Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What scares you?

With Halloween almost here, what scares you? Or do you have a phobia? Have you done or attempted anything to overcome your fear?

I have bathmophobia (fear of stairs). I have no problem at the bottom but looking down from the top is another story. Also related is escalaphobia (fear of escalators) which is even worse because it's moving stairs. I don't know where this fear came from but I read that if you have some weird fear (my mom is terrified of being buried alive), it's because that's how you died in a past life.

Re: What scares you?

@Kclen   Is it that you think you’re going to fall or more an unnerving urge to fall?  I was just reading about HPP (high place phenomenon) where its common for people get ‘a call to the void’ and they have an alarming urge to fall/jump when standing at high places which quickly passes but unnerves them.  

Can relate. Those glass elevators I find myself pinned to the door, but I can’t help but just stare down anyways. @Kclen 

@Weetart   those I find uncomfortably thrilling.   

I am so scared of losing my teeth.  I have nightmares where I either have no teeth or they are pretty much rotting in my head, like zombie teeth.  I'm also scared I might trip and knock out a tooth, even though I know that the dentist can give me better fake teeth than I have now.  

I'm not afraid of open water, but canals scare me.  It's because when I was little and learned the basic idea of how they work I imagined the water being sucked out really fast (even though they don't).  

The thought of being pregnant and giving birth is also terrifying to me.  Not in the sense that I don't like children, but the physical pains of labor and the discomfort of pregnancy is scary.  I know every women's experience is different though 🙂

I have a family member that is scared of escalators, as in she will go halfway through the mall to find an elevator so she won't have to it.  

@heatherbee @Losing your teeth (even in a dream) sounds so distressing.   I wonder what teeth rotting out would signify in dream analysis.  Whenever I have nightmares I have to look up their meaning to distance and distract me from them so I can (hopefully) get back to sleep.  

I’ve had the teeth nightmare, my boyfriend has a fear like yours with the teeth. He had a breakdown in the dental office when they told him he needed to take better care of his teeth. He looks like a tough manly man but when it comes to his teeth... @heatherbee and last year he accidentally knocked out a tooth working. He has been moping about it. It’s not a visible one but poor thing. 

Oddly enough I have a fear of open water. It's the not knowing what's swimming beneath me is the worse part. Also, I have a thing about crossing the street. It has to be totally clear or I can't. I think maybe I was hit by a car in my past life.

@irenet  I have been afraid of being exposed in  unclear water ever since I was swimming in the ocean and a sea lion rubbed past my legs and then popped it’s head up beside me.  Pretty sure he was just curious and saying hello but I screamed and desperately scrambled out of the water.  Nothing ‘bad’ happened but I won’t go into unclear water without a wetsuit as a layer of protection anymore and I’m still nervous.  

Jaws ruined water for me @irenet 

I am ridiculously afraid of everything going on inside of the toilet tank. The gears and wire and that weird bobble thing....yyeeeccchhhh

One more thing: adulthood

tumblr_inline_mygtczQ1mA1r3zat8.gif

@andyhtrieu  Adulthood is a trap.  Don’t do it!  

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

I have huge arachnophobia... I'm trying to be better at not killing them because they don't know they're evil but I freeze whenever I see one. 😞

upload_7602801869890266912.jpg 

@kevinbt   ‘Because they don’t know they’re evil’.  

Funny thing with spiders, I’m not afraid of them if I see them in a web cause chances are they’re not coming for me, but if they’re walking around freely I am terrified they’re gonna do something unpredictable.  

tumblr_inline_nbho4tHc571qlt0ws.gif

tumblr_inline_n971efVftZ1qazf3y.gif

Did you have to show us this spider?

I thought you were scared of them...just looking at this makes me feel like I have something crawling on me..

Thankfully its not a snake. That's my biggest fear..

That photo is terrifying.  I always try and let spiders live since they kill other bugs.  Until they move then it's on

Haha me too! I am the 1%....that's not afraid of spiders.

Centipedes. 

Rollercoasters (all of my nightmares are rollercoaster related).

Anything happening to my dogs. 

I also have some PTSD relating to the home invasion my boyfriend and I suffered a year and a half ago. So that sucks pretty bad. womp womp.

Oh no, a home invasion? That's unbelievably frightening! The PTSD is bad enough, but I hope you didn't suffer any physical harm from it. I'm so very sorry.

Conversation Stats
Photos14
  • upload_7602801869890266912.jpg
  • tumblr_inline_nbho4tHc571qlt0ws.gif
  • tumblr_inline_n971efVftZ1qazf3y.gif
  • tumblr_inline_mygtczQ1mA1r3zat8.gif
  • C9766483-9DF9-486F-8E72-871312018EBF.jpeg
  • 8197131D-90C7-41B9-A6C9-9FCD9C8E8A55.jpeg
  • 1603295177159.jpg
  • EEFD7E60-016E-4FF5-953B-82FEBE52F781.jpeg
  • luna road.jpg
  • luna basil 1.jpg
  • luna basil 2.jpg
  • IMG_20210607_092612030.jpg
  • Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 00-37-05 Beware the joro spider Scientists say the giant, but harmless, arachnid is spreading.png
  • Screenshot 2022-03-06 at 00-35-18 Beware the joro spider Scientists say the giant, but harmless, arachnid is spreading.png
testing