tehprincessjenn

Your Views on... ULTA

I dislike the customer service and coupon restrictions. Just tried a coupon that gives NEARLY everything off 20% (even UD) and it didn't work. I wanted the Marc Jacob Daisy So Fresh purse spray. (Not at Sephora) 

Another horror was me driving to one 30 minutes away and kept checking up on the limited edition OPI polishes that were out of stock. They offered to get the items and transfer them to the store. IT TOOK A F****ING MONTH. Of course I got it for free because I was b****ing and whining and probably attempted to cause a scene. I complained about the driving and their incompetence. 

God, what a nightmare. I love you Sephora. 

makeupobesessed

Re: Your Views on... ULTA

Ulta to me is a store I go to when they have some awesome sales, like the 20% off coupon...and since I need drugstore items anyway, instead of buying from Target or elsewhere, I will go to Ulta and earn the points.  I do not typically go to Ulta for makeup advice or the like, therefore, I do not have bad experiences.  I also on't go in expecting superior customer service, bc I just don't.  I set the bar lower for Ulta, mostly acting as if it were like any other drug store.  I havent ordered online, I have an Ulta very closeby, and the few times I see an online only deal, I have gone into the store and sweet talked a cashier into allowing me to purchase in store...like the Chi flat iron that was recently half off...

I will however be fearful of a MA coming near me with unwashed hands from now on.

lylysa

LOL about the unwashed hands bit, Makeupobsessed!

I know it's tougher for the MAs on the sales floor to wash because running back and fourth to the sink in the salon/restroom can be tough inbetween all customers, but I know they have hand sanitizer at least, but to me, the esthetician that didn't wash her hands was the ultimate no-no. The MAs on the floor aren't required to be schooled or licensed but the esthetician is, so if anything she should have known better, I KNOW they had to have mentioned "wash your hands" when she was in school.

Now I'm thinking her hands were extra filthy when she gave me her card.:-/

makeupobesessed

Lylysa- it doesn't matter who you are---is there EVER a reason to use the restroom and NOT wash?  Other than if there is no soap and/or running water...but still

lylysa

That, I totally understand! Since she was in/using the restroom she should have washed, my above comment was in reference to MAs on the sales floor who haven't visited the restroom. Older Ulta store designs had sinks available on the sales floor at make up stations so MAs could wash before and after (or even during) consultations, but those got removed. :smileysad:

makeupobesessed

OMG Lylysa, I knew what you meant!!!  I just didnt say it that way- sometimes the way I hear myself write comes out meaning a whole different thing!  So sorry!

lylysa

LOL! No worries! Additional clarification never hurt anyone. :smileyhappy:

lylysa

My views on Ulta can vary depending on each shopping experience I have.

I will say that during one Christmas a few years back there was some issue with getting an order fulfilled and due to coupons/discounts I was shorted about $20 or $40. The purchase was through PayPal so they referred me to Ulta direct and I got the runaround (referred back to PayPal) and eventually the whole thing became a mess. I got transferred to folks nonstop on Ulta's CS phone line, no one seemed to grasp that when I purchased the items they were marked for a different price because they were on sale (this issue spanned long enough to where they went off sale/back to regular price) and it lead no where. I got so frustrated because I was dealing with other ties in holiday shopping I just chalked it up to a loss.

The last time I ordered online they left out my samples entirely. This isn't a super huge issue, but I did think it was odd as even my invoice had a marked sampler but it wasn't fulfilled. I know things can go our of stock, and it's not like I haven' received substitutions before from online Sephora orders, but it appeared that Ulta didn't even think to offer a substitution sampler pack.

My store experiences tend to be mediocre. When I shop I know what I'm looking for so short of asking of something is in stock (which I try to check online for availability or call ahead just to save a trip), there's not much reason to interact with employees, but it's few and far inbetween do I even get approached or greeted. At check out, I don't hear any offers of whatever magazine subscription they're suppose to push nor have I heard about events. In fact, I was just at Ulta this weekend and rather than get told about the 21 Days of Beauty event coming up I had no clue until I got home and saw a flyer was stuffed into my bag.

In fact, this bit pertains to my most recent Ulta visit, my friend and I went to color match her in Dermablend, we did get asked if we needed assistance, floor employees were polite and not pushy, so no big deal. The esthetician came up and introduced herself and gave me her card, but this is where the visit makes a turn and makes me cringe....

After color matching and testing out product my friend and I go to the restroom to wash off the make up at the sinks (only two available, she's washing her arm and I'm washing my hands). We hear the toilet flush, out walks the esthetician, I move out of the way so she can wash but instead she just smiles at both of us as we make eye contact with her and walks right out the restroom! WITHOUT WASHING HER HANDS!!!!!

