Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What is your current profession in life?

Whether you're in school, an aspiring makeup artist, an edgy hairstylist, a stay-at-home-super mom, the 9-5 desk junky, runnning around in your scrubs, or ya just don't know yet...what is your current occupation in life? *If you list school, please share what degree you're working toward* Everybody feel free to list pointers and opinions. This isn't a thread about who is better, what is better, and how it is better. This is about what differences we are making in life 🙂

Re: What is your current profession in life?

I completely and most utterly agree with you on the photography hobby/job. I come from a small town as well outside of New Orleans (45 minute drive). It's tough, and I realized that small towns in America aren't really meant for this coming of age society unless you're in agriculture. I love it so much how you put quotations around the word "models". Haha models aren't models unless they get paid (period). I don't care what people say, when a client comes to me and says they are a model, ok I'm expecting to get some amount of fortune for my work or an exchange/trade off. 

Back in 2006 when I didn't have a full-time job (aka broke as photographer) I went to thrift stores, yard sales, and flea markets for props. It worked out, and met some connections along the way. I'm always up for crazy photography shoots involving explicit forms though, its just getting the right kinda person willing to be in my shoots. Haha 

I really hope you find some connections maybe even through networking. I see the younger me in your post and I only wish the best for you 🙂

Yeah my first job was at Sears Portrait studio back in 2004 ( got it after having my senior portraits taken) then when I got married and moved down to Virginia I worked at Glamour Shots until about 2006 when the store was relocating. I liked working at the studios but it wasn't the type of photography I loved so I bought a camera and started my own around the fall of 2006 as well. 

In Virginia I had alot of connections and great girls to work with that most were willing to pay me if not provided all the props for the shoot. But since moving I only have a few girls like that, ones I know that I will get wonderful images out of even if it's for a trade or free. I'm just so tired of new "models" messaging me all the time saying "I love your work, your amazing and would love to work with you...for trade" and then most of their images are either so so or phone shots (I hate photo shots) It's like really I don't understand at all. 

Yes the thrift stores and stuff are a great idea and I really need to force myself to go up to boise more and check them out. ^_^

Anonymous Insider

Why Boise? Why?!  I guess the only thing north is SEL, Boise is interesting though, there's a little coffee shop I like downtowright at does mochas with dilettante chocolate, it's delicious! I hear you on job hunting in Idaho though, not much opportunity for careers that allow you to advance 😕

My husband is in the Airforce and was stationed here so I didn't really have a choice. All my friends wondered why I was moving there too haha. 

Recently received Masters in Public health. I also just received my certification in public health I am currently studying for the Registered Environmental Health Sanitarian Exam. I was in the Army before my Masters as a medical service officer. I am not sure if I want to return to the military or work for the government but God has blessed me to be in a career field that I really love.

Wow, I have to say I'm really impressed!  I think a lot of people struggle to find something that they're passionate about, and it looks like you've definitely found your calling.  Congratulations on your recent degree/certification too.

I'm a stay home mom and take care of my 2 year old son. It is the hardest job I have ever done (being "on-call" 24-7).

Anonymous Insider

Amen sista! I used to think that I had it hard until I had a child. Put's other jobs to shame. 

Anonymous Insider

I work as a nanny for an adorable 10 month old girl 🙂 I've always worked with kids & i love it...but if I could do anything else it'd be baking / decorating cakes and cupcakes 🙂

I always wanted to be a Nanny growing up ! Luckily I had kids of my own lol. Baking is always fun too , especially when the kiddos are around . 

even though I seriously think I was born to be a mom I still have a strong love for math. I'm currently a stay at home mom to a beautiful daughter named, Aniston Paige who will be 3 on thanksgiving. She is my world! But before her, I was a accountant at a aerospace company in Texas. I love math, I love accounting. Something about getting to the bottom figure drives me, plus numbers never lie. death and taxes huh?! I don't regret staying home and caring for her. I'm blessed to have this opportunity. I think raising our children is very important. Their foundation is even more important. As soon as so is ready to go to school and spread her little wings, I plan on going back to numbers. 🙂

I'm a part-time music director at a Methodist church in a small town.  I also teach private piano lessons one day a week.  I have been blessed to be able to work part-time and stay at home with my boys while they were young.  I have a business degree in management with a minor in fashion merchandising.  I considered going to work full-time when the last son went to school.  But where I live, there are no jobs available close by using my degree and I didn't want to be too far away from my boys as I still want to be available for them.  I may pursue my dream job (working at Sephora) when the youngest one heads off to college!

I do love my current job and my church family. Because I am seen every Sunday in front of the congregation, looking my best is important!

right now i simply work part-time on the support team at a local macy's! the job itself is pretty monotonous but it gives me a lot of time to be by myself and get some good introspection done. it probably sounds silly to say, but i do adore my job and will hate to have to leave it eventually (hours just aren't cutting it!).

ideally i would really like to be a (fashion) buyer! so i'm planning to go to school to study a combination of financing, merchandising, business management, and i'd like to try to wriggle fashion design in there too. but unfortunately my GAD is pretty sensitive to financial matters so the mere thought of taking out a loan or having debt is enough to worry me to tears for days on end! plus i may be moving to toronto sometime within the next year or two so i don't want to get caught up between the immigration process and the transferring process thing until all those living matters are settled--which will take a while! but i like to look on the bright side and think that with that time i'll probably have a decent sum of money put away solely for my education and i'd have more time to think about my future. i worry a lot that i'm starting way too late and that i'll never have the career or life that i want but my loved ones always remind me that i'm only nineteen! there's plenty of time.

I am a dance teacher and cheer-leading coach, hoping to earn enough $ for cosmetology school

Anonymous Insider

I'm a sophomore in high school and I am aiming to open my own company

Anonymous Insider

I am going on 10 yrs in the military (AF). I think I missed my calling for beauty school. Oh well maybe once i get out in 10 yrs I can go for it. I wasn't into makeup in HS like I am now or else I think I def would have gone to cosmetology school instead.

Thank you for your service and it is never too late to start going back to school .

I'm currently going for my MS in Speech-Language Pathology. Previously I worked in a special needs preschool and at a tuxedo shop.

Anonymous Insider

I work in a chocolate shop. I also have a part-time stock job and I am a student. 

I handle PR,Marketing, and volunteers for a non-profit during the week and on Saturdays I am a airbrush makeup artist.  

I'm one of those running around in scrubs.... an oncology nurse.  

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
testing