ChicDabbler

What to do with a broken car?

[ Edited ]

-RESOLVED-

So I have this car that WAS in prestine condition.....until I got into a car crash that renders it undrivable because the hit bent everything in one of the wheel area. The price of repair is half what I paid for the car (despite the fact it's only 20-30% damaged), and it's undrivable so I don't think I can sell it as it is now. So now, I'm not sure what to do with it. Anyone have any experience with broken/crashed car? 

ps. Sorry to be really really off-topic, but I'm not sure where to ask. T.T

Missie772

Re: What to do with a broken car?

(0) Hearts

Oh no! I am glad that you are ok but it sucks that your car is only 20-30% damaged but it would cost 1/2 the cost of the car to fix it! AND even worse that insurance won't pay for it!

Please keep us updated! :smileyhappy:

drrragon

OMG BEAUTYTESTER ARE YOU OKAY?????  I hope you didn't suffer any injuries, and even if you didn't car accidents are scary and stressful. Take care of yourself, self-medicate with ice cream if needed *hug*

ChicDabbler

Lol, oh drrragon. I'm ok now, and I assure you there were buckets of ice cream involved (currently on a plan to getting rid of the weight I gained from it actually). =)

*hug*

Candy357

(0) Hearts

BTW I WAS so happy to see a car question here. yayayayayayayay!! 

lol 

Candy357

(0) Hearts

Put it on craiglist?

That sucks.
My car was hit and we did all the repairs ourselves.
It is so cheap too and easy really.

But then again I grew up working on cars with my dad.
So it comes easily to me.

Sorry this happened, yes mechanics and body shops charge way too much!

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

I just saw this post you could donate it to the kidneyfoundationsit would be a good tax deduction!

Titian06

@beautytester - The charity will take care of the paperwork and towing it for you.  Goodwill is one to consider.

ChicDabbler

Resolved. The insurance won't cover it. I do really like the idea of taking it apart myself. Being an engineer, one of my gripes about myself is that I've never taken apart computers and cars before and I've always wanted to learn/play with it. However, right now I don't have the time or the energy for it, so it's gonna be donated. Now I just have to figure out the paperworks.

Thanks all. =)

Cyll

(0) Hearts

Just bring it to the scrap yard, easy $500 bucks.

Cyll

Post a picture and I can tell you if it's worth fixing. I got in a car accident, someone ran the red light, I didn't have collision so I paid out of pocket to fix my car which I did and the hit was a T-bone. I can show pictures if you would like. Took me 3 months to fix it and was a lot cheaper doing it myself. They estimated 6 grand in damage and I fixed it for 3 grand and I replaced all the seats to leather since I wanted to do that anyways.

Just because it's bent in the middle doesn't render it undrivable. They do wheel alignments, however, depending on the severity, the car may not drive as straight as it use to. The only time I consider a car a loss is if there is damage to the frame or you rolled it.

Unless you have sentimental attachment to the car (which I have to mine) then is it worth fixing?

If you're going to fix it don't tell your insurance company, if you already did that sucks. Regardless as to whos fault it is, and if you go threw them to fix it they will slowly up your insurance to cover the payout they give you.

prettyinpa

I've done this before and got quite a bit more than the shop offered:You can put an ad in your local shopper paper or list on Craigslist your car "for parts". Do-it-yourselfers and car recyclers (formerly called junkyards) will contact you and pay you for your car. It's their responsibility to remove it, usually they show up with a rollback and winch it up and it's gone. They don't give you the full amount you could get for the parts individually, but it's a lot easier than taking the car apart yourself, unless you have the tools and are handy with them. Also consider that it's winter, unless you have a heated shop, mechanic work at this time of year is miserable (personal experience with keeping tractors working around the farm).

DTalksAll

What did insurance say? 

When my car was totaled, (it was only a few months old, I was driving slow, girl ran stop sign, hit me in my sweet spot up front, it's AWD & the axis got  ruined and windshield cracked....) They appraised it at a shop, estimated the wreckage value, called it a total loss. I handed over my keys, they gave me a check & I got a new car... they took care of the getting rid of part. 

SirenPrincess

This was my experience as well.  The insurance company took care of all of that.  I just had to sign some papers and get my check.

bfuller

Call some of your local churches or charity centers and explain the details.  They might take a chance on paying to have it fixed then gift it to a family who really needs it.

bratknits

[ Edited ]

A lot of charities take cars in any condition, Salvation Army and kars4kids come to mind.  They auction them off for parts or scrap value.  They come and take them away for you and send you a receipt for your taxes after they sell it.

dianabt

Can you maybe sell pieces or parts for money? I know a lot of the time value comes from the pieces that are still in good condition. And like bratknits says, check also local charities and organizations where you can donate cars and get a tax refund/write off for it. 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Do you know where/how I can sell the parts? I would love to because it's so ironic where they told me that if I sold the car as it is, I would get X amount of money. Then when I asked how much money would I get if I sold one of the headlight, they sad 2X. But do I have to dismantle it myself?

bratknits

I'd be careful about taking on a project like parting a car.  One, it's a lot of work and time.  Two, once it's been stripped you still have to dispose of it and if there's nothing left of value on it you are going to have to pay someone to dispose of what's left legally.  Three, most places have rules about where a car that is unregistered and not roadworthy can be stored and there could be some hefty fines involved.  

dianabt

I think usually you can check with a mechanic or autobody shop (even craigslist) to just sell the parts which are normally worth more money. Can you contact the car dealership/manufacturer? They might be able to help you with the parts!  

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lilyyy

In my experience, the tow truck company tows it from the accident site to wherever they crush cars into cubes.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 25 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • dianabt
    • drrragon
    • lilyyy
    • ChicDabbler