lyravega

What kind of home, natural remedies do you use to fight cold and flu?

So, 'tis the season of flu and cold ( and all the mutants in between ) again! This flu/cold season I decided to try natural remedies. I'm currently fighting cold, so I drink fresh ginger tea with lemon and raw honey, raw apple cider vinegar and I use turmeric paste I made. And it's working! I also like them because they can be used as a prevention, as well. I know there are so many more natural ways of fighting these nasties, so I'd like to hear about them. Do you use natural remedies? What do you use? What has proven to be the most effective for you? ( Yes, yes, aside from drugs :smileyhappy: ) I am well aware that drugs are faster to take an effect, and I'm not saying if I had some terrible form of flu with high fever and other terrible symptoms I wouldn't take the drugs. I'm just exploring home, natural remedies and would like to hear from other people about what they use to fight cold/flu, and their experience with it.

Nicrohr

Re: What kind of home, natural remedies do you use to fight cold and flu?

[ Edited ]

Extra sleep!  Vitamins!  Hot Tea (caff free, grated ginger in hot water, Tulsi Rose Tea, and others) -- tons of it, all the time.  TV show marathons.  Brush and gargle extra to feel better/kill germies.  

I also love sauna (or hot steamy baths).

Home made chix soup or chix broth - just throw a chicken/bones, some onions/carrots/celery/garlic whole or halved -- peels n all, sea salt and spices into your slow cooker so you don't have to "cook" a lot while sick.  Ladle directly into mugs :smileyvery-happy:.

I then put grated ginger, or hot red pepper, or both in the broth I'm drinking to clear my sinuses.

lyravega

(0) Hearts

Extra sleep is my favorite remedy! :smileyvery-happy:

I always have some homemade chicken broth in the freezer because I like to use it in cooking AND to sip it hot from the mug from time to time. YUMMMM!! I'll just have to remember to use it when/if I'm sick as well :smileyhappy: Adding grated ginger and pepper is a nice touch. 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I keep saying one item I really want in our next house (which won't be for at least 5 years) is a sauna in the bathroom, gym area, basement... i don't care, but I want one. So many health benefits from using a sauna! 

LindaDD

At the first sign of illness (scratchy throat, stuffy nose), I make sure to drink a lot of water and get a proper amount of sleep (for me, that means 9 hours, but I think a lot of that is that I wind up getting 6 hours a lot of the time).

So far it's been working well for me, I get sick maybe once every two years, and usually it's something small that lasts for about three days.

When I get sick, again, lots of liquids. Soup, warm water with honey (I heard lemon can be an irritant, so I stopped adding that). Plus a salt water gargle in the mornings to kill the germs in my throat.

Spyski

I've never (knock on wood) have gotten the flu. I swear by drinking a glass of orange juice daily rotating with 100% cranberry juice. 

For colds, warm soup is a must especially when it's homemade!

Haven't really found anything that clears up congested sinuses though besides steam.

Candy357

I take cold eaze which is a great cherry flavored candy. A lot of Vitamin C and orange juice.

Hope you get well soon!

I've never had the flu shot, I am against it, since everytime my mom gets it she gets worse, so I told her not to and for the past 4 years she has been ok and not sick. I dunno everyone is diff.

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]

Flu shot for flu. It only guards you against the most common predicted strains for that year, but it does help. And advil at first signs of getting sick. 

I get terrible sinus infections, there was one year in HS after 3 sinus infections & countless rounds of antibiotics, I actually had an HIV test because they couldn't figure out why I was getting so sick. 

Here's what I do now to help/prevent

- Lots of hand washing! 

- I take a multi vitamin daily, even though I eat a lot of veggies, I may be missing something. 

- Drink lots of water

- At first signs of getting sick I take a zinc supplement every few hours. It only works if you start it at the first signs, once you're sick it doesn't do much

- Increase Vitamin C when feel like getting sick. Don't take mega doses of Vitamin C daily, only when sick. It can cause Kidney problems, if you take too much

- occicilium, every drugstore & super store has their own generic of it now. It's supposed to help fight flu... I think it helps with my sinuses 

- Sinus rinse - I love my neilmed bottle! I'll use it as soon as I get home from flying, after spending a night in the city, being around sick people... 

- Honey Lemon Jelly Tea - My friend makes it with honey from his bees. You dissolve a tablespoon in hot water. It's magic! 

