katie1724

Yea or Nay: Do you ever feel uncomfortable when someone asks "How much was that?"?

I know a lot of us spend a decent amount of money on skincare and cosmetics, and I'm guessing on other things, too (bags, clothing, shoes, etc.). Do people in your life ever ask you how much something cost? I don't know about you, but sometimes I feel awkward, or as if I have to defend why I would spend $45 on blush, for instance (or more on a bag, a coat, etc.). I often try to deflect this with a vague "Too much!" or "Not that much!" etc. What are your thoughts?

tbot

Re: Yea or Nay: Do you ever feel uncomfortable when someone asks "How much was that?"?

[ Edited ]

Depends how much I spent! A lot of my clothes I buy used- the city I live in has a lot of very wealthy people and  the charity shops are awesome. I have no problem telling anybody that I dropped $6 on a cashmere sweater. On the other hand, I've got a fancy and not at all practical cardigan that was $90 and I have always evaded the question of its cost. Some people ask costs because they dig your style and are honestly wondering if it's in their price range, and I'll be straight with them, but other people just want to hear a high price to make themselves feel superior.

I have a painting background. Up until I started university I thought that I was just garbage at watercolour, I hated it. Then I was required to buy a proper set- cotton paper ($5-20/sheet), natural high pigment paint ($10-25 each), soft animal hair brushes (same as make up brushes) suddenly I could paint! I've never even bothered with makeup until recently because obviously good face paint is even more expensive than artist'spaint because it has be safe to put on my face. I'd rather not wear makeup at all than deal with crappy brushes, poor formulas and colours, and ingredients that irritate and damage my skin. So if any of you have artist friends who give you flak about makeup, just ask them how much they spend on paint and if they would ever put it on their face.

I've gotten a bit of "you spent HOW much?!" attitude on what I'd call investment pieces. My Hanpu Koubou canvas satchel was about $80 and my mom was shocked. Over 6 years it's been to 3 countries, dragged outside in all weather full of paints and books, and still no damage, just patina. Way more frugal than getting something cheap and replacing it every year. I find it very easy to justify spending money on quality.

katie1724

Re: Yea or Nay: Do you ever feel uncomfortable when someone asks "How much was that?"?

(0) Hearts

Thanks for all of the great feedback! I posted this at work one day, while I was thinking about it, and I never followed up; I think the thread must have been buried by the time I got home. I forgot to mention this in my initial post, but I don't really mind if someone like an acquaintance or coworker asks me (I do think it's kind of impolite, though) how much I spent on something, it's the dreaded "Oh, that's a nice bag...how much did THAT cost?" from people close to me that always makes me feel embarrassed (as if I should have spent the money on something else), etc.

YouAreAlways

It doesnt really bother me, I might kind of low ball. I would rather me tell them like it was no big deal, then play it like I didnt spend anything and them find out later it was really expensive. 

irenet

Yea all the way here. I think some people look at it like someone who would spend thousands on a hand bag or more on shoes and clothes. Many of friends don't shop at Sephora and when I do go in with one, they are overwhelmed with the prices. There have been times where I've had to defend myself and my choices. It reminds me of the great Sex and the City episode where Carrie's expensive shoes were stolen and her friend didn't want to pay for it because they were too expensive anyway. What I do with my money is my business. As long as my bills are paid and I'm not doing drugs my money is not your problem. Still it would be nice to be able to talk to my friends that way I do with you all here.

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I remember that episode! :smileyhappy:

lovinglondon

A Woman's Right to Shoes. Great episode and example. 

lovinglondon

[ Edited ]

I don’t enjoy the question but I know how to answer it. We all see value in different things and who’s to say what is right or wrong? I won’t buy cereal unless it’s on sale, but I’ll drop $30 on a tweezer. This makes perfect sense to me and since it’s my money that’s all that matters.

This year I got flak from my other brother for paying someone $350 to shovel my driveway for the season. So I told him, unless he wanted to do it for me he should keep his mount shut. 

DitzCore

I'm the same way! haha! At least those tweezers are staying, after you eat that bowl of cereal, what do you have to show?

LaiceeB18

[ Edited ]

"I don't feel uncomfortable when someone asks how much something was, but I turn into a monster when they shame me for my expensive tastes." 

Going to agree with Ditz on that. I have moved up in the world and have worked hard for my money (amusement park, lifegurading, then retail, and now in factory work. This is my 4th job..) If I want to spend my money on something indulgent like this and you can't deal I'm (not) sorry when I say screw off and do what you do.....

Oh my god that was kinda.. like angry.. I promise I'm a nice person in real life most of the time :smileyhappy:

DitzCore

I don't feel uncomfortable when someone asks how much something was, but I turn into a monster when they shame me for my expensive tastes.

