therefore, I do not have bad experiences.  I also on't go in expecting superior customer service, bc I just don't.  I set the bar lower for Ulta, mostly acting as if it were like any other drug store.  I havent ordered online, I have an Ulta very closeby, and the few times I see an online only deal, I have gone into the store and sweet talked a cashier into allowing me to purchase in store...like the Chi flat iron that was recently half off...

I will however be fearful of a MA coming near me with unwashed hands from now on.

lylysa

LOL about the unwashed hands bit, Makeupobsessed!

I know it's tougher for the MAs on the sales floor to wash because running back and fourth to the sink in the salon/restroom can be tough inbetween all customers, but I know they have hand sanitizer at least, but to me, the esthetician that didn't wash her hands was the ultimate no-no. The MAs on the floor aren't required to be schooled or licensed but the esthetician is, so if anything she should have known better, I KNOW they had to have mentioned "wash your hands" when she was in school.

Now I'm thinking her hands were extra filthy when she gave me her card.:-/

makeupobesessed

Lylysa- it doesn't matter who you are---is there EVER a reason to use the restroom and NOT wash?  Other than if there is no soap and/or running water...but still

lylysa

That, I totally understand! Since she was in/using the restroom she should have washed, my above comment was in reference to MAs on the sales floor who haven't visited the restroom. Older Ulta store designs had sinks available on the sales floor at make up stations so MAs could wash before and after (or even during) consultations, but those got removed. :smileysad:

makeupobesessed

OMG Lylysa, I knew what you meant!!!  I just didnt say it that way- sometimes the way I hear myself write comes out meaning a whole different thing!  So sorry!

lylysa

LOL! No worries! Additional clarification never hurt anyone. :smileyhappy:

lylysa

My views on Ulta can vary depending on each shopping experience I have.

I will say that during one Christmas a few years back there was some issue with getting an order fulfilled and due to coupons/discounts I was shorted about $20 or $40. The purchase was through PayPal so they referred me to Ulta direct and I got the runaround (referred back to PayPal) and eventually the whole thing became a mess. I got transferred to folks nonstop on Ulta's CS phone line, no one seemed to grasp that when I purchased the items they were marked for a different price because they were on sale (this issue spanned long enough to where they went off sale/back to regular price) and it lead no where. I got so frustrated because I was dealing with other ties in holiday shopping I just chalked it up to a loss.

The last time I ordered online they left out my samples entirely. This isn't a super huge issue, but I did think it was odd as even my invoice had a marked sampler but it wasn't fulfilled. I know things can go our of stock, and it's not like I haven' received substitutions before from online Sephora orders, but it appeared that Ulta didn't even think to offer a substitution sampler pack.

My store experiences tend to be mediocre. When I shop I know what I'm looking for so short of asking of something is in stock (which I try to check online for availability or call ahead just to save a trip), there's not much reason to interact with employees, but it's few and far inbetween do I even get approached or greeted. At check out, I don't hear any offers of whatever magazine subscription they're suppose to push nor have I heard about events. In fact, I was just at Ulta this weekend and rather than get told about the 21 Days of Beauty event coming up I had no clue until I got home and saw a flyer was stuffed into my bag.

In fact, this bit pertains to my most recent Ulta visit, my friend and I went to color match her in Dermablend, we did get asked if we needed assistance, floor employees were polite and not pushy, so no big deal. The esthetician came up and introduced herself and gave me her card, but this is where the visit makes a turn and makes me cringe....

After color matching and testing out product my friend and I go to the restroom to wash off the make up at the sinks (only two available, she's washing her arm and I'm washing my hands). We hear the toilet flush, out walks the esthetician, I move out of the way so she can wash but instead she just smiles at both of us as we make eye contact with her and walks right out the restroom! WITHOUT WASHING HER HANDS!!!!!

I cannot even begin to yell out all the "NO NO NO NO NO EW EW EW EW GROSS ICK ICK GROSS YUCK YUCK NO NO NO!!!!!" exclamations in my head! I understand the salon outside has sinks and the wash area in the bathroom is a bit crowded, but c'mon!!!! She clearly saw that I moved out of the way for her to wash but NOPE, she just bypassed all that! Even if she were to wash her hands in the salon sinks, why in the world would you not uphold the image of cleanliness as a licensed professional (and even just in general) who touches and works with people's faces?!?!?!???!! Bleghhhh.....needless to say neither my friend or I would ever book at that store. 

Zpsid91

Ewww...ew, ew, ew, ew...that is gross!

lylysa

I know!!! Blagghhhhhhh I shudder when I think of it!

jozkid

Have these people not seen "Contagion"??????

lylysa

It just BLEW my mind!!!!! *barf*

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

The last two times I ordered from Ulta online I had issues. The last time they took forever processing my order. The time before they sent me the wrong item. When I called, they said that I could get the cost of shipping it back to them refunded as well as the product refund. While I got the product refund fairly quickly, it took teeth pulling to get my shipping refunded.

I've been to two Ulta stores in the Indianapolis area. The one in Plainfield is wonderful. The staff was very friendly and helpful. If it wasn't so out-of-the-way for me, I'd go there more often since Ulta carries makeup pallets Sephora doesn't. The one on the northeast side was the total opposite. They all acted like they didn't want to be there and hardly spoke a word to me. Plus the store looked disorganized. 

annypoo

I went to Ulta to make a purchase and get my free birthday gift today. Of course they were out of stock. SThey told me I could try another store, which is out of the way. Sigh, I swear their stocking system is really bad. I've gone multiple times look for certain items and it looks like its never in stock. If I ever ask them to check in the drawers below, they give me an attitude for making their job so difficult. I've never had Sephora tell me they were out of a birthday gift. 

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

There's a free bday gift at Ulta?  is this a new thing?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 135 replies
  • 180 hearts
  • 83 in conversation
    • kalex
    • nikki
    • prettyinpa
    • killahbabe
    • shyvicki
    • anaa