Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What is your current profession in life?

Whether you're in school, an aspiring makeup artist, an edgy hairstylist, a stay-at-home-super mom, the 9-5 desk junky, runnning around in your scrubs, or ya just don't know yet...what is your current occupation in life? *If you list school, please share what degree you're working toward* Everybody feel free to list pointers and opinions. This isn't a thread about who is better, what is better, and how it is better. This is about what differences we are making in life 🙂

Re: What is your current profession in life?

LOL

besides the makeup part

Yes I'm planning to go to grad school here to get my PharmD. 

What a nice thread! Up until a few months ago I was a Hairstylist! I love what I do, and I'm good at it, unfortunately people see me and I'm so young they give mesuch a hard time, whether its my co workers or clients. I decided to take some time off! Now I baby sit, help my sister out, cause she's pregnant! I'm going to start college in the fall! I'm super excited! I love learning, I'm fascinated by it! My major is gong to be in chemistry!

Anonymous Insider

I wish I had any talent with hairstyling whatsoever!  You're so lucky 😄

Lol It has it ups and downs. Lately i've gotten really discouraged. I'm looking into doing more esthetician work. 

How cool!! That's a bummer that your peers treated you that way, but even though this is cliche to say... it seems like they are just jealous. You achieved getting a great job at a young age and were good at it! That's so nice of you to help your sister out 🙂 Good luck with school!!

Anonymous Insider

Being a hairstylist sounds like it would be such fun!  My fiance's mom is a hairstylist, and she absolutely loves it.  If you're ever in my neck of the woods, I want to make an appointment! lol.

Aw Thats sweet. It's so fun, Never the same day. I've done some pretty outrageous color corrections. People always give me a good laugh when they tell me their crazy hair stories.

Anonymous Insider

That's awesome.  I've bet you've heard some crazy ones dealing with curly hair.

I hear ya on the young part! I feel so weird sometimes being the youngest at my company (I'm 23), the next person is 29. It will get better every day though, because we're aging! *searches Sephora for anti-aging cream now* haha

I was a nurse until I was in a car accident & injured my wrist badly. Now I'm a work from home Social Media manager. It's fun, but I don't think I could do it forever. My boyfriend & I recently bought a house, once we're done settling & getting all our furniture... I want to go back to school to become a registered Dietician. Probably work from home & do meal plans & private sessions. I'm done with the Hospital life & drama. 

Glad you're okay!! Congrats on the house!! I recently just bought my first house as well!!

Cool thread! I work in cosmetics and I LOVE it. Just like any job, it has its ups and downs but I love all things beauty and have such a passion for it that pretty much nothing can ruin my day 😄

I was working on a bachelor of science in nursing degree, and have completed all the undergrad stuff so halfway there, but I've hit a roadblock and have decided to take some time off and focus on earning some money and getting a life because I'm tired of shoving my nose in a book.

Ouch! Atleast you're alive and well.

So it's true? The hospital life. The drama...

Working from home doing meal plans etc. would be awesome though!

The drama... HA! It's an interesting dynamic, I worked nights at a teaching hospital where everyone basically told the residents what to do. The day staff & management didn't appreciate us, but we had a strong group. Some were lazy, independent, or encouraging.  It's a large hospital & I got to meet a lot of interesting people, shadow in surgeries, and learn a lot. There was a scandal with a Dr. getting a few different nurses pregnant LOL

Oh my! Yuuuup, I don't see myself working in a hospital environment at all. Whoever can stand it, props to ya.

It's great to hear what all of you do when you're not on Beauty Talk and sharing your tips and feedback! 🙂

While I currently work here for Sephora on the Social Media Team, I originally started out in the communications and television fields. After getting a BA in Broadcast Arts I started doing PR work and then worked for the WB network in their entertainment news field. It is SO difficult to get into that business (yet fun when your daily task is to find out the details of a celebrity wedding!) somehow it turned to me doing makeup for the news anchors and I ended up here! 🙂 

I'd love to go back to school again soon and either go into the medical field to work with juvenile diabetes, or continue on with my social media certification. So many options out there but I'm not sure if I can handle another 5+  years of school! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana

I'm currently a law student.  I have my Bachelor's in English with a minor in psychology and I'm halfway through with law school.  I love it.  I wish I could be a student forever!  Although I did have a nightmare last night that I failed out, ah!  They never truly stop!

Congrats on your halfway point! What profession are you looking into after law school?

Thanks!  Well, a lawyer haha!  Hopefully doing civil litigation of some sort.

In reply to @babybear04

I'm one of those 9-5 junkies, although I'm playing hooky right now! Hehe

For the past 3 years I've been an offshore seismic engineering company's marketing director. I know it sounds technical, but I bascially keep the company on a steady growth pattern through marketing, planning, and international relations.

I went to college, and found out it just wasn't for me.

In the long run I think many career choices out there are about your connections, motivation, drive, and networking capabilities. Just depends on what you want in life I guess.

I totally get it.  College is a lot harder than people think.  I contempated leaving school and look for a job, but that didn't go over well with the pops so I've stuck it out.  I did, however, have to switch majors a couple times to find the right fit.  I went from Business to fine arts, then finally made the switch to art ed.  Therefore, I'm going to be in college another year (5th year status) and while I'm not looking forward to it, at least I'm involved in something I actually enjoy!

And I think there's a lot truth when people say that half the time, people end up finding a job in field that is un-related to their major.  I agree with you that a lot of time, career choices depend on things other than college, GPA, etc.  You're spot on about it being what you want in life!

138 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing