cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Lylysa... I think you said you like cauliflower? Have you ever tried this? Looks so good! I don't even like cauliflower other than fermented and riced... but, this just look so yummy! I wonder...

upload_4011836535326565192.jpg

Spoiler

Roasted cauliflower ( whole head )

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 head cauliflower

1½ cups plain Greek yogurt

1 lime, zested and juiced

2 tablespoons chile powder

1 tablespoon cumin

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon curry powder

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400° and lightly grease a small baking sheet with vegetable oil. Set aside.

2. Trim the base of the cauliflower to remove any green leaves and the woody stem.

3. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with the lime zest and juice, chile powder, cumin, garlic powder, curry powder, salt and pepper.

4. Dunk the cauliflower into the bowl and use a brush or your hands to smear the marinade evenly over its surface. (Excess marinade can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three days and used with meat, fish or other veggies.)

5. Place the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the surface is dry and lightly browned, 30 to 40 minutes. The marinade will make a crust on the surface of the cauliflower.

6. Let the cauliflower cool for 10 minutes before cutting it into wedges and serving alongside a big green salad.

Anonymous Insider

Saw this yesterday! 

So yummy!

This does look good.

It's easy to make cauliflower steaks if you carefully cut into the very center of the cauliflower head and make thicker slices (like maybe 1 inch thick). Cut all the way through the base (the part that people usually cut off and discard). The "steak" stays together. Depending on the size of the head, you can usually get at least 3 or 4 nice steaks; as you cut slices farther from the center, the steaks get smaller and the cauliflower begins separating. (At this point, save the steaks that are falling apart and the rest of the head for another meal.) For the larger intact steaks, lightly brush both sides of each steak with oil and then grill or broil. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMY

Diva! That sounds promising, very promising! I'm definitely gonna try this. Thanks!

Maybe I should try something like this next for sneaking some avocados into my food... Looks interesting.

upload_8945912530342525865.jpg

Hmmm. I'm not sure I'd like that much but that's just me.

I do make a mean kale meatball.

ETA: I had some grilled avocado a few months ago. It was quite good.

They do look a tad off putting...maybe something a cat would eat.

.... or throw up (like a hairball). Cat Tongue

That's actually more like it! ha ha

Tsk, tsk... No comment, you two... no comment...

upload_3752076454054844422.gif

Oh noes, just no kale!!! The horror! 😄

Well, it is a good way to get kale into your diet. I like kale a lot but if I made the meatballs for you, I'd probably cut down the amount of kale added to the meatballs by at least half. Or not. I may just try sneaking it to you in my husband's spaghetti sauce and see if you even notice. 😉

I know, and I believe you... If I managed to sneak spinach, zucchini, eggplant and some other "nasties" into our food... Maybe I could do the same with kale. But, I know in this case it would be definitely better if someone else could do it for me... so I don't see kale at all. 😄 Same goes for broccoli. Those two are the worst "offenders" in my world. I. just. CAN"T! 😄

You can see the green bits in the meatballs, so when we had you over for spaghetti, we'd have to either blindfold you or eat by very dim candlelight.

Not a bad idea, Diva. 😉

upload_6239651907022606703.jpg

How romantic....a blindfolded dinner.

Or sort of like a food version of FSOG. Cat Wink

Today is Polenta Friday! I have only two more butternut squashes left (that I bought from TJs) so this polenta project will be ending soon.

Today I substituted ground nutmeg with some dried marjoram and dried basil, and then added about 5-6 ounces of chopped sun-dried tomatoes. These are the sun-dried tomatoes sold in bags (not packed in oil).

polenta-sundriedtoms-1-16-2015aEDIT - Copy.jpg

Mmmm, this looks so good!

We had chili hot dogs "polenta." I drizzle mustard on the bottom of a bowl. Add a cooked nitrate-free all-beef hot dog. Put some chili on top. Add some cut up pickles, sliced pepperoncinis, and some sauerkraut. Lay a square of butternut "polenta" on top.

We used the fried bacon version of the "polenta." Yum. The reason the polenta goes on top instead of underneath is because it's not true polenta or like a bread that could stand up to a bunch of sauce--it would disintegrate underneath the sauce. On top, it's perfect.

Today we had some good ol' goulash. Now, that's friggin delicious! Finger licking good! But, sans those small home made "dumplings" we make and have with goulash where I'm originally from, or some kind of pasta at least... That makes me sad... I love dumplings/pasta with my goulash, it's kinda hard to eat it without those. 😞 But, we're trying to eat low carb right now... 😐 That's no fun. Carbs are my favorite food. So, we just had it with a cabbage salad.

The sauce is nice and thick and "sticky", just as it is supposed to be. Perfection in a plate! 🙂

Goulash.jpg

testing