tashalicious

Will Sephora ever carry high end products for dogs?

i love to splurge on my dog's beauty products, i think it would be so cool if Sephora sold high end dog shampoo, conditioners, sprays , hair bows and other accessories,  i would definitely upgrade to Rouge status in about 6 months. :smileyvery-happy:

bratknits

Re: Will Sephora ever carry high end products for dogs?

Yes and you seem to be indulging in both.

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

how so? my idea was based on the fact that other companies have tried and succeeded in launching pet products, if you can't do the same to prove your point then as i said before the argument has no merit.

kbmatthews

It's hard to "prove" a fail since they peter out pretty quick and don't create much buzz, or an attempt/consideration at branching out/changing a business model to include pet supplies because we are not in the position job-wise where we get to see those things unfold.

meagboho

Also, discrediting all arguments posters brought up because no one could come up with an example, is an argument from ignorance. Which is indeed a fallacy. 

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

some would say continuing to argue a position that is uninformed and not based on facts is indeed ignorant.

mrsbaine

So you are calling yourself ignorant? You went on for quite some time when people tried to educate you onbusiness  acumen... *drops mic. 

tashalicious

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

every time a major company or corporation has struggled or gone out of business it has always been in the newspapers followed by the reasons why, you wouldn't need a business degree to or be an employee to find out that information. i was hoping someone would counter my opinion with those type of facts.

only one person actually explained why it wouldn't work with facts, and i accepted it, everyone else gave their personal opinions for why they didn't think it would work, so i gave my opinion for why i thought it would. 

so it's okay  for you guys to have a theory about the subject but i can't?  a discussion goes both ways, we can agree to disagree but don't try to imply that i'm ignorant, let's keep it respectful, please and thank you. :smileyhappy:

bratknits

(0) Hearts

Department stores haven't been large corporations for very long, before the last couple decades they were large regional companies and when they went out of business it was local not national news.  I wouldn't expect someone in CA to know why Almys, Jordan Marsh or Caldor went under at all.  Now if May went under, they mostly bought up the others in the 90's and early 2000s', then your premise would be correct.

kbmatthews

Actually, we have brought up more facts than you. Just sayin'

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

no you haven't , all i got was fear based responses about germs( which i pointed out was ridiculous based on the makeup testing situation that already exist in Sephora) even though i agreed that Sephora should remain a no pets allowed establishment.

Then there was repeated suggestion that the products would never sell, even though the products are already selling. 

i agree, you wont have access to certain information regarding this, however you would certainly be able to generalize and come up with 1 thriving business in the U.S of A that went belly up after they launched pet products.    just one,      i'll wait........

kbmatthews

[ Edited ]

Again, we've suggested WAY more that just "ew, germs". 

I'm sorry that you're deciding to overlook everyone's comments regarding why it wouldn't work, and considering them moot, when you yourself are simply suggesting that it wouldn't be hard or costly and there would be clientele boost and profit boost, when you have NO idea how a business works. And again, I've mentioned it multiple times, that business models are complicated and expensive. I cannot explain one of my diplomas to you in a post. 

There's a reason you don't see a "thriving business in the USA (or Canada) that went belly up after they launched pet products"... because any thriving business pays a heck of a lot of money to make sure they make good business decisions and that doesn't happen. All of this goes on behind closed doors, so the public doesn't see it.

bratknits

I'll just be over here in the corner drinking my New Coke...

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

i have not overlooked everyone's comments, it was  only when you guys started repeating each other's comments that i got bored and wanted more.

meagboho

The stores you mentioned being successful at this were Walmart, Target, and Old Navy, right? The first two are one stop shop. They try to carry everything, cheap, so you buy everything there, that's the model. Seems to be apples and oranges compared to high end beauty retailers like Sephora. As for Old Navy I don't think I ever knew they did any pet products but I'm sure it's something like a bow or collar that's part of their cheap impulsive items display near the checkout...it's probably .001% of their sales? 

starletta8

I can speak to some historical information on Old Navy.

I worked there years ago, in a location that was in a mostly rural location.  No, we weren't in NYC or any other city where high-end pet products were even a thing. Please keep that in mind.

Yes, Old Navy sold pet products along the checkout line before they shifted to the "everything and the kitchen sink" approach to their checkout area retail. This mainly consisted of Halloween costumes, a couple of winter coats, etc.

Although I did not work in the type of location that is the target demographic in this case, the pet products inevitably ended up on clearance.  In my experience (and talking with various managers), the main demand for products at Old Navy was in more urban areas.

While my information is several years old, I wanted to share what I knew from working at that particular retailer in the past.

OwlAndTanager

Ha! You think this post is about logic. This is a personal opinion board.

meagboho

We may not be able to give an example because mabye most successful NICHE markets haven't actually branched out. :smileywink:

i also think it's just too niche when Sephora is already pretty niche. Niche on niche on niche. 

Zpsid91

Niche-ception!

emmaclaire

How does the argument that the products wouldn't sell have "absolutely no merit"?!!?!  That's literally insane.  Of course they wouldn't sell!  A huge portion of the population in the US alone thinks Sephora is ridiculous for selling such pricey items for humansof course people would think it would be looney if there were fancy cosmetic/luxury items for dogs in the store too!  Come on, now.

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

Actually in the U.S Sephora's popularity ranks the highest in the world and continues to grow, so i'm sure a "huge" portion of people in the U.S would disagree with that statement.:smileyhappy:

veronika23

I love my dogs and I spend money on them. I'm like a crazy dog lady lol..  I know TIGI (Bed Head) and Paul Mitchell do sell animal products. IMO high end beauty items for animals belong in dog boutiques.  A place where it's about the animals. They do not belong in Sephora.  But Sephora could branch out with an animal line and sell to pet stores and online.... not sure it would be profitable but... In any case the two shouldn't mix for various reasons. When I shop for my dogs I go to pet stores no matter what I'm looking for (toys, food, grooming supplies, collars, etc). 

I'll say this though... I do have access to where hair stylist buy their products and equipment and because they carry Paul Mitchell they carry the pet line as well but I've never seen anyone with their pet plus I don't think they'd be allowed.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 181 replies
  • 509 hearts
  • 44 in conversation
    • eadelaide1
    • DTalksAll
    • hydee77
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire
    • quixotic