cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Mmmm, noodle bowl!!!!

Happy birthday (now belated) again!!!! 😄

Anonymous Insider

@lylysa: California rolls are my fave, but I'm open to trying most kinds. 🙂

I tend to get crazy with rolls!

My favorite is unagi (eel) because it has such a smokey, slightly sweet flavor! But I'm also a fan of spicy tuna and smoked salmon!

Anonymous Insider

Breakfast : scrambled eggs, bacon and cinnamon rolls

Lunch: left over cinnamon rolls from breakfast

Dinner: Baked Chicken and Spanish rice

❤️ Spanish rice! What did you season the baked chicken with?

Anonymous Insider

I think I'm now on a kind of rock star diet that consists of mostly sushi and Frappuccinos. lol Smiley LOL

I love sushi and frapps. Woot! 🙂

What kind of sushi????? Yum!

sounds right up my alley 😄

Yay I finally finished that last piece of GIANT chocolate cake. I forget that I always gain 5-10lbs whenever I make rum cake. =X

Had a small moon cake for breakfast.

Then a sausage, egg and cheese croissant sandwich for lunch. 

Dinner will be healthier, a cob of corn and watermelon. =D

Rum cake is AMAZING! 🙂

image.jpg

image.jpg

I made pizza today.  It was perfect for the first Sunday for regular season football. Mmmmmmm

My mouth is watering right now, beautyjunkie!!

CHUNKY mushroom slices!!! Love it! I hate when mushrooms are cut so thin they're like toasted slivers on a pizza, I'm a mushroom fanatic! Big, hearty pieces like that make my tummy happy! Those pizzas look delish! Did you cook them on a pan/sheet or right on the rack?

I cooked them on a metal pizza pan.  The one I have has holes in center area.  It helps to crisp up the pizza.

I found the easiest pizza crust & sauce recipe.  We like our homemade versions more than some we have ordered.

Recipe share!!!! 😄 Pretty please???

Here you go - I combined a few recipes to get the one that I really liked.  I use bread flour which does give you a nice crisp and snap to the crust .

Dough - From Food Network – Bobby Flay
3 1/2 to 4 cups bread flour, plus more for rolling (Chef's Note: Using bread flour will give you a much crisper crust. If you can't find bread flour, you can substitute it with all-purpose flour which will give you a chewier crust.)
1 teaspoon sugar
1 envelope instant dry yeast
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 cups water, 110 degrees F
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons

Combine the bread flour, sugar, yeast and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and combine. While the mixer is running, add the water and 2 tablespoons of the oil and beat until the dough forms into a ball. If the dough is sticky, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a solid ball. If the dough is too dry, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a smooth, firm ball.
Grease a large bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, add the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and put it in a warm area to let it double in size, about 1 hour. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Cover each with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap and let them rest for 10 minutes. Note – you can cut into 4 pieces and make slightly smaller pizzas. If you aren’t going to use all the dough at one time, you can wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze.
For the sauce:
1 (28 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
Sugar to taste

Put all ingredients into a blender and mix until mostly smooth. I use about ½ teaspoon of sugar and taste to see if you need any addition sugar or spice. Unused sauce can be frozen for use later. Note – I freeze mine in small snack bags. One bag covers 2 small pizzas.
Preheat oven to 500. On a floured surface roll dough into a circle about 12-14 inches if you use ½ dough recipe or 8-10 inches if you use ¼ dough recipe. Transfer circle to pizza pan or pizza stone covered with about ½ -1 T of cornmeal. Top pizza with sauce and desired toppings. Cook for 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is brown.

This is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing! What's funny is that as I was reading I was curious about storing extra dough and behold, I skim down a few more lines and there's the bit about freezing it!

I've never made my own pizza dough, but have made little personal pizzas using pita bread which was fun. This is definitely something I'll have to try!

We always bought those Bobli crusts.  I decided to try making my own dough this spring & scoured for a recipe that was easy to make and didn't require anything fancy.  I tried like 3 different ones before I settled on the Bobby Flay pizza dough version.  

Wrapping in the cling wrap first, then putting it in a freezer bag is the easiest way I've found.  You just need to take the ball out in the morning & put in your fridge, you should be good my the end of the day.  Just leave it out for about 20-30 minutes before you are going to bake to bring it closer to room temp.

My first time, I didn't get the dough thin enough so it was way too chewy.  The next time I got the dough too thin and it was a little too crispy.  It took me at least 4/5 pizzas before I could get the dough just right.  Now if I could get it to roll into a perfect circle. Smiley Frustrated

I like odd shaped pizzas! To me that's a sure fire way to know it's handmade because it's not the traditional "perfect" circle. Off-shaped pizzas are like snowflakes :P...delicious snowflakes haha!

Thanks for the tips! Have you had any experiences regarding how long the dough has been left in the freezer and whether or not it ever got to the point of freezer burn? I don't have bread flour at the moment, but I have whole what all-purpose so I think I'll try my hand at that, maybe see if I can roll it thinner so it's not as crunchy as your notes have mentioned with bread flour versus AP flour. All I need is the yeast and I essentially have everything else. I'm excited! This might be a weekend meal, if I make it, I'll post pics!

The dough seems to be best used within a month of putting it in the freezer.  I think wrapping in plastic, then putting in the freezer bag helps.  I do it immediately after it has risen and I've portioned the dough out. 

The biggest thing is getting the dough an even thickness.  I forgot to mention that I rub the outer section of the crust with olive oil to brown it up a little more.  

I can't wait to see your results. 🙂

3 Replies
testing