lyravega

What kind of home, natural remedies do you use to fight cold and flu?

So, 'tis the season of flu and cold ( and all the mutants in between ) again! This flu/cold season I decided to try natural remedies. I'm currently fighting cold, so I drink fresh ginger tea with lemon and raw honey, raw apple cider vinegar and I use turmeric paste I made. And it's working! I also like them because they can be used as a prevention, as well. I know there are so many more natural ways of fighting these nasties, so I'd like to hear about them. Do you use natural remedies? What do you use? What has proven to be the most effective for you? ( Yes, yes, aside from drugs :smileyhappy: ) I am well aware that drugs are faster to take an effect, and I'm not saying if I had some terrible form of flu with high fever and other terrible symptoms I wouldn't take the drugs. I'm just exploring home, natural remedies and would like to hear from other people about what they use to fight cold/flu, and their experience with it.

lyravega

Re: What kind of home, natural remedies do you use to fight cold and flu?

(0) Hearts

I absolutely agree.

kenny

Yes, please. I'm sorry, but misinformation regarding vaccines is a very large pet peeve of mine. Please do some research about how vaccines work. There is a very large quantity of misinformation out there, so please take some time to learn about them.

lyravega

(0) Hearts

I have done the research. I could ask you to do the same. There is a very large quantity of misinformation out there, I couldn't agree more.

bluenun456

Here's why I use:

• 5,000 units of Vitamin D3 every day to keep my immune system high. Sunshine in a bottle!
  • I keep Colloidal Silver Spray in my purse. Silver kills bacteria, it's gentle and totally natural. I spray it in my throat, and even on items that have been used a lot by other people, like arm rests or carts. The one I use has 10ppm of silver per spray. 
  • Zinc & Vit. C lozenges, especially daily at the changing of the seasons. The ones I use now have 23mg of zinc & 1,000mg of C per lozenge.
  • I run a humidifier at night to keep my sinuses and throat from getting dry. Like on an airplane, dryness inhibits our natural drainage system that carries any viruses or bacteria down to the stomach to be flushed out. I keep moisturized and hydrated.

Love your ideas of ACV and turmeric paste! 

starletta8

It's funny that this thread popped up now.

Within the past couple of days, I got super sick.  I'm always the last person to go to the doctor.  Last year I let things go until I got walking pneumonia (oops).

That said, lots of steam, tea, honey, and whiskey- combined with sleep- have soothed my throat a lot and helped me to stop coughing so much.

marydiva

Tea!!! Herbal Tea is wonderful. Also, hot steamy showers relieve congestion like nobody's business. I had an AWFUL cold over the past week (still  battling the tail end of it) and my mom had be take grapeseed oil in a capsule. She says it works for her, but I didn't notice a huge difference.

Advil honestly makes my colds so much less terrible. It might be a drug but it comes from nature!!

And of course, spicy food can clear nasal passages so reach for that chili pepper! :smileyhappy:

makeupmaven

Yep, advil definitely helps with the inflammation (including headache). It's not the first thing I reach for (have been trying turmeric first), but if I know I need it I'll take it!

marydiva

I'll have to look into tumeric! I love my advil bottle, it's right on my dresser! :smileyhappy:

lyravega

(0) Hearts

There's a little bit about turmeric on the next page if you're interested to read about it. Or just google it :smileyhappy:

makeupmaven

Dry brushing and oil pulling doesn't hurt. This supplement helped me a lot:

Nature's Way "SystemWell" Ultimate Immunity.

Have also been drinking a lot of tea, Yogi Tea's Cold Season sampler (was adding coconut oil or apple cider vinegar).

Picked up some herbs from my acupuncturist that have helped knock out the last bit of my cold. Lots of Traditional Chinese Medicine ingredients I haven't heard of, as well as Chrysanthemum...tasted awful but worked well!

Also cuddling with my cat, her purring helped my husband and I to sleep when we were sickest!

lyravega

Hmmm... My dad used to do oil pulling for years, but it haven't done anything for him. He was just stubborn like that, lol, to do it for years, hoping maybe one day it'll help :smileyhappy: But nothing. So I've never actually tried it myself.

Awww, cuddling with the cat! I bet that helps! :smileyhappy:

makeupmaven

I notice my teeth are a lot whiter after oil-pulling, so I'm sticking with it!

kalex

What is "oil pulling" and/or can you direct me to a reputable site for information on it?  I did a quick online search and the sites I clicked on make it sound like a gimmicky sales pitch.

lyravega

"Used in ancient Ayurvedic medicine, oil pulling is an Indian remedy used primarily to enhance oral health and cleanse the body. Thankfully, the process of oil pulling is actually quite simple, harmless, and very inexpensive. Simply take one tablespoon of a pure, organic oil and swish it around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes. Move the oil around your mouth through sipping, sucking, and essentially pulling through your teeth. After rinsing, spit out the oil, thoroughly rinse your mouth out with water, and consume 2-3 glasses of water (purified if possible).

