cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Breakfast:

small cinnamon roll (oops, this is my bad food for the day)

mega-sized coffee with soy milk

Lunch:

4oz grilled skirt steak

small side salad

Dinner:

2 lemon pepper chicken drumsticks (baked)

Grilled asparagus with olive oil

fruit salad

Haha, I like how you have a "small" cinnamon roll balanced with a "mega" sized coffee! 😄

Made bacon hamburger casserole last night since my bf and I bought bacon in bulk! Haha!

Recipe:

-1 lb lean ground beef

-1 small onion (of about 1/4 or 1/3 of a larger onion), diced up

-Half a bag of egg noodles (egg-free egg noodles can also be used, or other types of pasta)

-8 or 9 strips of bacon (or turkey bacon if you don't eat pork)

-Salt

-Pepper

-Chili powder/flake (optional, but adds a touch more flavor)

-Cheddar cheese (sharp is best since mild versions just get lost with the flavors)

-1 10 ounce can of condensed tomato soup

1. Cook pasta, strain, set aside

2. Cook bacon (oven, stove, griddle, microwave), crumble, set aside

3. Cook up ground beef with onion, season with salt and pepper, strain out any released fat, set aside

I like doing all three steps above all together so you save time, if prep/cook time won't allow for your bacon to cool down enough before you have to add it to the mix, use kitchen/cooking shears to snip them into chunks/pieces. I also like cooking up 1/3 of the diced onions up first in the pan so they're flavor is released a bit more before adding the beef. Don't be afraid to be generous with the salt and pepper since there's not a lot of spices in this recipe, you're going to want to be sure the beef isn't bland.

4. Take bacon and add it to the beef/onion mix, add in the can of soup and let it simmer for about 5 minutes, stir to distribute the soup well into the meat

5. Add in noodles and mix, letting simmer for another 5 minutes

6. Turn off heat and sprinkle cheddar cheese over dish and let sit so cheese melts down

7. Let it cool slightly, then serve up and enjoy!

Tonight's dinner:

Grilled lamb chops

Steamed Snap Peas

Small scoop of Mac n Cheese

Currently snacking on some apples and peanut butter.

I haven't really contributed to this post but I've been on a recent health kick the last week while I figured out what was causing stomachahes! (lactose intolerance and gluten anyone?)

SO I thought I'd share my dinner I just ate! 🙂

Turkey burgers

homemade guacamole on a corn tortilla

sauteed zucchini in garlic and butter

SMARTWATER

Once I started paying attention to my food intake.. I really realized how many chemicals and processed things are in our foods we buy 😞 I just hate that it can be really pricey to eat TRUE fresh foods! San Francisco is full of them at our farmers markets around the city but the prices are not easy to deal with sometimes!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

I've found that proper food storage will help preserve quite a bit and really stretch the food and money you spend on it. 

Also, steering clear of the middle aisles in grocery stores helps a lot, all the fresh food is always on the sides (veggies/fruits). 

Anonymous Insider

Ooh I know I love mixing strawberries with glaze and having strawberry shortcake like that. YUM!

Anonymous Insider

@starletta8- I love fresh strawberries this time of year they are so gooood.

Yes!  And these were so ripe that they had to be eaten today.  The best kind.

Another productive day lost to headaches- I woke up at almost 2.

Brunch: Naturebox Whole Wheat Figgy Bar

Dinner*: Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken Drumsticks

Corn on the Cob

Grilled Asparagus with Sea Salt

* Subject to change since I'm heading out to the farmers' market later.

Anonymous Insider

Feel better soon!  I yet migraines as well so, definitely feel your pain >.< have you tried taking meds for it?  I find Imitrex works for mine 🙂

I've been on medication for literally decades... I just have to accept that I'll lose a certain number of days to them.

And my dinner prediction was spot-on, aside I added a pint of fresh strawberries for desert.

Anonymous Insider

@lylysa- I've got the recipe for the Doritos Taco Bake so I'll go ahead and post it for you:

Ingredients:

1 lb Ground Beef

Crispy Flat Tostada shells (approximately 12 of them, enough to layer.

