cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

Tonight we had braised grass-fed beef short ribs, cut in flanken style. This is my first time eating flanken ribs and they were so good! I made a spicy rub and let them sit out for about an hour, then baked them, covered, at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Then I removed from oven, drizzled some honey on them, increased the oven temp to 425 degrees, and put in oven again, uncovered, for 10 more minutes.

I served them with some cauliflower and a glass of red wine.

I forgot to take a photo.

For Lyra:

Tricky Avocado

From the Pretty Bee (Vegan Blog)

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 medium avocado, ripe
  • 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 Tablespoons honey for Paleo diet OR 2 Tablespoons agave nectar for vegans
  • 6 Tablespoons almond milk
  • optional: pistachios or other nut for topping

METHOD
  1. Cut open the avocado and scoop out the pit. Cut it into large chunks and put in the blender.
  2. Add the cocoa, honey or agave, and almond milk. Blend, starting on low and then moving to high speed until it is smooth.
  3. If the avocado is larger, you will need a bit more of each ingredient. If it is too thick, drizzle in a bit more almond milk. Add more cocoa or honey or agave to taste.
  4. Refrigerate the pudding and serve cold. Top with pistachios or other nuts. Enjoy!

Awww, thank you for thinking of me ( and my health 😉 ), ED! That's too sweet... Heart

You know, this could be good. I made something similar before. I'm gonna have to try it...

I bet this is good.

Polenta Friday! Today's polenta has one-pound of uncured bacon in it. Yummy! I think that even Lyravega would like this. The butternut squash has sweetened, as always. I replaced the ground nutmeg with some organic lemon pepper.

polenta-bacon-1-24-2015b - Copy.jpg

That looks seriously delicious, DiVWA! 😄

<3, Randee

Oooooh, Lyra says YUMMMM!!! Not a fan of any kind of squash, but this just looks so good, I'm gonna have to try it...

Yeah, I'd like a square, or two, as well... You know, like a sampler. 😉

I get so excited for your Polenta Fridays!  This looks amazing D.  I'll send you my address for a square or two 😉

I am so curious as to how this taste.

It just looks and sounds so good.

I think I picked out a bad squash when I got mine...it stated "crying" this sappy syrup looking stuff.

They have these cute mini ones at our Farmer's Market.

You keep tempting me with these Polenta Fridays 

They are super good! I make my final one (until fall) next week. So far, we've loved every one that I've made but our favorite are the ones made with fried onion and fried bacon. All are so good. The butternut squash transforms itself so it's slightly sweet and it makes the polenta creamy and very orange.

I was in Columbus yesterday visiting my little nieces and I stopped at a few of my favorite places, Northstar Cafe and Pattycake Vegan Bakery. Northstar has the best veggie burger and Pattycake is soooooo delicious. I ordered a few extra veggie burgers so I can enjoy the awesomeness today! I'm not sure if I'll have dessert tonight, but I will post a pic of the gorgeous slice of mocha cake later!

image.jpg

image.jpg

That vegan burger looks seriously delicious,vegchililover78!

<3, Randee

And the mocha cake! It got a little squished during the drive home, but it was so good. 

image.jpg

give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

please

I agree with Diana this looks awesome!

This looks yumlicious! I love veggie burgers like this. That reminds me that I have a veggie burger recipe book that I haven't used in a while.

And btw, yay to me, because that was the first time I've used a spoiler and I got it right the first shot!

I'm proud of you.

Spoiler
It took me a few tries to figure it out!

I was pretty excited as I am not always the most tech-savvy person going. 😉

I promised to post this last week, but got all caught up in stuff. Lylysa requested the recipe for the jam-filled thumbprint cookies that I had on my holiday cookie tray photo. So, here ya go:

Spoiler
Jozkid's Aunt Anna's Kisses:

1/2 Pound Butter (can use salted or unsalted)
1 C Powdered Confectioners Sugar
2 Egg Yolks
5 Tblsp of Light Cream, Half and Half, or Milk
1 Tsp Vanilla
3 C Flour sifted with 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder

Cream butter with sugar. Add yolks and mix. Add cream and vanilla by spoonful and mix. Add flour/baking powder mixture. Make small balls about the size of a walnut and place about 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Use thumb or index finger to press indent into top of each cookie and then fill indent with scant amount of fruit jam (strawberry or raspberry work well). Bake at 375 degrees for 14 minutes. 

The cookies are done when they turn barely golden. If they brown, they're overdone. Also, they will not spread, so you can fit a lot on the sheet. I think this recipe makes about 4 dozen or so cookies.

Thank you!

testing