During this process, the oil mixes with the saliva, creating a thin, white liquid. Swishing activates the enzymes, and the enzymes draw toxins out of the blood. More specifically, lipids in the oil help to extract toxins from the saliva of the mouth. As you swish the oil around your mouth, teeth, gums, and tongue, the oil continues to absorb toxins while later turning thick and white. At this point, the oil becomes toxic; this is why spitting the oil out instead of swallowing it is an important last step, as you don’t want to reabsorb the toxins. While you can do this process anytime during the day, it is most beneficial upon rising, before eating or brushing your teeth.

While some individuals have had some success by using oils such as coconut and olive, the most popular and effective oils by far to use for oil pulling are sesame and sunflower.

Oil pulling benefits on an oral level also include:

• Overall strengthening of the teeth and gums and jaws.
  • Prevention of diseases of the gums and mouth, such as cavities and gingivitis.
  • Prevention of overall tooth decay
  • Prevention for bad breath
  • Potential holistic remedy for bleeding gums
  • Prevention of dryness of the lips, mouth and throat.
  • Possible holistic treatment for TMJ and general soreness in the jaw area.

In addition to the benefits of oil pulling surrounding oral health, this ancient therapy also has a number of positive effects on the body. It can help with almost any illness or chronic condition, including:

Mouth & gum disease; stiff joints; allergies; asthma; high blood sugar; constipation; migraines; bronchitis; eczema; heart, kidney, lung diseases; leukemia; arthritis; meningitis; insomnia; menopause (hormonal issues); cancer; AIDS; chronic infections; varicose veins; high blood pressure; diabetes; cracked heels; acne, arthritis; bronchitis; dermatitis; sinusitis; and many more."

I copy/paste this for you from Natural Society web site.

kalex

Help with migraines and acne would be awesome!  

lyravega

(0) Hearts

What helped me to completely get rid of migraines was - quitting gluten! Cutting it completely out of my diet! And migraines ( and a lot of other problems I had ) just ceased to exist!

makeupmaven

I was using coconut oil and ended up picking up some sesame oil in Thailand (read that sesame pulls out more toxins). Rotated coconut oil back in when I was sick since coconut oil is anti-viral. I rinse with ACV after and then brush my teeth. Such a clean feeling! And while I can't yet speak a ton to the long-term benefits (have been doing this for a few months), I do agree with tidbits I've read about the firming/ toning benefits (since your cheeks are puffed out while you do the oil pulling).

kalex

Thanks ladies!  I think I'll start with organic coconut oil since I already have that in my kitchen.  I'll look for sesame oil the next time I'm at Whole Foods.

kalex

Oh my gosh, I really had to fight back my gag reflex when I stuck that spoonful of coconut oil in my mouth.  I hope this gets easier.

Also, my husband thinks I'm a moron.  He says this is the most idiotic thing he's ever heard.  I told him I agreed with him but based on first hand testimony and my own research I'm going to give it a whirl. :smileyhappy:

lyravega

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@Kalex - Lol, that sounds like something my hubbz could think, as well, about oil pulling :smileyvery-happy: Or maybe not. I think he's pretty used to all the "crazy" stuff I do by now :smileyvery-happy:

Yes, I believe it's gonna get easier after awhile. I remember my dad had the same reaction to it, but then after some time, he was doing it like it's nothing. Just give it a good try. It can't hurt :smileywink:

latinadiva

Chicken broth has a lot of great properties for helping battle colds. Also, I can't say this is necessarily "natural" or anything but it's not you taking any medication. Whenever I'm sick, I use a humidifier in my room. It really helps to take away that dry heat in the air. Additionally, everyone is probably going to pounce on me for this once but just figured I would throw it out there...there are actually very few students that show major results in terms of Vitamin C fighting infection. Can Vitamin C help make your cold shorter and less severe? Yes, but with regular supplementation. Popping extra Vitamin C once you are already sick is not actually beneficial. There's obviously no harm in it, but to get the results we all think we get, you would have to take it in quantities that are 4x the daily dosage deemed safe for adults. Again, if you feel like it works for you, knock yourself out I am by no means saying don't pop the extra Vitamin C lol at the end of the day, I love my soup (I have a recipe for one in the crock pot that is SOOOO easy and insanely healthy...super filling and doesn't even contain noodles), I love teas (ones with menthol are my favorite, helps with your nose as you sip but doesn't taste like vicks haha), hot baths/heating pads for body aches and plenty of sleep! I always joke that I love to eat sushi when I'm sick too....got the ginger, got the wasabi to clear my nose and the soup with plenty of antioxidants! haha Aka a horrible excuse for me to eat more of it... 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 69 replies
  • 83 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig
    • arielaaaaaaaa