missrmessner

Words you never spell correctly...no matter how hard you try!

You know those words that you think you know how to spell, but every time you type them, you are faced with a red squigly line beneath them? I thought it would be fun to share some of these words with everyone, and to let you know that you're not the only one!

For the life of me I can never correctly spell definitely and calendar....and yes I had to look them up to spell them right in this post. My cell phone autocorrect has even learned how I normally mispell them and won't let me type it in correctly!

myxducky

Re: Words you never spell correctly...no matter how hard you try!

(0) Hearts

my tablet.. and my phone are always auto correcting words to the weirdest things. sometimes it feels the need to add periods every few words. lately, it's gotten into the habit of auto correcting numbers to the most frequent number combinations i type... and i don't even remember using half of them all that often!

pipsqueek1582

All the time! As is evident in many of my posts! Darn iPad!!!

BeautyJunkie325

Mine does it all the time. 

lb1414

Yes, mine does it constantly. 

kittichick

I don't have an iPad, but my Nexus is seriously trying to censor me. O.o  It's almost as bad as BT!

IAmLadyLiterary

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Definitely, I literally just spelt it wrong and have to go back and fix it.  And my phone has done that too and I'm like "no bad phone!  You are supposed to help me spell!"  I find I often get i's and e's mixed up and don't know where to place them in certain words.  I also always want to spell truly truely, I don't know why.  Oh and I still struggle not to spell it wendsday, I actually say in my head "wed nes day" because I'm that smart.  Oh and february, I always want to spell it febrary and I have to say "feb ru ary" in my brain because that r is silent in the beginning.  I promise I'm 18 not 8, I'm just not smart when it comes to certain spelling things.

kittichick

My IQ is three standard deviations above the mean (i.e. I'm allegedly smart), but I still pronounce Wednesday "wed-nes-day" and February "feb-ru-ary" in my head when spelling.

So don't feel bad. :smileywink:

IAmLadyLiterary

(0) Hearts

Lol thank you, now I don't feel so dumb.  And I agree with missrmessner, they add a whole extra consonant.  I also have to admit when I am really tired I also have to some times say K nife so I don't just spell in nife.  Again this is only when I am really tired.  But seriously english language, what is with all the silent K's and H's?!

missrmessner

(0) Hearts

I think most people mentally sound out those words because they aren't spelled how they are spoken. You literally need to add a whole extra consonant to Wednesday when it's sounded out the way it is spelled!

makeupobesessed

I have a kinda funny one...I have an issue at times with  spelling foreign, I always think i before e except after c.   Except..... I'm a foreign language teacher....duh!

IAmLadyLiterary

Definitely, I literally just spelt it wrong and have to go back and fix it.  And my phone has done that too and I'm like "no bad phone!  You are supposed to help me spell!"  I find I often get i's and e's mixed up and don't know where to place them in certain words.  I also always want to spell truly truely, I don't know why.

crayzeeRN

Nauseous- I attempted to spell that three times and finally let the computer help me :smileytongue: 

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

I also can't spell conscious - and basically all the other words that you all listed below. I am so completely hopeless as a speller. I love spell check - and most of the time I can re-try the word I've messed up and eventually spell check can figure out what I am actually trying to say.

killahbabe

Camouflage. I just had to look it up! haha.

camiah

Independent. I always want to spell it "independant". I used to have a brain **bleep** with calendar as well, but finally got that one through my skull.  Misspellings of "definitely" are painful to see. I don't know why that particular word pains me to see misspelled. I think it is the way it visually appears when it is misspelled.

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

I totally agree with you on misspellings of "definitely", especially because "defiantly" is a great word but means something completely different and I hate when people confuse them.

pipsqueek1582

For me, it's definitely and severely...did I spell those right????

kittichick

I have a mental block with necessary. (OMG, I spelled it right just now!)

It's embarrassing because I'm kind of a grammar (and to lesser degree, spelling) **bleep** and when I can't spell something... Blerg.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I can't think of any, but "definitely" is commonly misspelled -- I always see it written as "defiantly," which is an entirely different word (and changes the meaning of the sentence). I always suggest remembering "finite" as part of the word -- it helps! :smileyhappy:

BeautyJunkie325

I can never spell conscious - I love auto correct!  My real issue is typing too quick and misspelling words like The - It ends up teh, From or Form get flipped which never gets picked up in spell check. 

punctuationgeek

I knew a guy who spelled fatigue "phatege." Absolutely was "appsolutly." And another guy I knew spelled sapphire as "safire." This is why I'm single lol.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 65 replies
  • 70 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • lb1414
    • killahbabe
    • shyvicki
    • emmaclaire