cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Sauerkraut roasted with smoked and dried pork ribs tonight. This dish is ultra mega giga delicious!

Podvarak.jpg

Oh. My. You make the best dishes. First that beef bourguignon and now this?! I would eat everything covered in sauerkraut. Yes.

Awww, thanks, Gwen. You make me blush....

I feel the same way 'bout kraut! Yes.

STOP IT!!!

I cannot deal with the pork belly and pork ribs.  😞   I hate you all.  I do!  You must believe me.  Yes...I do. (please give me some ribs)

*No worries, this can be solved pretty quickly.  I will pick up smoked bbq ribs (dry rub) tomorrow...all will be okay with the world.  I should do this after my errands...nobody wants to see bbq lips trying on Chanel.*

Nope. Ain't stopping any time soon.

upload_377888449600629580.jpg

upload_6748532976178242287.jpg

Did you have both the kraut and ribs together for roasting? I'd love to know how you seasoned the ribs, I did roasted pork loin pieces this week and have more in my freezer to cook up and would love more recipes and variations!

Yes. After some kraut sauteing ( braising? frying? I'm really not familiar with all the cooking wording in English. ) with spices, garlic, onion... on the stove, you roast them together. No need to season these ribs, they are dried, and smoked, they already have very distinctive flavor/taste. Kraut is what needs to be seasoned. I don't know about using roasted pork loin pieces. That would be a totally different dish, as for this one you need smoked and dried meats. But, you can try it. It should still be good. I'll go through process of frying the kraut in my head, and I'll try to put it down. In English. ( LOL! And - hisssss! ) And, I'll PM it to you later. If that's ok with you?

Oooooo that's good that no additional seasoning is needed for the ribs. I bet the roasting of the kraut and smoked ribs together adds that much more to the flavor!

PM away! I'll be looking forward to it!

Oh, yeah! Those ribs are excellent "seasoning" themselves. They give fantastic flavor to this dish.

I second DiWA. I love sauerkraut. There is a polish dish that I'd been copied for sometimes but don't quite get it right and my Polish friends somehow always made it better. I think it has kraut and sausage. I need to copy this. This looks simple enough that I can do. Am I wrong? 🙂

Technically, it is simple. The "trick" is good kraut ( fully fermented! You can make that yourself, it is simple. It just takes some time fermenting. ), and good, "trustworthy" dried, smoked meat. If those two factors are not there, the whole dish is off. The taste is different. It is just not it.

Also, you need authentic seasoning ( and meats ). And, usually you have to look for those in special ( ethnic ) kind of stores, where they sell this kind of stuff. So, if you're making that Polish dish, ask your friends what kind of seasoning ( and sausages ) they use, and where can you get some. ( Improvisation doesn't really work, as the dish will be totally off. )

I should probably stop posting these ethnic dishes, simply for the reason I use a lot of stuff that most people can't, or don't know where to find. And, if you don't have those specific things, the dish is not it. It is something entirely else. 

I second lylysa. Please don't stop posting. This is a wonderful thread and I learn so much from everybody though I'm still a C-student in cooking department but I love to eat 🙂

No no no, don't stop posting! I think it really encourages folks to break free from typical spices or seasoning methods we're more used to from chain grocery stores!

My friend does a lot of her own pickling/fermenting so I'll have to check in with her. I missed out on partaking in her last batch of kraut. My bf is a big fan of it and though I'm not I'm sure he'd love this recipe. She made her own kim chi and I got a jar to have him test it out and he loved it.

I love kraut! Do you make your own?

I'm crazy about kraut! In any and every form. 🙂

Yes, I usually make my own, but this one is from my brother-in-law. He also makes his own. So, when I'm all out of mine... I borrow some of his. 😄

Chicken fettuccine zukes. If somebody told me ( not even that long ago ) that I'm gonna be eating zucchinis, and actually LOVE them, too... I'd tell them they're nuts. 😄 But, I do. I love zukes. 🙂 I just wish there's a way to prepare them so they don't release so much water once they're in my plate...

Chicken Fettuccine Zukes.jpg

Recipe in the spoiler tag!

Spoiler

Chicken Fettuccine Zukes

2-3 tablespoons butter

10 skinless, boneless chicken thighs - cut into chunks/bite size ( you can use chicken breasts, too. We don't like them, so I always use thighs instead. )

1/4 - 1/2 cup crumbled bacon

24 ounces mushrooms, sliced ( or less. I had one really large packaging of mushrooms, so I put all of it into the dish, because, you know - we love mushrooms! Duh! 🙂 )

6 garlic cloves, minced

salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning

2 cups heavy cream

some chicken broth ( 1/2 - 1 cup )

1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

some cherry tomatoes, halved

In a medium size pot, brown chicken and mushrooms in butter until chicken is cooked through. Add garlic, bacon, and spices. Add heavy cream and chicken broth, and cook until thick, stirring constantly. Sometime during this process, I added some cherry tomatoes because I like the flavor they bring into this meal. Add Parmesan cheese when at desired consistency. Serve over zoodles, and enjoy! 😉

I need this recipe! pretty pleaseeeee

I'll include it in the post later. 😉

maybe try halving the zucchini first (lengthwise) and salt them. Let them sit on paper towel for about half an hour. Then make your zoodles and cook.

This works for eggplant in removing excess moisture. Not sure if it would work for zucchini but it may be worth a try.

Thanks, Diva. I tried that. Many other "tricks", too. But, nothing seems to really work... 

3 Replies
testing