cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Anonymous Insider

Re: What's on your plate?

Gotta love roasted potatoes!  

Mmhmm! And so easy to make!

Rather than brave the restaurant scene yesterday on Valentine's, I made dinner for my boyfriend and I. Nothing fancy, I cooked up the last huge porkchop we had (baked with spices) and stir-fried some shiritaki noodles with veggies. I also made a steamed pork spare ribs dish that my family has made for forever that my boyfriend happens to love!

I wanted to share the recipe with you guys! To my fellow-nonmeat eaters/nonpork eaters, you can use the marinade to season things like tofurkey or other forms of protein.

BPR.jpg
First things, first...ingredients (photo 1):

-Port spare rib pieces (you can get pork ribs cut into long strips from the butcher and then cut them into invdividual pieces at home)

-Seasame oil

-Soy sauce

-Oyster sauce (you can omit this if you like, I add it because it brings a bit of sweetness to it)

-Sugar (you can also use honey or just rely on the oyster sauce)

-Onion powder

-Chili powder

-Salt

-Pepper

-Corn starch (I have Tempura batter as it's virtually the same thing)

As you can see, in photo 3, there's a jar of sauce called Spare Rib Sauce, it's virtually the same as the ingredient list above, comprising of soy sauce, spices, and sugar, only it's a thicker consistency. You can use this instead as the bulk of your marinade (jazzing it up with more spices and the corn startch and oil) or add a bit to the marinade you put together yourself.

In photo 2, you can see all the ingredients added together. From my past posting/thread about chicken noodle soup, you know that I'm not a super stickler on amounts as it's dependant on how much pork you're cooking up. Go off of smell, let that be your balance if you need to add any more of the ingredients to the marinade. After mixing it up, you can let it sit in the fridge to further soak in or move right ahead to cooking.

In photo 4 you see a large pot with water and an upturned ceramic shallow bowl. This is a great way to make your own steamer if you don't have one! Turn the shallow dish upside down as you'll rest a slightly larger one with the pork on top and add enough water to come up to the first line of your fingertips when you stick your fingers down into the pot.

From there, set the slightly larger dish on top, cover with a lid and cook at medium on the stove top, if your stove knob has numbers at 5-6 is good. These cook for a minimum of 30 minutes, even up to 45 if you have more or just want the meat to come away from the bone more.

Photo 5 is the completed product. 🙂

You can add things into the marinade like ginger, garlic, or even sesame seeds, even mushrooms!

I will try to make this. I had it at dimsum. Yummy. Thanks.

Ooohhh~~

I so need to make this! I brought Hoisin sauce (seafood sauce) just because I feel like my cupboard need more asian-ness, but I haven't had a chance or any recipes to use it in. Maybe I will use it with this recipe (I usually don't cook meat since I'm paranoid about bacteria and lazy about washing dishes). =X

The Hoisin sauce would be perfect in this dish!!!

Clean up is pretty easy, the only dish you wash is the platter you cook it in (unless you have leftovers, then keep it in that platter and stick it in the fridge) and the bowl you mix it in.

Of course the knife and cutting board, and chopsticks/spoon that you use to mix up the meat and marinade with, but it's not bad for clean up. 🙂

You can also use the marinade just cooking on the stove for beef rather than steaming.

that's my favorite dish!!!!! steamed spare ribs!  my mom makes it for me whenever I visit them.  thanks for the detailed recipe steps 🙂

Awesome!!! My pleasure for providing the recipe and photos! I figured images could help out and bring some nice visuals!

Now you can make it on your own! 😄

Anonymous Insider

Last night, my mom fixed something quick because the washing machine is acting up.  As a result, I had to catch a couple of kitties and take them to the extra bedroom so they wouldn't get in the way.  

Mom, dad, Lanndan, and I had chicken tenders (no breading) and taters fixed in the skillet.  Although I am an English major, I still use southern slang around friends and family lol.

This morning, I ate a couple of gluten free waffles before my commute to campus.  Now, I'm enjoying a tall Starbucks house blend coffee with a shot of vanilla.  

Taters are the yum!!! How did you season them?

Last night I made baked chicken, did my own "Shake & Bake" recipe, cut two, butterflied chicken breasts into strips, dusted them with a bit of cornstartch, dipped in beaten egg, then seasoned with onion powder, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, chili powder, rosemary, and finally shook some garlic & herb bread crumbs.

Baked them at 350 degrees for 30 minutes while my rice cooker was going with brown rice and the steamer tray had broccoli.

