cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Wow that's a lot of food! 🙂

what a feast! @lylysa

I know! And that was just what we took home!

There was also fish soup and an appetizer plate of jellyfish, cold cut slices, chicken feet, and fried crab/shrimp dumplings! 

I was in food coma!

Everything sounds delish! 

What is a Red Egg party? It sounds DELICIOUS!!!!

It's a Chinese celebration for when a newborn makes it to the one month mark. Long story short, it originates from wayyyyyy back when in China when infant mortality rates were high. It was considered that if your baby was able to make it to the one month time span, chances are their survival was on the up and up so families would then celebrate. Red is a key color in the Chinese culture is associated and used in many celebrations or in positive aspects (it's also used plenty in weddings), and the eggs are used to symbolize birth, new life, and luck.

Traditionally, after the mother has given birth to the child, she's not supposed to be out and about that first month either. So she stays in and tends to the baby and just rests so her body can recoup. This is practiced so much today, but it can be pretty strict (like she can't go out of the house to even run errands, she's not supposed to stand for long periods of time, she's essentially to be bed-ridden with the baby, and typically her mother or the mother in law are supposed to be around to help with the cleaning/chores/cooking and making sure she stays put). At the party, the baby gets formally introduced to the family as during that first month the mom isn't supposed to be out and about to show off the child. A big dinner is held and eggs are hard boiled and dyed red and are served with the rest of the food. The baby can also receive lucky money, gifts, or jewelry too from family and friends that attend. 

Here's a pic of a basic set-up (pickled ginger is often served too).

Image result for red egg party

My cousin and I made this diaper cake for the baby (her and I always make diaper structures for baby showers or red egg events). Snapped this pic before we wrapped it up in cellophane and added the bow.

REP.jpg

That is awesome! Thanks for the back story.

You're welcome! ^_^

When my mom had her red egg party for me I was passed out in virtually all my photos...so there's this chubby little Asian baby knocked out and she placed the jewelry I received on me so I looked like a sleeping Mr. T! LOL!

A Sip-n-See!!!  lol!!! 

This sounds nice! If I have a baby I would like to extend this 'mother-baby time'  to the entire  first year!!!! 😉

When my step aunt became pregnant and had her baby, her mom and mother-in-law were SUPPPPPPER strict on the practices of her stay-in time. No cold drinks, no caffeine, staying away from cold temperatures, and I forget what else. They'd make a huge fuss if they saw her drinking Coke or if she cranked the AC up too high. 

I forgot, there's also this brew that is also made that's chocked full of ginger, Chinese herbs, and other stuff (I'm not exactly sure what because I've never seen it being made). Folks who happen to visit the new mother are encouraged to drink it to help share their vitality and chi with the new mom so her body can further recouporate quicker and better. It takes very bitter and sour and almost looks black. It's believed the more folks that can drink it, the better it is for mom and baby.

Last night's dinner was good old pizza and hard cider as a "side dish"! 😉 Perfect dinner if you ask me! Food of gods!

Sorry, no photos. Just a gif of me having a food orga... umm... nized... blissful... delight. Yep. That.

For dessert, I put this no bake beauty together for my honeybunch, and named it Oreo Coma... cuz... Oreos, Oreos everywhere! ( Yeah, he loves Oreos, in case you were wondering. 😄 )

oreo coma2.jpg

Um, Imma need dat Oreo recipe. 

Related image

@lyravega, do you hear me knocking on your door?! The whole meal (including hard cider) sounds perfect!

Oops. That was you, @DiVWA ? I was, umm, busy orga... nizing some dinner leftovers. It required my undivided attention. 😄

upload_6663787949621823491.gif

Uh huh, sure........ 😉

Agrigento red cabbage with olives and capers, with broiled lamb chops and potatoes.

agrigento-red-cabbage-lamb-chops-3-14-2017.jpg

Tonight we had pizza with homemade gluten-free crust. Toppings were pepperoni, mushrooms, roasted red bell pepper, artichoke hearts and black olives.

pizza-3-12-2017.jpg

Slow-cooked salmon fillet with a sauce of orange segments, whole grain Dijon mustard, sugar-free grape jam and cake flavored vodka. Side of brussels sprouts roasted in EVOO, maple syrup and ground juniper berries.

salmon-bruss-3-8-2017.JPG

This looks delicious @DiVWA totally up my alley!!! YUMM

Ello! Stopping by to say hi! 😉

Chicken parm tonight, with boneless/skinless chicken thighs "breaded" with crushed pork rinds, and roasted. Super yum!

chickenparm2.jpg

x.jpg

Anonymous Insider

@lyravega

oooo!  I've used pork rinds as breading for fried chicken (something I've only done a few times because frying is so messy and unhealthy!) but I thought if I baked them the breading would get soggy.  But that looks crispy.  Share your secrets, please!  Temp/techniques?

1 Reply
testing