cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

This sounds amazing. Count me in!

I hosted my birthday party on Sunday for my family (aunts and uncles, etc), and I had intended to take photos of everything. Unfortunately that didn't happen because I was so busy and stressed and when I finally finished, I was so hungry that I completely spaced the photo-taking. By the time that I remembered, everything was picked over and not so pretty anymore. So I will list what I made:

Finger tea sandwiches

-egg salad with butter lettuce

-salmon lox with ginger & scallion cream cheese

-avocado with cucumber & fresh mint

Black currant & vanilla bean scones

Strawberry & banana fruit salad

Lemon cream layer cake - my favorite cake; I have perfected this recipe and my family is always requesting it for their birthdays too... It is made with a doctored Betty Crocker cake mix, the frosting is cream cheese and powdered sugar and whipped cream with fresh lemon juice and zest, and it is coated in vanilla crumb topping. Rather labor-intensive, but so very rewarding.

The only thing I managed to do was take a snapshot of my leftover cake slice that I took home (how tragic).

LemonCreamCake.jpg

Happy Belated Birthday, Gwen! That cake looks amazing! It reminds me of these lemon cupcakes I made for my friend for her birthday!

I took a picture! They don't look like any big deal in the picture but they were seriously amazing. They had fresh lemon zest and lemon juice in both the cake and frosting and the frosting was cream cheese! Heart They were such a hit! 

lemon cupcakes.jpg

<3, Randee

Share share share please, Randee!!!????? I'd love a good lemon cake/cupcake recipe!

INGREDIENTS:

Cupcakes:

1 large egg
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk 
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/4 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed if possible)
2 tablespoons lemon zest (or more to taste if you're really into lemon)
2 rounded tablespoons Greek yogurt or sour cream (I used sour cream and it seriously made the cupcakes so moist!) 

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (2 cups minus 2 tablespoons)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt, optional and to taste

Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened (I used Trader Joe's soft spreadable light; don't use light cream cheese if you want thick frosting that you can pipe)
2 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed if possible)
about 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, or as necessary for desired consistency
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon zest, optional for garnishing

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners; set aside. You will likely have batter for a 13th or 14th cupcake....(I personally doubled the recipe because I was making these for a lot of people!)
  2. Cucpakes - In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the first 8 ingredients, through vanilla, until smooth.
  3. Add the flour, baking soda, optional salt, and whisk until just combined; don't overmix.
  4. Using a spoon place about 2 heaping tablespoons of batter per cupcake into each of the 12 cavities so they're solidly 3/4-full. 
  5. Bake cupcakes for about 18 to 19 minutes (I baked the mini loaf for 23 minutes), or until domed, set, pale golden, springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter; don't overbake. Allow cupcakes to cool in pan for about 15 minutes before removing. While cupcakes cool, make the frosting. (I started checking the cupcakes around the 14 minute mark. My oven cooks really fast though!) 
  6. Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting - Combine first 3 ingredients in a large mixing bowl, add about 1 cup confectioners' sugar, and whisk to combine or beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Continue adding sugar until desired frosting consistency is reached. Because I used light cream cheese, the frosting stayed on the runnier side. If you want frosting thick enough to pipe, do not use light cream cheese. If you like your frosting really piled on thick and high, make a double batch.
  7. With a spoon, add 2 to 3 tablespoons frosting to the top of each cupcake and smooth with the back of the spoon if necessary. Optionally transfer frosting to a piping bag and frost the cooled cupcakes. You may have a small amount of frosting left over. It will keep airtight in the refrigerator for up to 1 month. (I just waited for the cupcakes to cool for a few hours and used a butter knife to frost them.)
  8. Optionally, garnish each cupcake with a pinch of lemon zest. Cupcakes will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 3 days. I personally am comfortable storing cream cheese-frosted items at room temp, but if you prefer to store in the fridge, that's fine, but note the fridge will dry cupcakes out much more quickly.

<3, Randee

I'll try and find the recipe for you! 

<3, Randee

Whoohoo! Thank you, Randee, I can' wait!

They are extremely dangerous! 😉 

<3, Randee

LOL....out of all you had, just a cake photo! That looks so good, I looooooove me some lemon cake!

Happy belated!!!

I'm very late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY

That cake looks delicious.

I hope you had a wonderful time and are in store for a fantastic year!

That kitty is seriously so adorable, EvangelineDamon. I love his little feet! 

<3, Randee
Anonymous Insider

You are not late, I think today is actually the day. ^-^

This is what dreams are made of! yum-yum-yum

Even though you have a photo of just one piece of cake, I claim it as MINE !!!!!

Everything you made sounds like it was so delicious! Your cake looks luscious!

Thank you, DiVWA! :3 It's quite an easy recipe although time consuming. I would be happy to share my recipe for those whom I cannot bake one for.

Salmon again tonight, but I broiled it with a sauce to keep it interesting. (We try to eat salmon once or twice a week.)

The sauce was put on the salmon and onion slice and contained sugar-free orange marmalade, coconut aminos, olive oil, fennel pollen, and ground coriander. The salmon was broiled skin side up so the healthy Omega 3 fat would melt down into the fillet; the skin was crispy and yummy.

To complement the slightly sweet sauce, I put ground vanilla on the banana slices.

I drizzled some roasted hazelnut oil on the romanseco (which is a cross between cauliflower and broccoli).

salmon-2-9-2015bEDIT - Copy.jpg

Tonight...

Homemade chicken broth with rice farina+oat bran dumplings ( gluten free re-creation of my mom's wheat semolina dumplings that I absolutely love, and so friggin much!... and miss dearly... Darn you gluten! Why you hate me so much?! ). I like to add some chicken liver into these dumplings when I have some on hand. That makes the dumplings even more yummy.

Supa.jpg

Aaaand, this. 🙂 I love to smother everything with bacon, so, yeah.... YUMMMM! ( I'm crazy 'bout asparagus, too! )

yum.jpg

upload_5878396065219321177.gif

That GIF may be the official GIF of this thread! Mmmmm bacon asparagus!

Agreed..

You should add him to your intro!!

Very yummy looking!

Ohhh, you guys! I've found them pics of my avocado chocolate pudding experiment! Now I only need to find the recipe, as well. 😄 It was something very simple...

Yummy! I need some avocados right meow! ( Btw, I hate avocados. 😄 )

Pudding 2.jpg

Pudding.jpg

13 Replies
testing