What's on your plate?

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? Smiley Very Happy

Re: What's on your plate?

you should look for the cute pancake video from this channel.. I almost died from cuteness, haha

It was the tofu for a miso.

Looks like me slicing baby carrots for casserole.

Spoiler
I quarter them and make a little less than qaurter inch pieces. Drives my husband nuts, but I otherwise find the carrot takes too long to chew. Aggravates the TMJ after a while.

IMG_5098.JPG

Made turkey meatballs the other day, which turned into turkey meatball paninis!

The paninis included meatballs, tomato basil sauce, arugula, grilled red onion, provolone and prosciutto on ciabatta bread!

I need some good gf paninis in my life right now!

I paNEEDni this in my life.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh good god. *destroys all vegetarian food* seriously. That. Looks. so good. Maybe I can do this with mushrooms and spinach for that consistency 

Maybe you can find a recipe for meatless meatballs and then try it!

IMG_20150303_165929.jpggenral tso tofu and steamed rice. Mmmmmm

[ Edited ]

Today for lunch I had a salad consisting of ripe organic diced pear on top of organic broccoli slaw, with roughly cut Spanish salami put on top with a tahini dressing. Broccoli slaw is grated broccoli and carrot. The Spanish salami is a deli package that contains three different Spanish deli meats that's sold at Trader Joe's. The dressing consisted of some organic tahini (to give the dressing creaminess and body), splash of champagne vinegar, and dash of liquid vanilla (to add sweetness to complement the pear).

pear-broc-slaw-3-3-2015EDIT - Copy.jpg

Nacho salad tonight. Homemade plantain chips on bottom. Toppings consisted of organic butter lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, green onions, taco-seasoned beef and avocado.

nachos-2-28-2015cEDIT - Copy.jpg

Yum! Rigt down my alley Smiley Happy How did you make your chip Divwa?

Where were you? We made a plate for you! Smiley Wink

Chip recipe here:

Spoiler

Plantain Chips or “Tortilla” Chips (for nachos or snacking)

Ingredients:

2 green plantains

1 to 2 tablespoons ghee, melted

Sea salt

Seasonings, optional (see below)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Space two oven racks about evenly apart. Cover two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Prep the plantains. Cut off both ends of the plantains, then with the tip of a sharp knife, make shallow slits lengthwise along the skin. Use your fingers to pry off the strips. With a mandolin slicer on its thinnest setting, slide the plantains into coins. Use your gloved hands or two wooden spoons to toss the slices in a large bowl with the melted ghee.

Assemble and season the plantains. Use six or more coins (or various pieces) to make each “tortilla” or “chip.” Lay them flat on the parchment paper with edges slightly overlapping (while they bake, the natural starches will make the coins or pieces stick together). Sprinkle with sea salt and any other seasonings you want.

Bake the plantains. Bake for 15 minutes, and then switch places of the two baking sheets, so what was the sheet on top is now the sheet on the bottom, and vice versa. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, until very crisp and beginning to brown.

Remove from the oven and eat now, store or use as nachos. Let cool and then eat now, store in a sealed container or use for nachos. If making into nachos, top with nacho fixings such as thinly sliced greens, thinly sliced red onion, thinly sliced pepperoncini, seasoned ground beef, chopped tomato, chopped ripe avocado, etc.

Some suggested (optional) seasonings to use: Smoked paprika (sweet, hot or bittersweet); garlic powder; onion powder; ground cinnamon; lemon pepper; smoked chipotle chili powder; and any others you can think of.

[ Edited ]

Thx you so much Divwa. I had so much fun snorkeling and forgot time for dinner but I can bring some tropical fruits over (banana and rambutan) Smiley Happyimage.jpg

that sounds more fun than cooking and eating!

That rambutan looks most intriguing. I have never eaten a rambutan.

Rambutan is a popular fruit in Southeast Asia though you can find it in any Hawaii islands. When I did a wiki, they said you can find it now in Honduras and Costa Rica. I haven't been in either place so I can verify that Smiley Wink but I can sure you can buy it at any fruit stand in Hawaii. Next time if you and your hubby in Hawaii, please try (just for the heck of it) Smiley Happy It is sweet and has similar taste to Longan or Lychee.  I took the picture last week when we was in Kauai. I wish I can bring some home to you Divwa Smiley Happy

I hope that my husband and I get to Hawaii again sometime. What a lovely place!

[ Edited ]

Spaghetti Squash Enchilada Boats. Me no like. Husband ate it all, I couldn't. I just "cleaned" all the melted cheese from the top of it. Smiley Very Happy

Looks pretty, though. Smiley Happy And, I like the idea. But, I think I don't like spaghetti squash...

Enchilada Boats 2.jpg

Enchilada Boats.jpg

The recipe is in the spam tag. I modified it by adding some ground beef. I had to. All veggie meal?! Sorry, but

upload_6919289805334669256.gif

Spoiler

Spaghetti Squash Enchilada Boats (Grain-free)

A medley of vegetables smothered in a quick homemade enchilada sauce and topped with a bubbly layer of cheese, for an enchilada-style dish without the tortillas!

Ingredients:
1 (3 lbs.) spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups fresh spinach
1 (14.5 oz) can roasted tomatoes with green chiles
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 ounces goat cheddar, shredded

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat. Cut the spaghetti squash in half, scoop out and discard the seeds in the center, and place the squash halves face-down on the lined baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the skin can be easily pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
2. In the meantime, pour the entire can of roasted tomatoes and green chiles (including the liquid) into a blender and add in the ground cumin and salt. Blend until smooth and set aside.
3. Melt the coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat and saute the onion until it's tender, about 8 minutes. Add in the garlic and spinach, and stir until the spinach is wilted. Use a fork to scrape the cooked spaghetti squash flesh into pot and pour the enchilada sauce over the top. Stir well until everything is heated through, season to taste, and then divide the cooked vegetables between the two shells of the spaghetti squash arranged cut-side-up on a baking sheet. (Alternatively, you can just use two oven-safe serving dishes, if you'd prefer.) Top each serving with shredded goat cheddar, and place the baking sheet under your oven's broiler, set to high, for about 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve warm.

*Note: This meal can be prepared very quickly on a weeknight if you have the spaghetti squash prepared ahead of time. I like to cook two squashes at a time, so that I have an extra one to use for a quick future meal! Also, feel free to use a jar of prepared enchilada sauce in this recipe, if you prefer. (Though if you need to remain gluten-free or grain-free, be sure to check in the ingredients– many of them contain flour.)

From Detoxinista.

I recently made a spaghetti squash meal as well. I made homemade turkey meatballs and scraped the spaghetti squash from the squash to use as "pasta." I really did not enjoy it but I think it would have been better if I had cooked the spaghetti squash longer and had a better sauce for it. 

I am sorry you did not enjoy your enchilada boats. They are really adorable anyway! At least your hubby enjoyed them. Smiley Wink 

Best,
Randee

Bwahahaah to the "Nope" octopus!!!!

Thanks for sharing the recipe, the food pics look amazing!

I have to agree with you. I don't like spaghetti squash much either. I so prefer butternut squash--it's so much tastier. Spaghetti squash tastes too squashy to me.

Yeah... I had to try them. And, now I know - I don't like them.

I don't think I've ever had a butternut squash... What would you suggest to try and make with those?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments