cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Thank you. 🙂

upload_1573564126773322664.jpg

Cheers to that!

I bet it would be difficult to misplace those glasses. LOL Well, except maybe after drinking the entire contents of them.

The large glasses are for functional purposes should anyone ask...y'know...so that way you never lose them because they're so large and always able to be seen out in the open! 😉

Here goes one of my recent dinner ventures. Normally it's steamed pork spare ribs or pork chops that I'll make when involving pork as the meat, but my bf and I got porkloin at Costco last and I had my first hand at that.

Per usual, I'm a season to taste/smell/personal preference kind of gal so exact measurements aren't really my thing. 

Here goes! (I'll see if I can upload a photo later)

-3 porkloin pieces cut into medallions or bite sized chunks, the size of the pieces before they were cut resembled this:

-5-6 red potatoes, cubed, enough to fill the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish

-Olive oil

-Butter (I used about 2-3 tablespoons)

-Finely chopped garlic

-Onion powder

-Chili powder

-Rosemary

-Oregano

-Black pepper, I love using fresh cracked black pepper

-Salt, I like sea salt 

-Montreal Steak seasoning (optional, it adds a bit more kick because it's a spice blend)

*Preheat oven to 375

1. With the potatos cubed and in the baking dish, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle on rosemary, salt, pepper, onion powder, and chili powder and mix well (I tossed it all together with my hands)

2. Drizzle a little olive oil onto pork medallions and rub in salt, pepper, oregano, and rosemary

3. Melt butter down in a pan on the stove over medium-high heat, add in garlic to begin a roast. Once butter is melted down, lightly sear the pork medallions on both sides, remove from stove and add on top of potatoes

4. Set pan in oven to bake for 45-55 minutes

5. Once finished baking, remove from oven, let cool a bit, serve...eat...enjoy..devour...promptly enjoy food coma after!

I did have a it of honey water that I would drizzle over the pork while it was baking from time to time (did this maybe 3 or 4 times while it was in the oven) to ensure it wouldn't dry out and to add a very subtle sweetness to the pork without also drenching the potatoes.

This recipe can obviously be edited based on spices you like or even adding things like pearl onions or cut up carrots as well (I was out of carrots at the time, if so, I would have added them to the potatoes).

The pork came out very tender and the potatoes were roasted super well!

I need to make this, asap!!

Lylysa, are you da expert of everything :). Big fan here. Oh shoot, we went for poke today but we was so hungry and devoured everything and I totally forgot to take pictures. I will try to take picture if we go there again.

Mmmmm poke! There's been more times than I care to count where I start digging into my food and then go "Crud, should have snapped a pic for the food thread!" 😛

How I feel about everything posted in this thread:

Anonymous Insider

squee, otter! ❤️

It's one of my favorite memes!

Lil sumtin sumtin to cheer me up. I've been having this nasty cold last few days, and today I'm finally starting to feel better. What better way to celebrate, than with something yummy for my tummy. 🙂

White Kommissbrot ( egg whites, dried fruits, nuts, juice and zest of an orange... )

White Kommissbrot.jpg

Why is this not in my mouth?

That just LOOKS like a work of art! I'm reminded of glass mosaics! 

What a treat for the eyes and stomach!

That looks delicious! And it's so beautiful to look at! 😄 

<3, Randee

This looks intriguing -- sort of like a white fruitcake. I'm not into dried fruits except for currants, prunes and cherries, so not sure that I'd like this. I do like egg whites and nuts....

I'm glad you're feeling better today.

Thanks, Diva.

Great thing about this "bread" is that you can make it with any combo of dried fruits and nuts you like. I'm crazy about dried figs, so that is my main ingredient always ( plus walnuts or pecans). The rest of them vary, depending on what I have on hand at the moment. But, my fave combo is: figs, apricots, raisins, cranberries, and walnuts/pecans. Sometimes I have those different kind of mixes of dried fruits, so I use whichever I have at the moment, with figs and nuts. Juice and zest of an orange give it all a very nice extra flavor.

Very easy to make, yet so very delicious. And, I'm not even a fan of sweets. 😛 ( But, I do have my moments. 😉 )

Tonight we had a spicy tomato pork bean stew. Super yummy!

The stew included pastured country style pork ribs, pre-soaked garbanzo and great northern white beans, onions, garlic, dried Arbol chiles, canned fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, dark full-bodied beer, beef broth and fresh rosemary. Baked in oven at 325 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.

pork-bean-stew-2-23-2015bEDIT - Copy.jpg

Mmmm, this really looks yummy! If you tell me what country style pork ribs are, and if I could use something else instead of garbanzo... I need this recipe! LOL!

TY Lyra! Country style pork ribs are just a different cut of pork rib. You can use any pork rib (with or without bone) and this recipe would work. Substitute the garbanzo beans with any other type of pre-soaked bean (except lentil or split pea--you want a bean that can handle being cooked for a while). If you don't want beans at all, use potatoes or any root vegetable. Whatever you use, it has to be able to get along with a spicy tomato sauce.

According to what I found on Internet: "Country-style ribs are either split pork chops from the blade end of the loin, or they're cut from the shoulder closest to the loin. Good eating, but not true ribs to most people."

2 Replies
testing