janinebt

What's in a name?

Hi ladies,

So as many of you may know (or perhaps you don’t) the other mods and I are in the call center and often hear our fellow BAs on the phone. We often have some clients with really unique names call in! Two of my favorites have been Tuesday and Electronica.

I have a lot of friends with really cool names as well! My best friend’s name is Xelha (Shay-la), the poor girl had a pretty hard time growing up…during role call teachers always botched it. There have been a handful of times that people have gotten it right though, which is impressive.

My parents are huge jazz fans and were dead set in naming me Billie after Billie Holiday, but opted to name me after one of their favorite songs instead. I’ll admit that I am a tiny bit bummed that they didn’t go with that, I really like ‘traditional’ boy names for girls…I think it’s cute J.

Do any of your friends or family members have incredibly awesome names? Were you blessed with a really amazing name or does your name have a great story behind it?

Whimsically yours,
Janine
dolceloure

Re: What's in a name?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

My name - Farah - seems simple enough to me, but people have been botching it up my whole life. :-/ They tend to pronounce it "Farrah" like Farrah Fawcett., but the first 'a' is actually an open 'a', like "far." My mom chose that name out b/c she liked Farah Diba, former queen/empress of Iran.

Another problem it's created - apart from being difficult to pronounce - is that I'm *constantly* being mixed up with my sister, whose name is Sarah. The number of typos, mishearing my name, etc, has cause SO much confusion over the years. Our credit history even got mixed together and that was no fun straightening out, lol. So, word of advice, moms-to-be, don't give your kids rhyming names!!! :smileywink:

kimmi1115

My parents came up with my name because they liked it.  Mom had the idea of naming me after her mamaw, Mary Ann, but dad didn't think it was fitting.  They came up with Kimberly, and, although it is common, I don't know many Kimberlys.  I didn't meet another Kimberly until high school! lol.

Lanndan has a unique spelling to his name.  If he doesn't spell it out for people when signing up for stuff or something, people will always spell it Landon.  

nebel

I'm Lauren, named for the fabulous Lauren Bacall!

HMNewbie

Love Lauren Bacall!  She's still so fabulous!

Titian06

I was supposed to be Christine, but my cousin Christine was born 9 months before me, so my parents changed their minds.  My grandmother wanted me to be named Sara Wilhelmina so I could be called Sara Minnie.  I love that name!  (No making fun of Wilhelmina...it's a family name and we are German.)  Instead I ended up with a common name; so common in fact, I went to high school with 9 other girls with the same name!  Thanks, Mom!  Thanks, Dad!  Oh, and it used to be spelled one way.  Now people spell it in various "creative" ways, which means I always have to spell it.

HMNewbie

My mom and dad were sure I was a boy (back then, ultrasounds hadn't even been invented!).  Anyway - surprise!  I was three days old before they heard the song "Wendy" on the radio - "Everyone knows it's Wendy!".  My husband's name is Bas - short for Baskin.  It's a family name and we also gave it to my son. 

beautylovingirl

My friend has two identical twin boys named Jagger and Jet and I love that I think it's so cute for twin boys.

missjr

My own name is pretty common.  My family were Kennedy admirers so when I was born, my godmother named me after Jacqueline Kennedy.

I always vowed that if I had a daughter her name would be Kennedy Jacqueline.

dolceloure

I've always loved the name Jacqueline, and only b/c of Jacqueline Kennedy!

jennypenny1995

Agree.  Jackie Kennedy was the epitome of class and being a lady.  There's actually a great book y'all might want to read called "What Would Jackie Do?".  It's written with input of her closest staff on how they think shed handle things in today's times and even has a list of vendors she used (stationary, etc.). Fun read!

Spyski

My first name is pretty common.

Stefaknee. I added some flair with the spelling just then since its boring. I prefer to be called Steph though. My last name is the unique one, but I can't give that one out :smileytongue:

@janinebt, I went to school with a Tuesday, and Saturday is my best friend! No, really though I did go to school with a girl with snake bite piercings named "Tuesday". lol

jennypenny1995

I know it's cheesy, but I think it'd be cool to be the girl named...wait for it..."Friday".  "TGIF", "My Girl Friday"...all kinds of fun when you hear her name!

janinebt

Haha I'm surprised more people aren't named Friday...it is most people's favorite day of the week!

Whimsically yours,
Janine
jennypenny1995

Janine, THANK YOU!  See, everyone?  I'm not such a dork, am I? Sweet Janine got it!  Adorable and FUN name, IMO!

Spyski

I'm sure there is someone out there with the name Friday. Maybe it can be pronounced like Fre dai

DrWould

My name is Mahin (pronounced "maa-hin") and in school teachers always used to butcher the pronunciation. A lot of times, substitute teachers would just skip over my name just so that they wouldn't have to attempt saying it! :smileysad: I don't think it's that difficult of to say but I haven't met anyone else named Mahin! 

jennypenny1995

My Mom was set on my middle name being "Leigh", but she decided it'd be easier on me to not name me "Sarah Leigh".  Pound cake, anyone?

Yuumei

Sadly my given name is really average and boring but it does kind of fit me at least... my mom was considering naming me after my great great grandmother and then my name would have been Ester :smileyhappy: I definitely like the trend of unique names these days, I think it gives a person some character :smileywink:

janinebt

I've been noticing a trend of 'vintage' names for babies recently. Ester, Constance, Hazel...they're making a big comeback! It's really refreshing :smileyhappy:.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 35 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • kimmi1115
    • jennypenny1995
    • janinebt
    • dolceloure