cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

swfupload_8556171649544014882.jpg

Cocoa Pebbles!!!! 😛

Sometimes a girl just wants some Cocoa Pebbles! 🙂

Oh the recipes reminded me: try to avoid canned tomatos and go for glass jar if you can. Apparently the acidity of the tomato breakdown some chemicals in metal/tin cans and are bad for you. Go for fresh or glass jarred. 😃

Yeah I've heard that too, haven't made the switch yet (for the canned tomatoes in the recipe I posted) but we do try to go organic when possible!

Oh speaking of organic, it's more important for some produce than others or so I heard. Root vegetables such as potatoes/beets/carrots are responsible for absorbing everything so it's more important to get root vegetables that are organic as opposed to things like orange or banana that you peel (especially when you are on a tight budget and can't do organic everything).

Yep. Anything I eat a lot of I get organic, and its not organic (milk, eggs, cereal, pasta, potatoes, carrots, etc) unless it has the USDA stamp of approval. I cant tell you how many items say "natural" or "organic" but arent. >_< I started buying some organic things when I saw the dramatic difference in taste between organic milk and eggs and regular milk and eggs. The regular fat free milk is basically water and has no milk taste for me, and the organic fat free milk tastes sooo good, its not nearly as watery tasting. The organic eggs taste completely different than the regular ones to me. Its been years now since I've had the "fake" eggs, and I absolutely will never, can never ever go back.

Do you ever think about how every store has sooooo much milk/eggs? Its not real. They put a sticker of a cow on the milk to trick us into thinking that its farm fresh when in reality....its just a powder that they mix with water. O.O

Especially true for skim milk/ non-fat products (total scam). Your brain and skin need fat (including to metabolize other fats)...I always go full-fat. Should get more raw dairy...and yum, eggs from flax-seed fed, humanely-raised chickens taste great and are rich in Omega-3's...

Reconstituted milk!!!!!!!

Bleghhhhhh >.<

And, while were posting recipes, here is my mom's amazing spaghetti...most people say it's the best they ever had...my husband makes it= awesome husband. Obviously not low-carb/ low-fat, but definitely a lot healthier than sauce in jar (and cooking tomatoes boosts their lycopene).

Spaghetti Bologna:

1 lb spaghetti

1 lb ground chuck

1/2 lb. sausage-pork or turkey OR 1/2 lb. bacon

1 large onion

fresh garlic(I like a lot-it's up to you how much)

1 carrot-if organic, don't peel

1 celery stick-soak it in salt water to get out chemicals-soak for 10 minutes

1 red bell pepper-or 1 green bell pepper

or 1 small of each

olive oil

1 half pound of mushrooms

1 15 ounce can tomato sauce, 1 can of tomato paste

saute the chopped onion with olive oil

add chopped carrot, celery and pepper

cook for about 15 minutes

add chopped garlic

add meat

cook until meat is not red or pink

add tomato sauce and tomato paste

cook covered for 1 1/2 hrs.

cook spaghetti until al dente

top with either parmesan or romano cheese

Kudos to men who cook!

BACON in sauce?!?! O_O You have me!

Now with all these spaghetti and tomato based recipes from you and Moregun, I just HAVE to make pasta now! 😛 See how easy it is to twist and pull my arm?

Omg so good...red lead for sure!

breakfast: smoothie w/ spirulina, cherry juice, greek full-fat yogurt, coconut oil, banana, frozen pineapple and raspberries, kiwi (the fruits vary daily except the banana, the other components are the same).

brunch: quiche from NewTree (probably not the healthiest thing in the world, but homemade and yummy/ natural)...I never used to eat breakfast at all and the smoothie is just to not have an empty stomach/ get some EFAs and anti-oxidants going, usually have oatmeal as a later breakfast. And a mocha...

lunch: wasn't that hungry at lunchtime, but I knew if I didn't eat something I'd be hungry later (and have to eat/ not work out or work out later). Went to San Francisco Fish Company in the Ferry Bldg and got 1/4 lb of their prawn ceviche...yummy and the perfect amount of food, nice and refreshing while sitting in the sun.

I try to drink a fair amount of tea also (should drink more water...I tend to drink more at night)...Red Blossom Tea company in SF carries fantastic tea...their Three Cultivar Red, Natural Cultivar and Moroccan Mint are some of my faves, but I'm looking fwd to trying more.

Not sure what's for dinner yet, my husband will shop...and actually he has to cook tonight!

Same here with breakfast! I never used to eat it, but I do know how important it is. Now I try to at least have a breakfast taco, or a smoothie....while reading your's I was drooling and drooling and drooling!

I haven't had quiche in forever, a weakness of mine are mini quiches! I just pop them one at a time until I realize "Oh my gosh, I've had about 5 or 7", along with a plate of food! 😄

I realized after I ate it all I didn't take a photo! 😄 I had leftovers for lunch, but last night for dinner with my friends I made:

-Beef slow cooked with asparagus

-Garlic butter, rosemary, cheesey mashed potatoes

-Tricolor rotini noodles with velveta and added broccoli

Yum yum!

Anonymous Insider

Delicious!  That sounds amazing 😛

If only we lived in the same city, we could have food swaps!!! Or we can just wait until we can transport things through computer monitors!

Anonymous Insider

Seriously!

I'm probably making chicken parm tomorrow night and I can't help but to think it would pair nicely with your tomato soup/sauce below.

Anonymous Insider

I could see that working as a marinara, there certainly would be a LOT left over 😛

4 Replies
testing