cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

😄

Squash?! Pffffffffft! Nope, that's yellow bell pepper, chopped into smaller pieces. I love bell peppers ( green are my fave ) !!! I put them in everything. Love munching on them just like that, without anything else needed, too. 🙂

This is a fattier meal than we usually have but what the heck. This is Siu Yoke (crispy roast pork belly) with broccolini, tomato slices and black grape garnish.

Plated:

siuyoke-5-31-2015bEDIT - Copy.jpg

Fresh out of the oven:

siuyoke-5-31-2015aEDIT - Copy.jpg

This is so wrong.  Pork belly is the food of the gods.  I can't even...somebody help me.  Pleeaaseee.......

This looks delish 🙂 though I can't never ever touch fat. 😞

Fat is where it's at!

Oh. my. fatness!!! I love fat anything, but this... I wish I could just reach out through my screen and grab it all to myself!!! Mine, mine, mine, all mine! 😄

May I ask for the recipe if it's not to much of a bother, pretty please?

Siu yoke is soooo delicious!!! ^_^ The crispy parts are always my favorite!

I am currently obsessed with this coconut curry noodle dish I have been making this month (just made it again tonight -- second time in the last seven days, and at least the fourth time in the last month). It's my new favorite thing, might even become my annual birthday dinner. It's so simple and relatively quick to make with only minimal ingredients required, and it is so incredibly delicious. I am about to write it all up with exactly what I do and with comments and asides so that I can send it to my brother, and I would be more than happy to post it here as well. This is adapted from a recipe by my favorite food52 community contributor, thirschfeld. I fully trust this man in the kitchen.

image.jpg

This looks amazing! Like it was straight out of a cookbook! Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to try it sometime soon!

😄 Glad I could help! I'm happy to enable good eating!

Here it is! I hope everything is in there; it's hard to remember every step when I'm not actively making it! Please feel free to ask any questions for additional clarification or tell me if I missed something obvious (or even something not-so-obvious). Oh, and when you try it: Take a picture and tell me how it is! Thanks!

Spoiler

Coconut Curry Noodle Soup

Serves 2

Adapted from Thai Curry Noodles with Shrimp by thirschfeld on food52.com

(http://food52.com/recipes/9098-thai-curry-noodles-with-shrimp)

FullSizeRender (18).jpg

Notes:

After several mediocre and disappointing attempts at making this last summer, I discovered that the key to really making this recipe well is to use a high quality coconut milk, as the flavor, texture and very performance of the coconut milk is affected by its coconut cream content and other additives. I strongly suggest the AROY-D brand noted in the ingredients list (and shown below in the reference section). Many of the commercially available coconut milks in the US are extremely watered down and include a variety of stabilizers and preservatives; they just don’t perform well in Southeast Asian cooking. The AROY-D coconut milk contains only water and 60% coconut milk (essentially coconut cream), and fully and evenly solidifies when refrigerated – this is a good sign. Quality noodles also make a huge difference; I like King Soba Organic Brown Rice Vermicelli. They are thin mai fun style noodles that actually retain their shape and texture when cooked. Plus, brown rice is healthy (or healthier)! I like this soup with fresh spinach leaves to ensure I eat a well-balanced meal complete with greens and for the texture that they retain when just heated through, but the recipe also works really well with fresh romaine lettuce (or can be made without vegetables if you prefer, but why would you prefer that?).

The broth for this recipe is extremely well balanced as written, but is equally as good without the fish sauce for those who cannot eat seafood (just add a bit more salt to taste if the fish sauce is omitted). Because the meat is cooked separately and then added back in, the dish works well with any type of meat – my favorites are chicken and steamed mussels or clams; but I have also made it with beef, without any meat, and served with Vietnamese pork skewers on top. As written, the broth is not very spicy, so I sometimes like to spice it up with a dash of ancho chili powder (this mild chili powder doesn’t change the flavor very much but adds a slight kick) or with chili-infused oil. As I mentioned, the flavor balance of the broth is very finely-tuned, and any alterations to the ingredients should be made slowly and with intermittent tasting and stirring. It’s okay if the broth tastes a little too salty when it’s done; the plain rice noodles will offset that excess when they are combined, as will the acid of the lime juice.