- Homemade soup! When I'm sick I feel like I'm on my death bed, and don't want to do anything... except make soup. I start off with a garlic broth (cloves simmered in water, white wine, some seasoning), lots of fresh herbs (dill, parsley, basil, oregano, paprika- lots of paprika, cracked red pepper), lots of veggies (whatever I have in the fridge... onion, mushroom, tomatoes, corn...) a frozen chicken breast or two. Once the chicken is cooked, I take it out, shredi t & throw it back in. It's usually so packed I don't have room for noodles, which is fine by me. With all the herbs & veggies it's loaded with antioxidants & cold fighting properties. 

- A shot of vodka. It's the Eastern European way... vodka kills everything

lyravega

(0) Hearts

Yes, Eastern European ways... gotta love them :smileyhappy: In my case it's - shot of rakija! Rakija is "cure" for everything where I come from :smileyvery-happy:

makeupmaven

Have been hearing about occicilium, will have to look into it. The Honey Lemon Jelly Tea, soup and vodka all sound great!

I can never really get the hang of the sinus rinse so it just goes to waste. But I figure I should start swimming in a salt water pool more often to help w/ this!

Sinus infections are the absolute worst!

crayzeeRN

Very solid advice :smileyhappy:

clarks18

I get sinus infections quite a few times throughout the year.  They are horrible and when I have them I literally cannot get out of bed for at least a week.  My pediatrician told my mom to give me a glass of hot lemonade.  It helps break up the phlegm and soothe your throat.  Plus I don't like tea so this is a good alternative for people you don't care for tea.  You could also drink it for a cold or the flu.  

makeupmaven

Complete side note but I haven't felt like dancing (or dancing around in my chair at work) for awhile since being sick, but today, these mixes are rocking my world:

Daedelus LIVE in the Boiler Room NYC (on YouTube)

On Soundcloud:

True Romance Mixtape#1 by Larse

Enjoy, maybe this will make you feel better if you like these types of tunes!

rdesigns

I have only had the flu twice in the last 12 years, but I think that taking vitamins, herbs, and minerals on a daily basis really helps as a preventative measure.  The couple of times that I did get sick I took extra Vitamin C, probiotics, raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar, and Zinc.  Sleeping with the humidifier at night seemed to help too.

I have never had a flu shot in my life.

My husband uses a Neti Pot when he gets a cold (yes, it is kind of gross but it seems to work). :-)

bluenun456

oh yeah, the neti pot is wonderful! it knocked out my last sinus infection with no need of antibiotics, which was the norm beforehand.  

I make sure to use previously boiled water (not straight from the tap) plus those pre-measured neti pot salt packets from the drug store. My fave neti pot comes in a blue plastic from Walgreens.  

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

I do love Neti :smileyhappy:, my sinuses are much better than they were 5 years ago so haven't been using lately.  This reminded me to appreciate the improvement, though :smileyvery-happy:.

mpolansky

Honestly your best method is getting the flu shot! Now is the best time to get it before full on flu season hits. Mine was free with insurance. 

It's not the natural method you asked for - but it's really important!

lyravega

(0) Hearts

I've never had a flu shot in my life, and I'm not planning on getting one now. Or ever. I don't even remember when was the last time I had a flu. I do get these annoying ( more then anything else ) colds sometimes, but that's about it. And I know quite a lot of people that had flu shot, and then they had flu anyway. I'm not saying I'm against it, if you feel you need it, go and get it. Just know that the flu shot suppress your immune system, they actually do not immunize but sensitize the body against the virus.

crayzeeRN

Choosing not to get the flu vaccine is always personal, and I would never ask someone to get something they don't agree with. However, a lot of the information you are giving people here is not correct. Please do some research from reputable resources on the flu vaccine (or vaccines in general) before making claims that it gives people the flu or suppresses your immune system- these are myths.

lyravega

(0) Hearts

I never said that the vaccine gave them the flu! I said I know people ( personally ) that got the flu shot, and later on got the flu anyway ( as in - vaccine didn't protect them ). Big difference! Please don't twist my words to make your point. As for your reputable resources, they have told me flu vaccine may or may not work ( among many other things I'm not even gonna go into ). Not good enough for me.

DTalksAll

That is because the vaccine only protects you from the most dominant predicted strains of flu for that year. 

And a cold or sinus infection is not the flu. I hate seeing on FB and talking to people complaining they have the flu, but are going to work, riding the subway, don't have a fever, aches... 

Like the others stated, a little research can go a long way. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 69 replies
  • 83 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig
    • arielaaaaaaaa