missrmessner

Words you never spell correctly...no matter how hard you try!

You know those words that you think you know how to spell, but every time you type them, you are faced with a red squigly line beneath them? I thought it would be fun to share some of these words with everyone, and to let you know that you're not the only one!

For the life of me I can never correctly spell definitely and calendar....and yes I had to look them up to spell them right in this post. My cell phone autocorrect has even learned how I normally mispell them and won't let me type it in correctly!

missrmessner

Re: Words you never spell correctly...no matter how hard you try!

(0) Hearts

haha...bad spelling is a total turnoff for me! It makes me think that he just doesn't care about anything in life, if he can't  bother to spell simple words correctly. 

kittichick

(0) Hearts

HA! Oh dear.

(LOVE your name, btw)

punctuationgeek

Haha, thanks! Unfortunately, the one that spelled "safire" was one of the best looking guys I've ever seen. I saw him in class once a week for an entire semester, and every time I saw him, I thought, "Why can't you be a good speller?!?!"

arielaaaaaaaa

Haha It's not entertaining when i'm scrolling through Facebook and people spell things so ridiculously i almost can't believe they are that bad of a speller! I mean i know not everyone is a good speller but when things are so off you can't even understand what they are trying to say, it's a problem!

kittichick

Sometimes I think I need an Internet Translator so I can figure out what people are trying to say.

lilyyy

Quinoa.. I read it as QUIN-NO-AH in my head.

GGrace

(0) Hearts

I do the same thing, and I always forget that's not how its pronounced when I try to say it to people and they I get really strange looks

kalex

Words with double letters always get me.  "Occasionally", "broccoli", and "necessary" for instance.  I never get the right amount of c's or l's the first time I type it.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Same here! What's the point of double letters anyways? and it's always only ONE of the multiple middle letters that needs to be doubled. Sometimes I just double all of them to be safe, incorrect still but makes it look like you are pronouncing the word slowly instead of missing something. =P

vaccuum, neccessary.....

missrmessner

(0) Hearts

oh...vacuum I can never get right!! I know there's a double letter in the middle, but a double u is just odd, so I always double up on the c.

latinadiva

[ Edited ]

I cannot spell courtesy to save my life (and yes I had to look it up just for this post). I also could not spell definitely for years. For some reason I had always spelled it definately and NEVER noticed that it was two I's. Once I noticed that though I have not had a problem! I just cannot spell courtesy, no matter how many times I look it up, I neverrrr remember how to spell it.

meecheroo

[ Edited ]

lol that's so weird because in my class today, we just went over commonly misspelled words like sacriligeous (not sacreligious). It's going to be very important for me to get these down because my career will be court reporting, so I will have to write everything down verbatim.

Here are some words that I think people misspell:

absence address advice all right arctic beginning believe bicycle broccoli bureau calendar camaraderie ceiling cemetery changeable conscientious conscious decease deceive definite descent desperate device disastrous ecstasy embarrass exercise fascinate February fiery fluorescent foreign government grateful guarantee harass height humorous independent jealous jewelry judgment ketchup knowledge leisure library license maintenance mathematics mediocre millennium miniature miscellaneous mischievous misspell mysterious necessary neighbor nuclear occasion occurrence odyssey piece pigeon playwright precede prejudice privilege pumpkin raspberry receive rhythm sacrilegious science scissors separate sincerely special thorough through truly until Wednesday weird you're

kittichick

(0) Hearts

Don't forget ridiculous! And rhythm is one of the most commonly misspelled words in the English language.

spoiledbrat

Always remember, Albert Einstein was a very poor speller.  Do not feel bad if you have trouble. Thatt bing sed mee doughnt feal bad

arielaaaaaaaa

[ Edited ]

OMG! I can't spell Definitely either! It takes a little while for me to try! And i'm a pretty great speller! But that gets me every time! Sometimes my spell check doesn't even recognize what i'm trying to say! 

Oh and License, I don't know why but i always type it out as " lisence", I immediately know it's wrong but i always type it wrong first!

calamityjane85

As simple as the word "weird" is I mess it up everytime. I think if you learn it wrong as a child you are just screwed. Lol  I before e except after c. 

kittichick

[ Edited ]

I always remembered weird because it's one of the WEIRD words where the i does NOT come before e, even though it does not come after c. :smileyhappy:

calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

AHA!!

kittichick

(0) Hearts

:smileyvery-happy:

kalex

"Weird" throws me for a loop too.  What's the purpose of rules within the English language (like i before e except after c) if there are so many exceptions to the rule?

kittichick

(0) Hearts

That's why they say English is one of, if not the, most difficult languages to learn as a non-native speaker.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 65 replies
  • 70 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • lb1414
    • killahbabe
    • shyvicki
    • emmaclaire