I cannot even begin to yell out all the "NO NO NO NO NO EW EW EW EW GROSS ICK ICK GROSS YUCK YUCK NO NO NO!!!!!" exclamations in my head! I understand the salon outside has sinks and the wash area in the bathroom is a bit crowded, but c'mon!!!! She clearly saw that I moved out of the way for her to wash but NOPE, she just bypassed all that! Even if she were to wash her hands in the salon sinks, why in the world would you not uphold the image of cleanliness as a licensed professional (and even just in general) who touches and works with people's faces?!?!?!???!! Bleghhhh.....needless to say neither my friend or I would ever book at that store. 

Zpsid91

Ewww...ew, ew, ew, ew...that is gross!

lylysa

I know!!! Blagghhhhhhh I shudder when I think of it!

jozkid

Have these people not seen "Contagion"??????

lylysa

It just BLEW my mind!!!!! *barf*

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

The last two times I ordered from Ulta online I had issues. The last time they took forever processing my order. The time before they sent me the wrong item. When I called, they said that I could get the cost of shipping it back to them refunded as well as the product refund. While I got the product refund fairly quickly, it took teeth pulling to get my shipping refunded.

I've been to two Ulta stores in the Indianapolis area. The one in Plainfield is wonderful. The staff was very friendly and helpful. If it wasn't so out-of-the-way for me, I'd go there more often since Ulta carries makeup pallets Sephora doesn't. The one on the northeast side was the total opposite. They all acted like they didn't want to be there and hardly spoke a word to me. Plus the store looked disorganized. 

annypoo

I went to Ulta to make a purchase and get my free birthday gift today. Of course they were out of stock. SThey told me I could try another store, which is out of the way. Sigh, I swear their stocking system is really bad. I've gone multiple times look for certain items and it looks like its never in stock. If I ever ask them to check in the drawers below, they give me an attitude for making their job so difficult. I've never had Sephora tell me they were out of a birthday gift. 

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

There's a free bday gift at Ulta?  is this a new thing?

annypoo

I think it started either this year or last year. It's a full size CK mascara. It says its an $18 value. 

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

I'm going to be all over that next time I make it in...my bday was in Feb.

Crazy4Sephora1

(0) Hearts

I mostly go to Ulta to get my hair cut and she is the best stylist I ever had.  I went to a very exclusive salon for a year and told the stylist at the beginning that I went to a different salon for my color and I didn't plan on leaving.  A year later, she just freaked out and told me I was "effecting her emotional well being" by seeing my roots and not to come back unless I had my hair colored prior.  I went to Ulta which is only four miles away from my house and never looked back.

I do prefer Sephora over Ulta. If you ask for a sample at Ulta, they look at you like you are crazy but then get snotty if you have returns. It also takes them forever to restock. I had a rain check for ROC and it took them over a month to get the product back in.

Also, be aware that Ulta monitors your returns. If you do too many returns (Ulta won't state how many is too many) you will be put on list that is sent to stores and labeled a "problem customer." It happened to me after 15 years of being a customer and they announced this in front of other employees and customers. I was never so embarrassed in my life.

serioustree

(0) Hearts

Honestly, I go to Sephora expecting GREAT customer service, versus Ulta, when I DONT expected amazing customer service. 

My assumption:

Sephora only has big name brand products. Their associates should be paid well enough to be trained in providing amazing service. Ulta on the other hand recieves a large portion of their income through drugstore products. They most likely get paid a bit less and are expected to be well versed in each brand. 

When I go into ulta, I go for a specific product. I check out. I expect customer service to not be amazing, but I do expect adequate attention as a shopper. When I go into sephora, I know what I want but would also like to explore, Sephora is great at sharing new brands to me (depending on which store).  

The bar I hold for sephora is much higher than the bar I hold for ulta. And honestly, I love sephora but their customer service is beginning to lack at the one I go to. I ALWAYS CONSISTENTLY get amazing customer service at Nordstrom. I have been spending $$$$ there now and would have reached Rouge at sephora if I wanted to.  I don't care much for points at sephora when the gwp + consistent customer service is always +1 ahead at nordstrom. 

evno

(0) Hearts

I do like Ulta because there's a wider selection of products in general, so I love looking at everything. The downside, though, is that the customer service isn't so personalized and that the displays and products are often ransacked. I almost bought an eye primer that was already opened! :smileytongue:  

jaha8005

One of the things I do like about Ulta over Sephora is that they do offer more coupons.  Sometimes they are limited and not valid on prestige brands, but they do offer more coupons than Sephora.  Also, I like the fact that Ulta also has lower priced brands, where I think Sephora carries more "high end" brands.  Also, Ulta lets me use my points on purchases, which really helps out.  Sephora just offers tiny sample size products you can redeem with your points.  I would rather have the points applied to my purchase. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 129 replies
  • 174 hearts
  • 79 in conversation
    • kalex
    • nikki
    • prettyinpa
    • killahbabe
    • shyvicki
    • anaa