Generally, I make them feel bad when the shaming starts. I first point out where I work, as I work in a major electric and gas distributor where I live, so I make good money. I point out that my boyfriend works in pipe and fluid lines and also makes good money. I don't have kids, I'm not in debt, I pay my bills on time, I don't have a credit card these purchases go onto, I only do debit (unless it's online shopping, then it gets paid off right away).

Most of the time, people feel bad after. I know I have my life in check so don't you dare try and make me feel bad for my hobbies.

I don't mind sharing the amount I've spent though. :smileyhappy:

sundaespal

I swear my mom has inventoried the contents of my closet in her mind somehow. She notices every new bag, every new shirt, every new piece of jewelry. "Ooh! Is that new?" Every time. Then she wants to know where I got it and when. Sigh. The truth is I get most of my bags on sale, often 50%-75% off retail price. I have money for them because I lived very frugally in my 20s, and don't spend money on things like nice restaurants or vacations. Lots of people who judge me drop the cost of one my designer bags on a dinner.

katie1724

This (your response) is precisely why I posted the question! I would rather tell a total stranger how much something cost, but I seriously dread the "That's nice...how much was it?" or "That's new...how much was it?" from anyone in my family, because they are a bit more practical than I am (some of them, anyway), and I always feel ashamed that I didn't save the money, or spend it on something else. I agree with you, too, in that I don't always pay full retail value for things (but they still wind up being more than the person asking would ever pay). :smileyhappy:

MarB87

To be completely honest, I've asked other people that question if they're wearing something I really like and I want to own it, but I'm trying to figure out if it fits within my budget at the time. I don't usually get offended if I'm asked that particular question unless it's made in a judgmental tone (and I've had people do this...especially family members). If they're questioning me just to comment on my spending habits, I'm a grown woman and unless they're going to pay my bills they don't have any business worrying about how I spend my money. Period. I usually just politely redirect the convo or keep my answer vague and short. 

glossyguru

I feel the same way, very uncomfortable and don't know what to say, usually just "i don't know" or "I don't remember"

kellsmuneoka

I can't stand it. People honestly judge me and think I'm crazy because of the amount I spend on makeup, clothes, etc. IT'S NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS. It's so rude that people judge you because of the amount you spend on certain items. My mom thinks that it's a waste of money and she makes me feel terrible because she says so much rude things about the things that I love. I'm gonna spend ridiculous amounts of money on stuff I love and I don't care what you say about it. Paris-Hilton.gif.pagespeed.ce.SbP528h9Jx.gif

katie1724

(0) Hearts

Yes! This is exactly why I asked -- sometimes my close friends or family ask how much something was, and if I'm honest, it tends to elicit the shaming jaw drop reaction (even if it wasn't that much) because it's more than they would spend on whatever it is (be it cosmetics, a coat, a bag, etc.). I always feel embarrassed, or that I should have saved it or spent it on something different. :smileyhappy:

Teresaanne92

(0) Hearts

Hahaha love the Paris Hilton gif with it! It's all "I'm fabulous, deal with it!" :smileyvery-happy:

ry22

I prefer to deflect if I think they are going to judge. But if they are interested in buying it for themselves, I tell the price. If they look shocked, I may say I got it on sale or in a value set (if its true).

jxw200

i have a bag that cost $800 and the only time i was uncomfortable talking about what it was or how much was with two coworkers bc they laughed :smileysad: But in general if people ask about how much things are or whatever, i'll be honest. I don't care what people think cause a) i buy things that are worth it to me and b) it is my money lol.

sometimes coworkers are like dang how do you have so much money and i don't mind that either, i either joke that i'm spending my fiance's money (probably true) or remind them that i bring lunch everyday and don't spend money on starbucks/anything except my beauty obsession and the fashion stuff i like to invest in lol. and i don't have a fancy new car, etc etc. hey i know what my priorities are lol 

sephoralovex

[ Edited ]

When random people ask me, I tell them. Because if they judge me or say something unnecessary I really don't care because it's not their money I used. But when family or relatives ask I don't like it one bit. They judge me and they talk about me and what I buy. My aunt for example always ask me how much my makeup cost... ex. Naked Palette. She said why would you spend that much. Or my ABH Brow Wiz... she said that it's a waste of money yet she still wants it. My grandma on the other hand is much worse to me than anyone else. I have a pair of Tory Burch flats and one day she asked me and I told her it was close to $300 after tax and she went home to tell my dad to tell me to stop wasting money on things I dont need. I mean as long as I can support myself and have extra money leftover to use, why cant I use it for me on what I want? When people/family/friends say why would I spend that much on _____. I just say it's worth the price and I prefer it.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 240 hearts
  • 58 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • lovinglondon
    • prettyinpa
    • killahbabe
    • anaa
    • sephoralovex