cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

You didn't invite me... But, I'm coming over right this moment, I don't care!!! YUM!

@lyravega, you get your butt over here right now for some pork butt ! You hear?

Coming! Beam me up, Scotty!

upload_3435100751822302206.gif

@DiVWA

Hello! My spiralizer has struck again! 😉 Today I made stir-fried chicken with Romanseco broccoli, with carrot and broccoli noodles mixed in.

chick-broc-carrot-noodles-8-8-2016bEDIT.jpg

chick-broc-carrot-noodles-8-8-2016aEDIT.jpg

it looks to me like a spiralizer is a good investment I've been pondering getting one for a while now.  

This one looks good, too!

Newest experiment - cauliflower "potato" salad. This is so good, straight to regular menu it goes! 🙂 Yum!

caulisalad.jpg

caulisalad2.jpg

This looks yummy although I like my potato salad with vinaigrette instead of mayo.

That's no mayo, @DiVWA . I don't make any kind of potato salad with mayo. I like it with sour cream the best. Yogurt and/or sour cream. And other stuff added in, as well, of course. It is very rich and decadent that way. But, no mayo. It's yellowish ( if that's what threw you off ) because of turmeric and some yellow mustard ( very little ).

Hello there! Tonight I made broccoli "noodles" with my vegetable spiralizer. This dish had some crisp bacon in it and was flavored with EVOO, lemon juice/zest, slivered garlic and some parmesan cheese.

broc-noodles-8-4-2016EDIT.jpg

Wow this looks soooo good. I have to buy one of thos veggie spirilizars! Yum!

Oh my, I could have some of that, even though I don't even like broccoli! Looks so yummy!

We found that the noodles didn't taste as much like broccoli as the flowerettes. Not sure why that is...

@DiVWA did you use a regular spiralizer or one of those smaller handheld tools?

@wheeeee, I used a counter-top type but store it in its original box and keep it in a pantry out of sight. The brand I use is Paderno and I bought its Basic model in 2012. I see on Amazon that they still have this model, which is a 3-blade one. Besides the Paderno spiralizer brand coming up when I do a search on Amazon for it, apparently another company's model (Palermo) comes up too, but from reading the Q&As, that model is possibly a cheaper plastic and has cleverly branded its name to be quite similar to the Paderno one; but that model is a 5-blade one and has many reviews so judge which you prefer based on features and reviews.

I recently checked out of library a book called "Inspiralized" that I think is helpful in using this gadget better. It not only has recipes, but a table that tells you what type of blade to use on various veggies and how long to cook those veggies after they've been spiralized. The broccoli noodle dish I made above was based on a recipe in the book.

@DiVWA

That is too funny about the Palermo!  

I also have a Paderno from Amazon and it works quite well.  I mostly do zoodles and when they have the big fat ones at the store I spiralized them. 

I know Ali's website.  It is great!

I also go to the library twice a month and have been on the Waitlist since February for Ali's book. I was spot #11.  I just checked and it looks like I am NEXT! Yipeeeee!

Inspiralized : turn vegetables into healthy, creative, satisfying meals
Maffucci, Ali

Pending

HCPL  2/3/17

Photos of my 'Inspiralized' creations coming soon....Stay tuned!

What were some of the better recipes and worst?  I know she likes to spiralize everything. 

@wheeeee, I don't recall which recipes I copied from the book but I made sure to copy her tables with all the veggies and cooking times. (A suggestion if you copy any recipes is to copy her page that describes which blade is which, and then cut out that blade description and make sure it shows somewhere on the recipe page you're copying.)

She does describe method of making buns from the noodles, which I want to try.

Sorry I can't recall which ones I copied. I filed them away so can't pull them out. Some of them seemed rather obvious, so I concentrated on ones that were more unique.

@DiVWA

thank you!  I am officially off the waitlist and can go pick up the book this week!  This convo was perfect timing. ;')

Intriguing, very intriguing...

( It's because of bacon, well of course. Bacon makes everything better. 😉

I really want to try the veggie noodles. I haven't seen the contraptions that make them, but I wasn't searching too hard either. Where did you get yours?

yep, the Paderno on Amazon and it is not an culinary expensive tool. @jen143xo

1 Reply
testing