tashalicious

Will Sephora ever carry high end products for dogs?

i love to splurge on my dog's beauty products, i think it would be so cool if Sephora sold high end dog shampoo, conditioners, sprays , hair bows and other accessories,  i would definitely upgrade to Rouge status in about 6 months. :smileyvery-happy:

tashalicious

Re: Will Sephora ever carry high end products for dogs?

Actually i did, you should have seen my post a while back, Topic: Designer Purse Rentals!! :smileyvery-happy: i'm just surprised it happened again especially when i try to keep my topics light in nature, but people react as if we're discussing politics or religion. 

End0ra

Well then you deserve everything you get! :smileyvery-happy:  You should know by now that all that stuff is VRY SRS BIDNESS here!

tashalicious

LOL! i don't mind debating on a subject, i actually enjoy it as long as a level of respect is maintained.

MoreGun89

I think that exists actually, Bag, Borrow, or Steal is what I think it's called :smileyhappy: could be wrong :smileytongue:

tashalicious

yeah and another one called "Rent The Runway",

quixotic

Does it strike anyone else as ironic that there is fighting like cats and dogs over cats and dogs?

tashalicious

i may disagree with someone, but i never  resort to  fighting over such a  trivial subject.

MsStacey1990

Sings .. * Let it go, let it go Cant hold it back anymore let it go, let it go *..... <_<

kbmatthews

Oh yay! I get to use my gif!

frozenletitgo.gif

MsStacey1990

Muahahaha! YES! lol my daughter is watching that movie right now... again...........>_< help... lol

kbmatthews

LOL. My daughter LOVES it too... though she recently watched Tangled, and now watches them both equally. SIGH.

meagboho

So....I should be embarrassed I've watched both a dozen times? :smileywink: 

kbmatthews

Pffft. Never!

MsStacey1990

All i gotta say is... Petsmart :smileyvery-happy: lol.......

LariTheLoud

I don't personally have a problem with high end pet products, and I really love my pets a lot. I have two cats, and as a child we had a family beagle. They are as much a part of the family as a child.

That said...

I know that there are a lot of boutique pet shops out there, especially in upscale urban neighborhoods, that serve this kind of market. I don't think it makes much sense for Sephora to carry pet care products along with their beauty, hair, and skincare products. What happens is a case of mixed-up identity, because what, then, is Sephora supposed to be: a mid-range-to-high-end beauty retailer or a ritzy pet boutique? The upscale pet product market demographic would not even think to approach Sephora for pet products. Even with advertising, I doubt it would capture any new market share.

With preexisting customers, I'm not convinced that the majority of shoppers would enter Sephora and consider buying pet products even if they spotted a display. Typically people go to a beauty retailer for personal beauty products, and pet bows/accessories/shampoos/conditioners are starkly out of place in that context. I know you posted a Paul Mitchell salon with pet products, but if I'm not mistaken, that is a discrete location, I assume? Not every salon in the country that carries Paul Mitchell offers pet product lines. I assume that Paul Mitchell salon simply carries every single product in the Paul Mitchell line, including his pet grooming products. It is a peculiar case, since Paul Mitchell already has a market presence in the pet grooming business, and customers that are familiar with the label may be willing to try out those products on their pets.

Sephora does not produce pet grooming products, and neither do many prestige beauty brands. These products will be distinct and completely disparate from each other, with not even a label to share between them. It's hard for a business like Sephora to justify the addition of pet grooming products, because it is pretty doubtful that they will turn over the product fast enough to make a profit.

Sorry. :smileysad: But it is a fun idea to imagine!

mrsbaine

Educated and a sensical response.... 

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

i'm not suggesting that Sephora produce the pet products, they could carry a product that already exist, the clientele of that company would follow the product to Sephora.

love2shop42

(0) Hearts

They carry Kiehls pet products at Bloomies and Barneys, on-line. Sephora could do the same and carry it on-line. Would I buy? No, but then again I have a mobile grooming service at my disposal. I don't do my own nails and I sure will not be doing my pooch's nails either.

kbmatthews

[ Edited ]

Both of those carry more than just beauty supplies though. They already have a diverse market and business model and relationships.

love2shop42

(0) Hearts

Sephora sells Lancôme, and Kiehls and Lancôme are both owned by Loreal. Hence, Sephora already has a relationship with Loreal and it is not such a far leap for them to sell Kiehls.  With respect to a business model, I do not see where selling three of Kiehls specialty products, alongside the rest of the Kiehls line is somehow going to destroy their business model.  Like I said before, I would not buy, but I do know several of my neighbors who would. And yes, Bloomies and Barney's do carry more than just beauty products but if someone wants to pick up a pair of Jimmy Choos and a spritz for their pet more power to them.

starletta8

She wasn't suggesting that Sephora produce them either.

I'm going to try to simplify things.

Sephora enters into business relationships with prestige beauty brands. These business relationships aren't free for Sephora.  The company also only has a certain capacity in terms of the number of brands and products they are able to maintain simultaneous relationships with. In the retail locations, that is based upon floor space. For the online store, that is based on space in the warehouses.

The current companies that Sephora has relationships with do not produce pet products.  For Sephora to enter into pet products, it would entail significant work and have a measurable cost, in terms of dollars and in terms of products they would have to stop offering for people.

I know you likely disagree with this, but luxury pet products are a niche market with a smaller potential clientele than their current client base. There may be some overlap, as well as a few new customers. However, it's probably not worth the investment for Sephora to drop existing business relationships in order to chase a very specific niche customer.

I know you probably are going to say it won't cost Sephora a thing, but that's simply not the truth in terms of the business side. Any shift in product lines comes with significant costs for the retailers.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 181 replies
  • 509 hearts
  • 44 in conversation
    • eadelaide1
    • DTalksAll
    • hydee77
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire
    • quixotic