cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

For dinner we had salmon with asparagus. For the salmon, I broiled it on top of dill pickle slices and sprinkled some dried dill on top of the skin. The salmon was served over a sauce of apricot marmalade, coconut aminos and chili paste.

salmon-pickle-5-19-2015dEDIT - Copy.jpg

You are such a creative cook, DiVWA! How did the salmon taste after being broiled on top of the pickles? I am obsessed with pickles so I would probably like this recipe!

<3, Randee

Thanks Randee! It tasted really good! What got me to try it was I was thinking that dill goes so well with seafood, so why not put the fillet on top of a dill pickle slice and cook it that way? The pickle becomes soft from the heat and the fat of the salmon above it but it holds its shape well.

I love broiling salmon. I always broil it skin side up because that makes the rich healthy fats melt downward into the fillet. Broiling the skin usually makes it brown and crispy and good to eat.

You should definitely try this recipe if you're a pickle lover!

I'm definitely trying this!! I'll let you know how it goes! How long did your broil it for? 

<3, Randee

Assuming the fillet is 1 inch or bit less, I usually broil for about 12 minutes at very most. I use a brush to put some olive oil on all sides too--not sure if this is needed but that's what I do, as I think it may help it brown better and ensures the fillet won't dry out.

The mention of fish skin...drooool

If anyone is a fan of A Bit of Fry & Laurie...remember the marmalade skit??? Your mention of marmalade made me think of it, love these two.

I love all your dishes Diwva. 🙂 

For lunch today I had a salad that had slivered purple kale, red cabbage and radicchio, all massaged with some roasted hazelnut oil. Then added chopped cucumber, some heated and cut-up leftover maple roasted ham, and a bunch of blueberries.

Lately I've been using fruits in my salads, which are a great substitute for tomatoes. The fruit adds a sweetness to the salad and makes every bite satisfying. I always add a protein such as leftover meat or some salmon too. Raw leafy greens need to be massaged with an oil to break them down; this oil is the only "dressing" I use--no vinegar or other thing needs to be added.

If you've been bored with salads lately, try some of my tricks.

blueberry-ham-salad-5-19-2015EDIT - Copy.jpg

For dinner we had a hamburger with a PB&J theme except we used almond butter instead of peanut butter. The jam is homemade strawberry. The side dish is sweet potato hash browns, which I made for the first time last week.

burger-almondbuttjam-5-16-2015dEDIT - Copy.jpg

burger-almondbuttjam-5-16-2015bEDIT - Copy.jpg

I'm Captain Tardy-to-the-Party but this looks amazing.  I would never think to put PB on a burger but now I really want to try it!  

Dear Lord, woman, where do you come up with these ideas? I feel so cooking inferior! (mostly because my husband does most of the cooking) 😉

LOL. This was actually a paleo recipe. I check out lots of recipe books from the library and like skimming through them for ideas. This is actually a pretty relaxing thing for me to do. I make copies of any recipes that seem promising.

Cooking, laundry and gardening are the only "domestic" type things I'm good at. Although I think cooking wise, I'm in my prime. I'm not into the fancy chef things either--just honest, whole foods.

For dinner we had baked "fried" chicken over spicy mango sauce, with steamed green beans with roasted pistachio oil drizzled on top. Small fruit salad consisted of cantaloupe and pitted cherries.

chicken-mango-5-13-2015EDIT - Copy.jpg

Spoiler
Chicken "breading" consisted of some ground-up pork rinds mixed with cashew meal and a touch of dried mint.

Awwww yushhhhh to dem ground up pork rinds!!!!!

One day I will come to visit and you can teach me how to cook all these dishes Divwa 🙂

Not homemade, but pretty good for a frozen pizza! Kale, mushroom and onions paired with mango lemonade!

image.jpg

Today we had Dijon Chicken ( thighs ) with wild forest mushrooms, served over riced cauliflower. Plus, fresh cabbage salad. Very yummy.

Dijon Chicken.jpg

Dijon Chicken 2.jpg

*dives into plate*

Omg, I love all the ingredients in this dish 🙂

For dinner we had some meatloaf with some sauted slivered chard and some sliced mango. The meatloaf had shredded carrots and diced mushrooms in it (along with grass-fed ground beef). This is pretty much the same recipe I used several months ago that had shredded beets in it, but I substituted the beets with carrots.

carrot-meatloaf-5-11-2015aEDIT - Copy.jpg

7 Replies
testing