cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

The consistency came out better this time! I didn't go overboard with milk/heavy cream like I did last time so it wasn't as thin this time around.

Last time it was just milk that I used but this time I added heavy cream first just so the consistency would stay rich and then a quick splash of milk as I mashed it first because I didn't want to make it too rich with more cream. Blended it all after it was mashed down and I was pleased!

Great!

I know! I'm really pleased. I didn't do as much cheese this time because I wanted to get the consistency right first. I'm wanting to experiment with color cauliflower next!

You will probably end up making and eating it without the cheese. A good mashed veggie (root or one like cauliflower) doesn't really need a cheese to "shine." Especially if served with sauces or gravies on top.

I actually don't do gravy all too often, every now and then I will 🙂

I had duck leg tonight, slow cooked with pineapple and sweet potato.

duck-leg-1-16-2017.jpg

I've been on a salmon chowder kick since it's gotten "cold" in Texas all randomly here and there for the past few months.

I start with preheating the oven to 350, I mist some olive oil onto some salmon filets, add sea salt, black pepper, and dill to both sides. I chop up some onion and add it onto a sheet of foil, lay the salmon pieces on top, fold over the foil to a loose fitting pouch (be sure there's some space), let that bake until the salmon is tender but not overcooked.

In a large pot, I have chicken stock set to boil (either water and bouillon or pre-made stock can work, I typically have the pot 2/3 full), some potatoes cubed up and some chopped carrot pieces. I add in about 1/2 cup of heavy cream (this measurement accompanies the 2/3 full pot of chicken stock). Once the salmon is out the oven, I shred up just the filets and add that to the soup (if you want the onion too, feel free to add it, I just like the flavor baked into the salmon for the soup itself). Add some more seasoning to taste (salt, pepper, onion powder, extra dill, etc.).

Since my first attempt I've added in baby clams, orzo pasta, mushroom chunks, and corn. Like any recipe I've shared, feel free to adjust portions and spices to your tastes!

Lamb chops with celery root "galette."

celery-root-galette-1-8-2017.JPG

Gorgeous plating! Looks really good, I'd never think to pair lamb with strawberries but now that I've seen you do it I can see how the flavors would work!

I love celery root! I need this recipe, @DiVWA !

Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake. Didn't make, not healthy, but omg so delicious. 

IMG_7276.JPG

*drools*

Doesn't matter if you didn't make it, don't care that it's not healthy, but will high five you for having a delicious treat! 😛

Whoa.

Y'all, I love this thread!!!

I spent Christmas in New Orleans, and I was too excited to take pictures of my food, so boo to me!

Here are some things I've eaten lately:

bagel1.jpg

Whole wheat cinnamon-raisin bagel toasted and buttered with Miyoko's Kitchen vegan European-style butter, with Kite Hill dairy-free cashew "cream cheese", sprinkled with ground flaxseed, chia seeds, toasted coconut, and cocoa, topped with fresh blueberries. All surrounded by fresh sliced navel orange wedges.  What a lovely breakfast!

thanksgiving1.jpg

This was what I ate for Thanksgiving dinner! We have @gardein turk'y roast, sweet potato casserole made with @miyokos_kitchen vegan butter, green beans, potatoes, turnip & collard #greens , #homemade cranberry sauce, vegan risotto, and @gardein gravy!

vegtacobell.jpg

Hah, here is a photo of what I ate on a recent all-nighter at my alma mater's library when I was working on my master's thesis. Just turned it in a week or so ago, woohoo! I went to taco bell to get a bean burrito (vegan), and also had some of their weird mountain dew flavors- excellent for the all-nighter!

vegcupcakes.jpg

The day after I turned in my thesis, my sister baked me some vegan cupcakes! These are famous-bakery-worthy! To the left, we have almond-vanilla cupcakes (made with almond milk instead of cow's milk and almond extract for extra flavor) with non-dairy gourmet 'cream cheese' icing with orange marmalade mixed in! To the right we have chocolate almond cupcakes with cocoa mixed into the batter, and the icing is the same as the other one, but with cocoa powder mixed in as well. #whoneedsmilkandeggswhenyouhavethese

hotchocveg.jpg

Then we have some hot cocoa vegan-style! I heated up unsweetened soymilk, stirred in melted Chocolate Dream dairy-free chocolate chips, and topped with @so_delicious coconut whipped cream. Garnished with a candy cane!chocosantaveg.jpg

On Christmas Eve, I ate this gorgeous gourmet vegan "milk" chocolate St. Nick filled with vegan sour gummy bears! So good!

meal1316.jpg

Last night I ate collard greens (Southern style, but without the ham hocks because #vegan 😉  ), veggie chili, yellow squash, and some Daiya-brand non-dairy mac and 'cheese' with field peas, carrots, and bell peppers. It was sooooo good that I got seconds.

chocomilk.jpg

And finally, my snack from this afternoon! I had warmed chocolate almond milk with some dark chocolate-covered pretzels. My nail polish matches my beverage! (Butter London Champers).

Congratulations on completing your thesis - what an amazing accomplishment! 

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply! I've been sick! 😞

Thank you so much!

Yummmmm! I love all the pics!

And kudos for matching your nail polish to your drink! It's alllllll in the details!

Haha, thank you! It was a happy accident.

Mmmm this all looks so delicious!! But I must know...what were the weird Mt. Dew flavors?

testing