lyravega

What kind of home, natural remedies do you use to fight cold and flu?

So, 'tis the season of flu and cold ( and all the mutants in between ) again! This flu/cold season I decided to try natural remedies. I'm currently fighting cold, so I drink fresh ginger tea with lemon and raw honey, raw apple cider vinegar and I use turmeric paste I made. And it's working! I also like them because they can be used as a prevention, as well. I know there are so many more natural ways of fighting these nasties, so I'd like to hear about them. Do you use natural remedies? What do you use? What has proven to be the most effective for you? ( Yes, yes, aside from drugs :smileyhappy: ) I am well aware that drugs are faster to take an effect, and I'm not saying if I had some terrible form of flu with high fever and other terrible symptoms I wouldn't take the drugs. I'm just exploring home, natural remedies and would like to hear from other people about what they use to fight cold/flu, and their experience with it.

lyravega

Re: What kind of home, natural remedies do you use to fight cold and flu?

(0) Hearts

I love chicken broth ( homemade of course )! I always have it in the freezer for cooking, and for sipping a hot cup of it from time to time! :smileyhappy:

knadala

Hot water, lemon juice, a little bit of white sugar.

Honey and hot tea.

Chicken porridge : rice, water, chicken knorr cube, shreded white meat chicken. (my rice cooker has porridge option so I just toss it in there)

Pineapple slices season with spicy powder ( from instant noodle packets); I realize it sounds insane but there are some benefits; tastes surprisingly yummy, pineapple has vitamin C and cleans out your insides, the spicy powder clears your nasal and throat passages. 

Corrina777

My choir director has me drinking noni juice now as a preventative (he told me I'm not allowed to get sick this year). I also do many of the things already listed- zinc, vitamin C, apple cider vinegar, ginger tea, etc.  

carolang

(0) Hearts

Ah nonijuijuice I juice! I was in Honduras a few months back where it grows and was taught about its benefits by local farmers. You can also find noni tea out there too - good stuff!

mberteig

At the first sign of a cold, start taking vitamin C and zinc tablets.  Definitely cuts down on the duration and the severity.

Hot lemonade - hot water, lemon juice, and honey.

Chicken soup!

Lots of sleep.

lyravega

Lots of sleep.... mmmm.... I like that one the best! :smileyhappy:

veronika23

I second that!

roxystar4

Echinacea tea  (my last tea had elderberry in it too)

gargle with sea salt and vinegar daily

neti pot

Emergen-C packets

fresh ginger squeezed into boiling water with fresh lemon

tumeric capsules

lots of water

BeautyBee92

Well maybe not so much a "remedy", but I enjoy a glass of orange juice in the morning. It's delicious and refreshing and loaded with vitamin C, which is great if you want to keep healthy. When I'm sick I also enjoy drinking hot citrus teas (lemon is a fav!), since you also get a little vitamin C boost and it's soothing to the throat. I also like to have soups and salads when I'm sick. I think it helps to eat healthy and don't overwork yourself if you want to speed up the healing process <3

Titian06

Vitamin C all year long.  Ginger tea along with a lot of liquids if I'm actually ill or beginning to feel ill.

SydBristow

I buy elderberry juice, if I catch it early enough it works like a charm! 

jellybean917

What is elderberry juice like? Does it taste good?

lyravega

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

If it tastes anything like elderflower syrup ( which is diluted with water/sparkling water and used as a drink ) then it's gotta be tasty! I LOVE elderflower juice! It's friggin delicious! We used to make it back home. Now I can't even find elderberries to make some elderberry syrup which I heard is good for a prevention and boosting immune system, and/or treating cold, flu, cough... And yes, you only use dark ( ripened ) elderberries, black or dark blue ones ( uncooked berries may cause nausea and vomiting, though, so they need to be cooked!!! ). The red elderberries (unripened fruit of elderberries ) are toxic to humans, but they are not fatal.

daisydaisies

It tastes great, but I can't really describe it except to say it tastes like purple berries. Maybe SydBristow has a better way to describe it! I make my own (from the purple elderberries, not the red ones - I think the red ones are poisonous to humans), so it might be a bit different from the juice you can buy. It's especially great with some sparkling water - tastes great and also the bubbles help with a sore throat.

arielaaaaaaaa

I agree with Janine!! If i feel like i'm getting sick, I go straight to Jamba Juice and get a Cold buster!!! 

missfawnie

At Whole Foods, you can find some Manuka Honey with Bee Venom (they also have one without Bee Venom). This honey is a tad on the extensive side, but I have found that it is amazing for sore throats.

Whenever I have a sore throat (which seems to be all I ever catch), I usually just pour a large glass of orange juice, grab a teaspoon of the honey, and stick it in my juice. As I drink the juice, I get a little bit of the honey. Then, I just lick off whatever is still left on the spoon afterwards.

I do this mostly because it's a great way to get my Vitamin C (which is key when sick) with the honey, but also because the honey can taste rather... well, gross. I find that if I leave it in the orange juice, though, it'll soak up the flavor of the juice, so it's easier to eat by itself once the juice is all gone. 

carolang

I also use fresh ginger, lemon, and honey. I will have to read up on the tumeric paste. The only thing though that has noticeably delayed or prevented a cold from forming for me is taking a multivitamin. I generally am pretty slacker about taking vitamins but if I feel that roughness starting in the back of my throat and am diligent about my vitamins and getting proper sleep, it doesn't develop. I also love those naked and odwalla drinks however I know they are loaded with sugar... sigh. Good question!

lyravega

[ Edited ]

Turmeric is a wonder of nature! It has many medicinal properties. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, may help treat a number of illnesses, and it's also an antioxidant and may help the body get rid of free radicals and to repair cells and cell membranes. Turmeric paste is just some turmeric ( powder ) cooked with water, making it a paste because it's easier to use it as a paste. ( And I think there's something about turmeric being more effective when cooked/heated through, but don't hold me to it  ) You can take a teaspoon full of it ( paste ) as it is and chase it down with some water, or you can add it to a cup of milk ( with some honey or maple syrup if you'd prefer it sweetened  ), warm it up and make some "golden milk" ( it's quite delicious! )... Turmeric can be used in many, many different ways, and for many different things... Also, when taken/used orally, one should add some black pepper to turmeric, because turmeric is not easy to absorb, and if your body can’t absorb it, you can’t benefit from it! Black pepper makes it easier for your body to absorb turmeric. So just add black pepper whenever you use turmeric in cooking or for homemade turmeric remedies ( the ones you take orally ). I also add some black pepper to my turmeric paste, even though original recipe doesn't call for it. Just google "turmeric golden milk recipe", or "turmeric paste remedy recipe" :smileyhappy:

carolang

Thank you!! I am going to try this this year (well hopefully I won't have to!)

lyravega

You are so very welcome! You can use it for a preventive purposes as well, you don't have to wait for flu/cold to struck :smileywink: And it is beneficial in so many other ways, not just to prevent/fight flu and cold. I just have to add, it would be the best if turmeric you use is organic or non-irradiated.

veronika23

Well I don't take meds coz they just don't work so I do the natural things. lol

My fav for cough and loss of voice is equal parts of honey and vinegar, shake well and take as you would regular syrup.

I like teas and sometimes I'll take a shot of gin but not sure if it helps. lol

Plenty of rest and hot liquids. Lots and lots of water.

I also take oregano oil... disgusting but it helps :smileywink:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 69 replies
  • 83 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig