cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Confession time: He didn't take all of the cake with him.  I'm so exhausted and mentally drained from work that I am having a small piece of cake just for the sugar rush so I have energy to go cook.

Fresh peaches are the best!

I made absolutely mouth-watering burgers today.

For lunch: veggie burger wrapped in lettuce, with a slice of tomato (being good)

For dinner: beef burger (Whole Foods had them on special yesterday, 1/4 lb burgers $1.00 each!), with American cheese, grilled bacon, and on a toasted potato bun. With it- some cherries.

Bacon cheeseburger is way over the indulgence line even for me- but it was just so good.  I'll be good and eat nothing but salad for a few days, maybe a bit of baked chicken. Still, so good to indulge!

Mmmm, potato bun!!!!!!

Butter is the archenemy of health, and I just ate pretty much half stick of it. Made the most delicious pineapple upside down cake ever.....and it contains 2 sticks of butter. It's a med size cake and I just ate a slice. Not sure if I should marvel at it's deliciousness, or be horrified at the fact I just ate half stick of butter. T.T

Sooo tired. Cooked enough food for the whole weekend, here's my international menu:

Breakfast:

- moon cake (Chinese)

- dragon fruit

Lunch:

- Black bean/corn/tomato salsa + 2 sunny side up eggs (TexMex)

Dinner:

- Lentil Kofte (Turkish cold dish)

- Beef burger patties (American)

Made chicken stock, then Mushroom Bourguignon (French?) to eat tomorrow. Probably making a pineapple upside down cake tomorrow. For now, washing dishes and cleaning....>.<

Ooo, what was the filling in the moon cake?

Lotus moon cake, the kind with layered floury shell. Personally my favorite are the egg yolk ones with a yellow cake-ish shell, but those only comes out around Moon Festival.

Right!!! That's when the Asian markets get flooded with boxes upon boxes of moon cakes! 

Goodness, seems I missed out on some posting here over the weekend!

BeeBeeJ, thank you for the personal message, I wasn't able to catch your original post, but I do appreciate the time you took to apologize. Everyone has bad days, I feel you weren't intentionally trying to cause any issues here. Yes, most of us who have posted share some pretty healthy meals, but we do post things like sweets or even super indulgent foods from time to time.

I know we all appreciate doing good for our bodies (be it with beauty regimens and products or for the insides with good, nutritious food), but splurging on something here or there translates from the plate to even our beauty purchases. 😛 I mean c'mon, do we REALLY need a new palette or one more scoop of ice cream? Obviously we're not here to just buy buy buy nor are we here to just gorge ourselves, so to keep things going, here's my meals for the day!

Breakfast:

-Bolthouse Farm Mocha Cappuccino (saving half for later in the afternoon, it's got 7 grams of protein and I have a work out later so it'll give my stomach something to work with so I'm not exercising on an empty one)

-Breakfast taco (potato, egg, and cheese)

Lunch:

-Tacos (left over from last night)

My bf seasoned lean ground beef (80/20, I was super amazed because it's the first time I haven't had to strain out excess oil or fat being cooked out from the meat) with tomato paste, salt, fresh ground black pepper, onion powder, and cumin. Pair that with corn tortillas, fresh diced Roma tomatos, lettuce, fat free sour cream, and a Mexican cheese blend

Dinner: (or at least, plans for tonight)

-Grilled or baked chicken of some sort

-Loaded potato wedges (baked, top with crumbled applewood smoked bacon, green onion, mild cheddar, and fat free sour cream

Anonymous Insider

@starletta8- I agree indulgence in food once is a while is fine. I'm a very weight conscious small person but even I indulge I spilled the beans on that when I did the "I Love oooey gooey cheese pizza and the strawberry shortcake remark because I love both you don't have to be "Iron" in being healthy never indulging leads to binging and everyone knows that's not good. I stand strong with you on that.:)

Anonymous Insider

editing this because i have no fight left in me right now. sorry. no offense intended. 

I'm not going to shun you, but I can't help but notice that it was my sandwich that made you speak out.  So, I'm going to say something.

Respectfully, I'd ask if you've read the whole thread.  Just a few posts down, there's a discussion about grilling techniques, vegetables, etc.  I agree that respecting your body is important.  Many of us do (for the most part), but IMO it's ok to indulge every now and then.

Also- I respect that you may disagree with my comfort food, but I stand behind it.  I usually consider sparkling water an indulgence.  If you're able to eat only 100% healthy food 24/7/365, good job and I admire the willpower.  For me, it's all about enjoying life. 95% healthy, 5% fun.

And enjoying food every now and then is respecting your body.

I have to share my guilty pleasure.

Disclaimer: not with child, I've been eating this combo since I was a child.

Wheat bread

Kosher Dill pickle

Pepperoni

Gouda cheese

Longhorn cheese

Baked chicken

Edamame

Cucumber salad (topped with crab meat and sesame seeds)

Green Tea

@starletta8 I'm so close to purchasing the Skinny Grill Pan to use instead of our old electric caphlon grill & thought of you. I love that it's cast iron. We went chemical free a few years back, so no tephlon, plastic storage, non-stick... It's expensive, but since I do most of the cooking it seems easier to use & clean up than the caphlon grill. & it's safe for glass tops... YAY! 

I have a glass top, and it's worked wonderfully. I have the Sur la Table exclusive one because it's the smallest one that Le Creuset makes and I'm only ever cooking for 2, max.

Not to enable, but it's the best cooking-related purchase I've made in a long time.  I use it almost daily, and twice a day on the weekend!  You just need to make sure to keep it oiled with olive oil- yum!

As an update- I still use that grill 1-2 times a day, and it's just getting better with use.  And keeping it oiled is just habit by now.

Anonymous Insider

@starletta8 I LOVE asparagus I usually squirt a little lemon juice on mine. Yum yum.

Yes!  I love fresh asparagus!

I just love summertime cooking in general- it's just better and almost more fun to cook with all fresh ingredients.

Oooo, I'm going to totally have to add some lemon onto mine! Don't know why I never did!

It's such an easy thing to make and takes no time at all!

3 Replies
testing