cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

I don't have advice, but I came here to empathize with you on #1.  I live in the country, so I don't have a Whole Foods, but I do this about every time I make a salad at home.

One of my favorite easy salads to make is spinach leaves, chicken (we buy a rotisserie chicken just to put on salads and it lasts several days!), broccoli, tomatoes, and carrots.  All healthy until I smother it in ranch dressing 😉

Anonymous Insider

I typically don't load up on dressing, baby tomatoes or nuts on a build by weight (like Whole Foods). Those increase the price when more often than not it would be cheaper to buy a bag on the side and then add the item. I usually go wedge style recipe of chopped tomato, bacon, and maybe some carrot.

For example, at Target it is 2.25 to buy almost a pound of sliced apples. They sell a quarter bag's worth with a cup of peanut butter for 1.99. If it weren't for the fact I couldn't eat the pound of apple in one go, I wouldn't buy the cup with the peanut butter.  I'm paying the premium for getting the peanut butter and not having to explain to my husband why there is half a bag of conventional apples in the house (because Target charges a rip off price for organic apples that are tiny and mostly core instead of flesh).

You guys just reminded me that I didn't take out anything for dinner. Whoops!

Oh shucks!!!! 😛

we adapted this recipe from a restaurant that we go to quite often.

it's a quinoa chicken kale salad. kind of like a chicken caesar without the caesar dressing 🙂

it's so delicious, great for leftovers and surprisingly filling!

IMG_1287.JPG

Recipe in Spoiler! 🙂

Spoiler

We usually get 3-4 servings out of this. Sorry for the lack of professionalism for this recipe we kinda just made it up after eating something similiar at a restaurant haha.

1 cup of cooked Quinoa (chilled)

1 - 2 chicken breasts

3 lemons

Kale (I get the bagged kind from Trader Joes and we use half a bag)

Bread Crumbs

Grated Parmesan

Rosemary

Garlic Powder

Pepper

Sea Salt

Garlic Salt

1) Chicken breasts take approx 30 minutes to cook in oven @ 350 degrees. We pressed pepper, garlic salt and rosemary into the chicken breast and covered in foil. Bake the breasts in the oven in the foil making sure it cooks in the juices. After chicken is cooked through, just shred it and leave it out to chill. you can also use a roasted chicken if you want to skip the cooking step!

2) Cook quinoa and keep chilled. 

3) Dressing: I juice 3 lemons usually and then just eyeball about 2-3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin olive oil. I then just eyeball the pepper and garlic powder to taste, I like to add more pepper it gives the salad a little bit of a kick. Sometimes I sprinkle in a bit of sea salt - it's really just preference when it comes to taste but should be tangy.

4) I then combine the kale, quinoa, chicken together in a huge mixing bowl and mix in the dressing.

5) lastly just sprinkle breadcrumb and parmesan on top.

let me know if you try it out! 

This looks like something right up my alley! Do you mind sharing how you made it? Any special dressing or sauce?

I can PM you the recipe it's super easy!!! the dressing is pretty much just fresh lemon juice, olive oil, pepper and garlic powder 🙂 

Me too, if you don't mind?!

Of course 🙂 

Feel free to post the recipe itself here in the group! We love recipes and photos here equally as much. 😄

oh of course didn't think about that 🙂 will do now in a spoiler tag hehe 

Thank you! ^_^

I love how the chicken is prepared in this!

Yum yum yum! The chicken and kale look super hearty!

Last night's dinner (which carried over into today's lunch due to leftovers):

-Lamb loin chops

-Pistachio and parmesan encrusted asparagus

For the asparagus, have spears cleaned and drizzled with olive oil, bit of sea salt and black pepper, then top with shredded parmesan (go a little or a lot, I ended up with more cheese than I intended until I realized you can never have too much cheese) and crumbled pistachios (I shell and keep a bunch ground up on hand to use for this and to add into breading mixes). Bake at 375 for 15 mins.

For the lamb loin, I kicked some garlic butter into a pan (made a fresh mini batch last night and my kitchen smells glorious!) on medium/high heat, lightly dusted the lamb loin chops with some whole wheat flour, onion powder, and Montreal Steak seasoning (just because it has such a good mix of what I would normally use so it saves digging out too many spices/seasonings). Once the pan and butter is hot, seared each side for about 3-4 minutes, flipped, and seared for another 3-4 minutes. 

Tonight I'm doing a tuna melt casserole.

Ohhhh I just found this thread!! I LOVE to cook and my instagram feed is mostly cooking posts (plus posts of my kitties haha). I'm going to have to remember to post here too!!

My cooking philosophy is to cook and eat what I love. I'll eat the fatty bits of a good rib eye, the skin off chicken wings and drumsticks, and lots of lots of pasta... the key to maintaining a healthy diet for me is to do everything in moderation (so no rib eye every night), and cook with natural whole foods.

If I can make it at home, I will do that rather than buy it from the grocery store. Even things like tomato sauce for pizza (I also make my pizza dough from scratch) I will make it from scratch whenever I can--the con to this is sometimes it comes out a bit too watery for pizza. I still have yet to tackle pasta making--I wish I had the time and equipment!

Here's a recent dinner. Spaghetti alle Vongole, which is just spaghetti with clams. Less than 10 ingredients... the most processed things in here are the spaghetti and the freshly shredded cheese that I added just before serving. Everything else is just fresh whole foods!

Spaghetti alle Vongole

Yessss.

woweee looks so delicious!!!!! 😄 

That is just a gorgeous bowl for the eyes an the stomach (I'm sure!), and I'm a lover of clams/seafood!

Happy to have you join in this deliciously tempting thread, there have been so many pictures shared and recipes too! Your philosophy is one I share in as well, can't wait to see what more you cook up!

Singapore kinda noodles tonight. We had some leftover vermicelli, and grilled chicken drumsticks... soooo.... it was crystal clear to me what needs to be done. 😄 I looooooove Singapore noodles! I'm absolutely crazy about them. I added a little bit of this, and a little bit of that, and the result was fantastically delish! Even better than the real thing, dare I say. 😉 ( gotta remember exactly what I've done for future endeavours ! )

Singapore Noodles.jpg

Bell peppers??

Don't do this to me woman!  That is why I rarely visit this hread.  Because you guys are bad people.

*Lyra, please let me visit for dinner.  I will bring cake and wine.  *

"Singapore kinda noodles" <-----best description I've heard in a long time! 

Are those pieces of squash?

3 Replies
testing