1 Taco Seasoning Packet

Chopped Green Chiles (optional)

11 oz Bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos- Says to use 3/4 of the bag but everyone will use different amounts.

About 3 cups or so of shredded cheddar cheese

Lettuce, Tomato and Sour Cream to garnish

9x13 baking dish

Directions:

Cook beef  with the Chiles and Taco Seasoning.

Place a layer of the Crispy Shells in the bottom of  baking dish and top  it with a layer of beef and top that layer with some cheese,  Continue layering until you've reached your desired height and your out of layering ingredients.

Top the whole thing with a nice layer of Doritos, cover and bake at 350 for approximately 25 minutes, remove the cover and continue baking for another 10 minutes until the chips are crisp and slightly golden. Let it cool a bit , use lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream as garnish. Serve it up and dig in:)

Oooo, thank you thank you!!! 😄

ok today planned for tomorrow if I follow through with being "good"

breakfast (if I wake up in time*sighs*):

- 16 oz French Roast coffee + 1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk

- 1 Plum

- 1 scrambled egg with 1 cup spinach cooked into it and topped with a teaspoon of hot sauce

LUNCH: (If I have time between projects @ work fridays are busy)

- 1 slice whole wheat bread

- thins pread of whipped cream cheese, plain

- thinley sliced cucumber enough to cover the bread

- a pinch of dried dill weed

- a sprinkle of sea salt

- 1 asian pear (haven't tried one ever before & picked up a sack of them up @ the local famers market yesterday that sets up shop on the street outside by my work

- a 32 ouce jumbo bottle of strawberry lemonade sparkling water

for snacks:

- african autmn tea (a red herbal decaf blend of tea)

- cashews & almond mix  1/8 cup

- 1 cup green seedeless grapes

for dinner:

- 1 cup baby fresh spinach with a tablespoon of light ceasar cracked pepper olive oil vinagarette

- 1 cup brita filtered water with a slice of fresh lime

-  a whole wheat open faced chicken salad sandwich

Exercise:

1 walk around the lake if it isn't storming tomorrow at a brisk pace which totals about 20 minutes of time

1 hour no matter what! of wii fit + balance board balance & aerobics & stregth training game assortement

Anonymous Insider

I got the recipe to make Doritos Taco bake and I really hope it turns out well  I'm gonna make it for supper one night next week. Wish me luck!

You had me at "Doritos"! 😛

That sounds super yummy!!!! Let us know how it goes and if it's share-worthy, I'd love for the recipe to be posted here!

I saw a photo online of someone that put pieces of Cool Ranch Doritos in a pepper grinder to create their own super crunched up seasoning for taco dishes!

It was so hot today, I was too lazy to really cook so I made a quick skillet meal: red potatoes, onions, broccoli, mushrooms & italian chicken sausage cooked in white wine, truffle oil & some leftover chicken stock I had in the freezer. 

Your too lazy to cook --> mushrooms & italian chicken sausage cooked in white wine, truffle oil & chicken stock

My too lazy to cook --> Cup of Ramen and honey dew melon.

Lol, you are too good. Speaking of which, I've been curious about truffles stuff. I know there's black truffle and white truffle? and somebody claimed they taste like mushroom? How do you like them, what do they taste like, and are there any brands of truffle/oil you would recommend?

LOL, it was very simple, I chopped & threw everything into a cast iron & walked away. 

I love mushrooms, but truffle oil is a lot richer. Black is more flavorful, white is slightly milder. I get the black truffle oil from wegmens it comes in a little bottle, all you need is a few drops. The white I purchase at Home Goods when they have it since it's a lot cheaper there. 

I don't eat french fries often, but if I see truffle fries with parmesan & rosemary on a menu I almost always order it! 

The fries I had didn't have rosemary, but they did have parmesan! Yum, I think the dishes I've ever had only used white truffle oil as I'm sure I would have noticed a difference between the fries and chips if they used different oils.

1 Reply
testing