cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What's on your plate?

Hello there, ladies and gents!

Keeping in line with all the fun and interactive threads asking about your most recent halls, items you have your eyes on, what you're currently wearing, what's your hair routine, and more, I've decide to branch out and ask:

"What's on your plate?"

The beauty world doesn't just stop at skin care and cosmetics, it also goes hand in hand with your overall health and well-being, so with that, I'm curious to see what we're all chowing down and snacking on be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, or inbetween!

For those with apps that help count calories or to those who just want to keep a log, here's a place to share, possibly find and share some recipes, and even tips on maintaining a balanced diet.

Don't just share food items, but even drinks! I'm a huge fan of tea and at least have a cup of green tea a day (anti-oxidants) and drink plenty of water.

For lunch today, I had:

-Brown rice

-Steamed egg

-Steamed red snapper with green onion, sesame oil, and black pepper

-Gai lan (it's a type of Chinese vegetable/greens)

Now, tell me, Beauty Talk world, what do you have? 😄

Re: What's on your plate?

image.jpg

Baked some whole wheat bread with walnuts and sunflower seeds! 

Anonymous Insider

Wow, I want to put some peanut butter and banana on it. *drool*

Recipe????????? Please oh pretty please????? 

Just spotted this! The recipe is in the spoiler. It's from King Arthur flour's cookbook

Spoiler
Ingredients
  1. 1 plus 1/3 cup lukewarm water
  2. 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast*
  3. 1/2 tsp sugar
  4. 3 tbsp olive oil
  5. 5 tbsp molasses**
  6. 2 cups whole wheat flour
  7. 2 cups white whole wheat flour
  8. 4 tsp vital wheat gluten
  9. 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, chopped
  10. 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
  11. 1 1/2 tsp salt
Instructions
  1. Combine the yeast, sugar, and 1/3 cup lukewarm water in a small cup. Stir to dissolve and let proof for 10 minutes, until foamy.
  2. Combine proofed yeast mixture and remaining ingredients until you have a shaggy dough. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes. This allows the flour to absorb the liquid and makes kneading easier.
  3. Knead the dough until smooth, about 5-10 minutes in a stand mixer. Place in a lightly greased bowl and cover with cling wrap. Let rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
  4. Gently deflate the dough by folding it on itself once or twice. Shape it into a log and place it in a lightly greased 8 1/2" by 4 1/2" bread pan. Cover lightly with greased cling wrap and let rise until it's risen over the edges of the pan by 1" or 2", about 2 hours.
  5. Preheat oven to 350. Bake loaf for 45 minutes, tenting lightly with foil after 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely on a rack before slicing, abut 3 hours.
Notes
  1. *If using instant yeast, you can skip the proofing step
  2. **You can also use maple syrup or honey

I totally have King Arthur flour too! Haha!

I had a modified-Paleo salmon burger with organic celery sticks and organic black grapes. This is "modified" Paleo because Paleo can be super strict about certain foods and I'm not that strict.

To make the burger, stack on your plate:

• 2 slices of organic dill pickle sliced sandwich pickles (Trader Joe's)
  • 1/2 sliced ripe avocado
  • 1 cooked salmon burger* (I use the wild Alaskan salmon burgers from Costco, found in the freezer section)
  • some sliced cooked red onion*
  • squeezed red sriracha sauce (I use the one with the rooster on the bottle)
  • couple spoonfuls of raw fermented sauerkraut (Trader Joe's)

*The frozen salmon burger is sauted for 5 minutes per side in little bit of organic coconut oil. The sliced red onions are cooked in the same pan, so get nicely browned in the total 10 minutes they're in the pan.

If you try this, you won't miss having a bun at all.

I'm not much for pickles or sauerkraut, but my bf is, I'll definitely be sharing this recipe with him and see if it can be made into a meal soon, thank you so much for sharing DiVWA!

I hope your BF likes it. The pickles and sauerkraut are part of the whole taste--just contribute to it--they don't overpower it. It's like how some people put kraut and a bunch of other fixins' on a hot dog. Gives some crunch and slight tang to the dish. Plus, you know that raw fermented kraut (the kind not made with vinegar) has lots of good bacteria for your gut, right?

Yeah, I'm just not much for fermented or picked things, I'm like the one cousin in my family who's not a fan of pickles, kim chi, or relish. When hot dogs are ordered I'm the gal with the plain one (maybe cheese if I'm feeling adventurous :P).

I always tell my bf and my cousins that it's okay though, the fact that I don't eat it means there's more for them! Haha!

I don't care for kim chi myself. Kraut is a bit of an acquired taste; my whole family but me used to eat a bunch of it right out of the jar but I didn't like it. I think the first time I ate it, I was grown up and had some on a hot dog and thought it didn't taste bad. Then didn't have it for years, then got into improving my gut bacteria a couple years ago (after taking some antibiotics and suffering some consequences). I found out then that most of the kraut (and pickles) sold commercially are "dead food," w/o any valuable probiotic type bacteria in them. I did some research and then started making my own kraut. Bubbies is a brand that's raw/fermented, which is good if someone wants to buy it off the shelf. Trader Joe's finally jumped on the bandwagon about 3 months ago.

Kombucha tea is another thing to have for the gut, although the bacteria in that is different from that in kraut.

I don't make my own raw pickles because they're trickier to make, but many people make them w/o any issues.

I have a friend who makes her own kraut and pickles her own goods (she was kind enough to share a batch of kim chi with me so I could give it to my boyfriend)!

My bf's grandma used to make her own kraut so he grew up eating it, we go to this local New York-style deli that makes a Reuben that he just loves because they don't skimp on it. 

Brussels sprout, wheat berry, and cranberry salad! It's been so cold here that I've been dying for fall foods. This had an apple cider and cinnamon dressing. So so good!

upload_6589012457929783144.jpg

That looks amazing!  I love Brussels sprouts.  It's a very fall-y meal 🙂

Please pass me a plate!

Last night my bf whipped up some yummy soba noodle stir-fry with chicken, mushrooms, and bok choy!

I must have been hungrier than I thought because I downed my bowl quicker than normal!

Also, I'm saddened the cream of chicken and wild rice soup at Panera has changed. 😞 It's not creamy and thick anymore, it's all brothy.

Anonymous Insider

I hate it when places reformulate. 😕 I have a guilty addiction to the minestrone at Olive Garden. If they changed that, I would never visit one ever again. Ever. So Serious. Because I would sooner go to Buca di Beppo for Italian.

I know!!! I thought they gave me chicken noodle at first but nope, there was rice!

Anonymous Insider

I put Wondermade's sugar (not corn syrup) marshmallows in the S'mores flavor in my afternoon tea. mmmm. I also highly recommend their Key Lime marshmallows. They ship super quick and I ❤️ them. I promise it will ruin you for the jet puffed stuff from the supermarket. ^-^

Hold up......KEY LIME!?!

Excuse me while I go to pick up the pieces of my head which just exploded from awesomeness! 

Anonymous Insider

Yes, they are serious awesomeness. I'm trying to convince everyone of this so that they move from a seasonal flavor to permanent. They were supposed to be summer only, but they are sticking around a lot longer than the other flavors... 😉

S'mores (out of box) on left, Key Lime on the right. Their best IMO.

wondermade.JPG

Why can't good be passed through computer monitors?!?!?!??!!!!!

^^^The plight of my existence! 

5 Replies
testing