cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

@itsfi I never knew that

@CorgiMommy, there are recipes that call for shorter cooking times, but for restaurant quality pho, it can take 12 or more hours to prepare the broth. 

@itsfi Making pho at home is really satisfying but I’ve never done it completely from scratch. I usually cheat and boxed beef broth because I don’t have the time or patience to babysit a boiling pot for half a day! I know there’s boxed pho broth but I get the regular stuff and add my own spices. Also, slicing beef paper thin by hand… that’s a workout!

@JoSometimes, what spices do you use in your pho broth?

@itsfi Cardamom pods, fennel seeds, star anise seeds, black pepper, ginger, onion, fish sauce, and lime juice. I usually toss the spices into my magic bullet to grind them up quick. If I’m feeling fancy, I’ll try to toast them in a pan first but most of the time, they just go in straight away. 

It’s so good, isn’t it @CorgiMommy? 😋 I came close to taking a course on making pho a few years back. I learned it takes 12+ hours for the broth; gave me a much deeper appreciation for a bowl of pho. 

IMG_1229.jpeg

 mmmmmm, tandoori chicken and rice with pickled onions.  Yum. 

@heartsmyface ,

Again, this looks delicious!

@heartsmyface Tandoori chicken sounds delicious. I don't know if I have ever tried pickled onions.

Ooohhh that looks so warm and hearty @heartsmyface! Great combo!

@JoSometimes  Ha it was!  I’m just realizing how much rice I eat nowadays.  It’s my carb staple! 

@heartsmyface I understand completely! I’m Filipino. Even our desserts are made of rice! 🤣🍚

Looks great! And with a nice fresh slice of lime too @heartsmyface yum! 

@CynthieLu Mmmmmm.  I think most meals are complimented by a spritz of lime, no?  Me thinking hard on that statement…: yep, I’m committing to it:) 

Are there any leftovers @heartsmyface?!! I’ll bring my own Tupperware. This looks yummy! 😋 

@itsfi Only rice unfortunately! I need to learn to make more meat cause I always seem to finish the meat and have all this rice to use up.  I do feel inspired to make rice crackers but this is the wrong kind of rice.  soon though.  

Posting something I didn’t cook for a change. Today I ordered salty pork bone congee from a local Chinese restaurant. Also ordered char siu pork and added some of it to the bowl, plus gai lan (Chinese broccoli). 

There’s a hunk of pork bone in the bowl; you can see a bit of it poking out near the bbq pork.There’s a hunk of pork bone in the bowl; you can see a bit of it poking out near the bbq pork.

Rice porridge is to me what chicken noodle soup is to most people: a warm humble bowl of comfort for those “ugh, I feel like crud” days. I do also love chicken noodle soup. I just prefer rice porridge—and thankfully, many different countries/regions have their own version of it. I’m about 1/4 through that bowl right now and I already feel a bit better. 🙂 

I can never order from this particular restaurant without having their jian dui (sesame balls): 

These have a sweet lotus paste filling.These have a sweet lotus paste filling.

These are waiting for me to finish my congee. I’ve never tried making these at home, but someday I will. 

Ahhhh @WinglessOne, jook (congee) is the ultimate comfort food for me. ♥️ Reminds me of my childhood (heck, brings back memories as an adult too). Even more so with the pork bone. 

Oh, gai pan; one of my favorite veggies. Add a little hot mustard on the side and I’m all good! 😋 

@itsfi  There’s just something so comforting about it, right? I wish I had the patience required to make it (and any other version of rice porridge) at home more often. I do have the patience to cook gai lan, even with the prep needed, but I haven’t felt like cooking much of anything from scratch for a few days. 

It’s wonderful when a dish brings back good childhood (or adulthood) memories. 🙂 My main childhood memory jogger is apple pancakes (just like blueberry pancakes, but with granny smith apple slices inside instead); my mother used to make them every weekend, and they’re still one of my favorite foods to make and eat. 

@WinglessOne This looks so good and definitely my kind of comfort food too! Congee is pretty easy to make but requires much patience and constant stirring. You really have to babysit it or it burns so quickly. 

@JoSometimes  Yep, the reason I don’t often make congee (or any other version of rice porridge) is the same reason I rarely make risotto: the forever stirring. Both dishes are worth the effort and patience, but good grief. I have no problem taking time to prep veggies, fruits, and proteins before cooking (it’s sometimes kinda fun for me because I love my knives), but standing at the stove and stirring and stirring and stirring is almost too much for me. 😂 Someone needs to invent a stovetop stirring machine. 

As I typed that last sentence, I swear I heard a friend’s mother say “no you can’t rely on a machine, you need to use FEELING!” 😅 She’s the person who taught me how to make congee (and a few other Chinese dishes) many years ago. She was one of my favorite people on Earth. So was (and still is) her daughter. When we visit or call/Facetime each other and cook together and need to make food/technique choices, sometimes we stop and say, “what would [her mom] do?” ❤️ 

10,713 Replies
testing