cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

I present you....

My Heart

ha ha

Oh!! It looks so yummy! 🙂 haha

I will gladly trade you....

It looks so good.

Hey! we could have teamed up and made grilled cheese and crab sandwiches with tomato soup!!

Yes! or maybe instead of tomato soup we could have made crab bisque to go with the grilled cheese

Plus, I love old black and white song and dance movies so we could put on TCM and eat to our hearts content!

Even better!!!

Both of your suggestions are fantastic!

I can waste many of days watching Busby Berkeley films and Fred & Ginger marathons.

This thread is amazing for all the hunger-inducing pictures. Food P*rn!

I made bruschetta for a quick snack. Good olive oil, yum. 😄

IMG_1159.JPG

Made this yesterday night. Pan fried tofu with gochujang (spicy sweet sauce) and steamed wild-caught bass. 

IMG_0189.JPGIMG_0211.JPG

Also made some kimchi and Nutella banana bread a few days ago!

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0827.jpg

And got the last bits from the organic red chard I grew from last spring. I think it's time to retire the plant. Have any of you attempted to grow your own food as well? 🙂

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0994.jpg

Steamed fish!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your homegrowns look so good! Everything you posted looks delicious, I'm especially salivating at the tofu.

Due to my job, I live in a condo down town so I don't grow my own food now, but I used to when I lived at home with my parents.  My parents plant 1 acre of organic vegetable garden every spring. They have organically grown fruit too: apple, cherry, peach, pear, blueberry, blackberry, grape, strawberry. They have free range chickens, and bees. So eggs, chicken, and honey are all home grown too.  It's awesome!

Anonymous Insider

The University of Hawaii published the Kratky paper. It details how to do hydroponic gardening in one of those large rubbermaid style totes. I'd say the only barrier would be if you have no space for the growing lamp and 3x4 space for the tote. Most things like carrots, sprouted greens and the like are possible. I just find soil annoying for indoor plants, since you're inevitably going to end up with bugs or a spill.

Your parent's place sounds beyond amazing!

Free range chickens and honey....then all of that fresh fruit.

They are truly lucky people and I hope you get to visit them soon.

Just thinking of all of the pies to make....I'm very jealous, but in the most happy-for -you-way possible.

ha ha

Wow, that's amazing! I'm so jealous of all the local organic food you will have access to when you visit your parents. It's definitely becoming a trend to grow some low-maintenance plants in NYC homes as well and I'm glad more people are being more aware of the food they eat. You should definitely consider getting a basil plant (already grown and would go great with your tomato soup haha) or any spices you use regularly; my basil plant is overwhelming me with how much it has grown since I bought it. 😛

It all looks so good!!!

And now, I'm hungry.

Thanks a lot!

I'm looking forward to more food posts from you -- I'm still salivating from your crab post! Seafood is easily my favorite category with lobster taking the crown 🙂

Today was a good day..

We had crab for dinner and now I'm watching Gilda...plus, I didn't even have to use my AK.

Today was a good day.

20141118_181806.jpg

My dad has a friend that goes crabbing and fishing (same guy that gave us that huge chunk of salmon meat.) and he is a wonderful man! (He also kills them and cleans them for us!)

I discovered the easiest way to cook them.

Crab Recipe

Spoiler

After they're cleaned & boiled, rinse them off and start breaking off legs.

I use a pelon (a mortar and pestle? the baton part) and I crack the shells along the edges, removing any smaller shards of shell.

In a large pan (med. heat), I put about 3 to 4 Tbs. of butter and let it out turn golden brown.

Next comes the seasoning. Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning (ingredients are under the Salmon recipe below) goes into the pan, then the crab.

After the crab comes more seasonings like ground ginger powder, ground garlic powder, dried and minced onions, and pepper.

Flip everybody around, making sure to coat everything and turn up the hit a little and add a few Tbs. of water to steam; cover with foil, reduce heat and let steam/simmer for about 10 minutes.

Serve and add the butter/juice/water from the pan to the plates..dip bread in that and be happy.

Haha! Ok Ice Cube! lol

Is that friend of your dad's made of magic?!?!?????!!!!!!

That looks so good! I want seafood now!!! A big ol' boilin' pot o' seafood!

I had fried "rice" except I substitute quinoa for the rice.

OOOOooo, recipe????? What all did you put/add with it?

It's a recipe that I've been making forever--is adapted from the fried rice recipe in an old recipe book called Complete Encyclopedia of Chinese Cooking. I've cut back on all my grains considerably so I substitute quinoa (which isn't technically a grain) for the rice in the recipe. The quinoa holds its shape well so is a great substitute.

There's no accuracy required in this dish at all. It serves about 4 people, depending on how much stuff you put into it. We save leftovers for lunches--the leftovers microwave nicely.

1 cup quinoa, cooked to make about 3-4 cups

3 tablespoons oil (I use red palm oil but any oil will do)

2 large eggs, beaten

1/4 to 3/4 cup diced cooked ham

1-3 tablespoons chopped scallion

2-3 chopped cooked carrots

soy sauce or coconut amino acids, a splash

chopped parsley or cilantro, optional

The recipe is easy in the sense that you pre-cook most of the ingredients (at least, that's the way I make it) and then set things aside until the end. So I cook separately 1 cup of quinoa in 1 1/2 to 2 cups of broth or water (cook covered for 12 minutes; then keep covered for 5 minutes; drain if there's any broth/water remaining). At same time, steam 2-3 carrots, chopped ahead of time or steam whole and then chop after cooked. I sometimes pre-scramble 2 eggs separately, but you can also cook the eggs directly in the pan when you first heat the oil.

So heat the oil in a pan over high heat. Pour in the beaten eggs (if you didn't already cook them ahead of time) and stir fry for about 20 seconds. (If you pre-cooked the eggs, add them later with everything else.) Add the chopped scallions and continue to stir fry for another minute or so. Add the cooked quinoa, ham and carrots and mix well together and stir fry until everything is warmed up. Splash some soy sauce or coconut amino acids over everything. Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro, if using.

Thank you so much for sharing, DiVWA! I've got a huge bag of red quinoa in the pantry and tend to use it mixed in with brown rice but I haven't incorporated it into fried rice or as it's own "fried quinoa" yet, this looks yummy!

testing