kalex

When you know more than the employees

[ Edited ]

I think there is no disputing that we (those who are on here regularly anyway) are beauty addicts.  I know instances have been discussed on here before where we've been at a Sephora or other department store counter and have known more than the SA .  Many of these stories were amusing or downright baffling.

Anyone have any recent ones?

Here's my most recent example:

I swung into a SiJCP yesterday while at the mall.  I still  haven't gotten the Give Me More Lip set and wanted to swatch the colors in person.  I asked an SA who was setting up a new display if she had it and she asked me, "Who is it from?"  I told her it was a bunch of different brands and she gave me a blank stare.

Corrina777

Re: When you know more than the employees

Because I'm much more knowledgeable about hair than makeup or skincare, that's usually where I know much more than any SA in almost any store.  Luckily, a few of the SAs at my local Sephora know about my hair obsession and actually appreciate some of the information I share.  

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

That's awesome that they'd appreciate it!

theramenlover

It happens to me all the time! Lol, sometimes it's frustrating and sometimes I shake my head (mainly at myself) for knowing so much xD

Most recently, as in two days ago, I went into a rather huge Sephora in a very tourist-central area and asked about two different lipsticks. One was Dior Addict Extreme in Bonne Aventure and the other was Illamasqua's Shard. Shard, I was told that they don't carry and probably will never carry in stores. Bonne Aventure however, had a slot in the display but no lipstick! So the rep tells me that none of the Sephora stores have received shipment yet and that she too has been waiting for it since she wants it for herself. I left the store with another lipstick in a similar-ish shade about twenty minutes later. Then what happens? Lo and behold, I walk into another Sephora, mainly to kill some time as I was waiting for my friend and found Bonne Aventure. So much for none of the Sephora stores having it in stock!! xD 

solveig

There were a couple times when I clearly stated that I am looking for an oil-free product (foundation or moisturizer), and the first thing the SA suggests has oil in it. And then I feel uncomfortable letting her know that, so I usually just say "Oh, thanks" and move on to browsing the shelves by myself.

ry22

(0) Hearts

Yup. One time I specifically asked for natural products. The first product she pulled was MUFE! Then I just said I was interested in Tarte or BE products.

solveig

So true. I mean, I understand that they might not know all 2 dozens of ingredients of each product in stock, but if the product doesn't say oil-free, or comes from a pro brand that specializes in putting silicones into everything, those things are kind of obvious.

Yes, I am still doing my own little research on most products before buying them anyway, but SAs like that just make me go and purchase online, keeping me from impulse buying (which would bring the business a lot of money).

Kiki1517

I don't think I have any funny recent stories, but I have found only two employees who's opinions I trust and seek them out. They in turn wave and greet me everytime I enter the store as well. Sometimes I test people by asking a question I clearly know the answer to that way I can see if they really know what they are talking about lol. I think I have said it before, but my main pet peeve is that I am not going to trust someone's opinion on makeup when their makeup looks horrific and doesn't even match, blotchy, or already melted off their face. 

ghkim

i have most definitely asked about products that no one in the store has any clue about. as for the miscommunication regarding promotions, i have actually benefited from this situation. during the latest vib color iq event with gift bag in stores, i went in for my color match and gift bag. no one in the store had any idea what the gift bag was, so they threw together a really awesome bag filled with probably twice as many deluxe samples as i should have gotten!

DTalksAll

There's one woman at my SiJCP I avoid like the plague. After a few years of working there I don't know how she still has a job, or doesn't know more about the company. 

During Chic Week I forgot my card in the car for the VIB preview day. She told me I needed the card even though I had a VIB card & kept insisting that the sale was for everyone. I informed her the sale didn't start for everyone until the following day & that today was just for VIB's & they get a bag. I finally was able to find my e-mail on my phone & showed her the fine print. Then she told me VIB's needed to spend $500 in a calendar year, I corrected her, and she got mad saying it was $500. Later I realized she was getting confused with rouge, but rouge is $1,000. 

Same Cast Member last year tried selling me a shimmer bronzer when I asked for matte for contouring. She thought shimmer was best for contouring & it's all the rage. LOL 

Most recently I heard her telling another customer that Belle was going to be the next Disney princess even though we all know that Ariel was the last. When her manager corrected her, she actually got pissed because she wanted a Belle line. 

I think the biggest issue is communication within the company itself. Marketing, legal, associates... there's never one story. 

Even last year when I wanted to know what time the sale started on-line I couldn't get a straight answer, because no one knew. FB would say midnight on x date. That's nice, midnight what time zone? The VIB line would say not until morning, 9 am, no time zone, they didn't know. & Then I had two different Mods tell me midnight EST. I was without power from Sandy, so I go on my phone at Midnight... yup didn't start yet... it was midnight PST. When other stores have sales & promos, their fine print always includes the details. Sephora says "we can't release that info for competitive reasons" So for competitive reasons, they can't tell their customers the details of a sale? That makes no sense to me. 

wendyomgwar

I was asking a SA about a promotion that was suppose to be good in-stores. That didn't go very well lol. 

vanillammm

yeah, i love it when you have to show the cash wrap SA the email that says that you get a gift of some sort, and they have no idea what you are talking about, even after seeing the email.

Clearly corporate needs a better chain of communication to the sales associates.

vanillammm

I went into my Sephora last night looking for the Tokyomilk Dark fragrance in Tainted Love. I approached the SA in the fragrance department and she said, "Dark milk?" and I said, no "Tokyomilk Dark" and she said, "Tokyo dark?" to which I replied, "nevermind, thanks for your help." I then went to the next SA that I could find and asked her the same question. She looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language, but with my help, repeated my request into her headset. After getting a response from the sephora gods through her headset she let me know that I could only get it online.

And then I found it on my own in the store.

SO... not only did the two people that I approached not know their own products (for the department they "specialize" in), but whoever they spoke to over the headset system didn't know either.

Very sad.

malday

Lucky for me the one SA at my local store that I asked about the TokyoMilk Dark products knew exactly what they carried at that store and where it was! Unfortunately for me they only had the rollerball/lotion set haha. 

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]

For many people, it may be just a job.  For us....it's an obsession!

thesupergirl

I agree !

carolang

I asked to see the give me more lip as well (back the week it came out, wasn't expecting it to be in stores). She went on and on about how they had it and I got so excited and she took me to the give me some lip set. I said "no give me more lip" - she had no idea what it was. Found it amusing!

poshified

One of the cast members at my Sephora hadn't seen the pictures and shades in Vice2 prior to this week. So when I showed it to her on my phone, she immediately went to place an order for it on her break, haha!

wingatprsct

That is hilarious!  I was at Ulta one day and a costumer was having a hard time getting help and I wound up waiting on her.  We had a great time but I should have gotten commission for the sale!

rikkie

Ahaha, I have done the same thing for sure. A lady was totally getting no help from the cast member assisting her, so when she gave up I helped her find a matte bronzer for her pale skin. (Too Faced Milk Chocolate, which she loved!) 

DTalksAll

I do that at Ulta all the time. The SA there are useless, so I like to put in my two cents when I can :smileytongue: 

thesupergirl

Thats funny.I have one I went to the sephora in Baton Rouge while out of town and I got excited to see the julep nail polishes. The lady walks over to see if I need help I told her no but I was happy to see the julep polishes there because that's are my favorite nail polish brand. She said really how come so I told her I love how its 4 free their basecoat is the best ever my nails never look yellowish, they are coming out with new colors every month and etc. And then she looked at me and said I didn't know any of this!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 43 replies
  • 106 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • ginger304
    • emmaclaire
    • theramenlover