Ingredients:

• Refined high heat canola oil for cooking
  • 1 boneless/skinless chicken breast, fat removed and sliced thinly
  • Brown rice vermicelli noodles (King Soba Organic Brown Rice Vermicelli)
  • 1 medium shallot, sliced thinly into rounds
  • Flour to coat shallots
  • Sea salt
  • 1 medium garlic clove, sliced thinly
  • 2 tsp red curry paste
  • A dash of cumin
  • A dash of turmeric
  • ½ can (7 fl oz) quality coconut milk (AROY-D)
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce – I use coconut aminos because I am soy intolerant)
  • A dash or two of fish sauce (optional/add to taste)
  • 1 generous tsp dark brown sugar
  • ½ lime, cut into two equal wedges
  • 1 green onion, washed and sliced into rounds
  • 1 small bunch fresh spinach, washed and roughly chopped (or romaine lettuce)

Instructions:

1. Cook sliced chicken in a bit of canola oil in a frying pan. Drain extra oil and water, set chicken aside.
  2. Boil noodles according to package instructions, enough for a small serving in the bottom of each bowl. Drain, divide among bowls, set aside. (I do steps 1 & 2 at the same time first and then reuse the same pans for 3 & 4.)
  3. Toss shallots in flour and salt until fully coated. Fry on medium-high heat in canola oil until just browned and crispy – keep an eye on these and turn regularly to avoid burning. Drain oil, transfer to a dish lined with paper to absorb excess oil, sprinkle with more salt and set aside.
  4. Heat canola oil in saucepan just below medium heat. Add garlic, curry paste, cumin and turmeric and quickly stir into the oil. This should be just fragrant and sizzling. Add the coconut milk, vegetable broth, aminos, fish sauce and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
  5. Bring just to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes to allow flavors to meld, stirring occasionally. (This is usually when I wash and chop my spinach because there’s a bit of waiting time and I’m bad at prepping everything before I begin cooking.)
  6. Squeeze in juice of ¼ lime, throw in the white parts of the chopped green onion, and add the chicken. Stir and allow to be just heated through – maybe one minute or so.
  7. Divide fresh chopped spinach among bowls, over rice noodles. Spoon out the chicken evenly among bowls. Ladle sauce over.
  8. Garnish with green onions, crispy fried shallots, and serve with 1/8 lime wedge to squeeze over the top.

References:
front_17_154.jpg King-Soba-Organic-Vermicelli-Noodles-619286901019.jpg

Thanks!

Ahhhh, lawrd, this looks and sounds so yummy! Please, do post the recipe here when ready!

Will do! I'm just getting every last detail put in. 🙂

^^^I second the recipe request!

Yesterday's dinner was sushi at a conveyor belt sushi restaurant and tonight I have cod...now sure if I'm going to fry it or bake it.

I love conveyor belt sushi places!! It's always easy for me to go a little crazy at them 😉

<3, Randee

I always go overboard at those places!!

I start grabbing before my butt even touches the seat! Once my family went and we virtually took up all but 3 seats on one side. Later a couple was seated at the last two chairs and I felt so bad for them, we cleaned house on the conveyor before food could even get to the couple. They moved shortly.....my cousins LOVE salmon so needless to say when it came around to our side they grabbed it all. 

We did catch on that we were cleaning out the belt and then made it a point to ease up, but still....poor couple :P.

Anonymous Insider

I'd say if it is breaded to bake it with a marinade on top. If it is just fillets then I'd say fry it.

I ended up frying it, coated them with a wet batter made with tempura starch, cold water, onion powder, and Montreal Steak seasoning. Dipped with malt vinegar!

2 Replies
testing