Made plenty extra to take to work to share. ^_^

Had some shortbread Girl Scount cookies after!

Anonymous Insider

Interesting topic!  For breakfast this morning, I had a couple of gluten free waffles.  For lunch later today, I brought one of my gluten free noodle bowls. For supper, I think my family will be having leftover roast and potatoes (or taters as we always say around here lol).

Back in November, my dad and neighbor took a couple of steers to the meat packing place.  Since the steers were raised here, we know what they've been fed and whatnot.  And it is the best meat ever!  I never want meat from the grocery store again.  Before the steers were hauled, my dad had to get a bigger freezer for his share of the meat.  As Jase Robertson from Duck Dynasty says: "Meat from the grocery store scares me." lol.

Oooooo, I bet it's super tender!

Roast and taters sound so good right now! It's got a tad bit chilly here again (for the week at least :P) so having a good ol' bowl of stew sounds perfect!

Anonymous Insider

It was!  And probably healthier. The hormones and stuff some people give their cattle affects the test.  We only have cattle here, but I think we need to add in some pigs and chickens lol.  Homemade sausage is really good, too.  A family friend raises pigs and makes his own sausage, but he makes it spicy more for my dad.  I'm not much for super spicy lol.

I know different area of the US have different traditions of what fresh meats they eat and whatnot.  For example, when I watch Duck Dynasty, they have meals that I have never tried lol.  What wild game have you all tried?

I've had deer meat fixed a couple of different ways, and I've had dove during dove season.  Dove is really good, but not a lot of meat.  You better have a few good hunters to go hunt lol.

Also, I do not mean to offend anyone, if you're not for hunting or anything.  

I've had homemade sausage (deer and pork) and it's delicious, you can definitely tell fresh, homemade versions from store bought.

I've never had dove, but I've tried quail and duck tends to be a regular at some family dinners (Pei-King duck, it's skin is slightly crispy and we cut thin slices and make little sandwiches in buns with green onion, cucumber, and sauce).

My boyfriend's family is into hunting so whenever we're back in his home town if they have anything prepared they send us back with it. We got deer meat tamales last time but my b/f's freezer shorted out and we didn't know so we had to toss them out. 😞

Started by finishing up leftovers, last little bowl of black bean pumpkin soup and wilting spring mix, then the egg salad I made (got expired mustard, just add honey, mayo, salt. Then combine with chopped hardboiled eggs, cubed potato, and sliced carrot/cucumber/onion).

Lured my noisy downstair neighbors into shoveling my car out of the 3ft of snow with oreos and last couple sliceds of banana bread with caramel walnuts. Since my Indian neighbor was cooking when I went to borrow a shovel and I gushed shamelessly about how it smells so delicious every time I pass her door, she gave me some tasty Indian food: veggie stuff wrapped in thin pancakes, spicy fish/shrimp/spinach, donut balls soaked in rosewater.

El Fantastico!

Yum! It's always nice to make nice with the neighbors!

Breakfast this morning was hemp granola with Speciak K Fruit & Yogurt with milk and dinner was a chicken burger with a fried egg, splurged a bit on parmesan truffle, crinkle cut fries with iced tea. 

Last night was sushi, stocked up on some avocado and unagi rolls (unagi is my favorite) and edamame.

parmesan truffle! Alwasy curious about truffle but haven't had the guts to splurge. They don't carry it in stores near me, and I find buying food online sketchy. o.O. I've been told they taste like of like mushrooms?

They do, very earthy, but they play well with creamy flavors like white cheeses.

I eat a lot of carbs, I love my bread and my pasta, and I love potatoes (but not sweet potatoes). I'm good with fruits (banana, kiwi, apple, peach, plum, mango) but I'm bad with vegetables. I like green beans, corn on the cob, bell peppers of any color (though I admit, I rarely eat the green ones. Yellow, red and orange please) and cauliflower. I dont eat a lot of rice but I love soup. And I like a good thin crust pizza (Mandolas is the best! Brick oven baby!).

I tend to eat a mix of healthy and junk lol which is fine because I'm healthy. Today for breakfast I had 2 organic eggs sunny side up with a slice of bread. For lunch I ate a jalapeno pretzel from Aunty Annes and for dinner I had a slice of cake. Oh yeah. Living the dream haha! Once the weather gets super hot I barely eat anything, I tend to lose a lot of weight over the summer because its so hoT and I'm usually outside swimming or sweating. Scorching Texan heat.

5 Replies
testing