Spyski

What is your current profession in life?

Whether you're in school, an aspiring makeup artist, an edgy hairstylist, a stay-at-home-super mom, the 9-5 desk junky, runnning around in your scrubs, or ya just don't know yet...what is your current occupation in life? *If you list school, please share what degree you're working toward* Everybody feel free to list pointers and opinions. This isn't a thread about who is better, what is better, and how it is better. This is about what differences we are making in life :smileyhappy:

wingatprsct

Re: What is your current profession in life?

I'm a part-time music director at a Methodist church in a small town.  I also teach private piano lessons one day a week.  I have been blessed to be able to work part-time and stay at home with my boys while they were young.  I have a business degree in management with a minor in fashion merchandising.  I considered going to work full-time when the last son went to school.  But where I live, there are no jobs available close by using my degree and I didn't want to be too far away from my boys as I still want to be available for them.  I may pursue my dream job (working at Sephora) when the youngest one heads off to college!

I do love my current job and my church family. Because I am seen every Sunday in front of the congregation, looking my best is important!

sautoir

right now i simply work part-time on the support team at a local macy's! the job itself is pretty monotonous but it gives me a lot of time to be by myself and get some good introspection done. it probably sounds silly to say, but i do adore my job and will hate to have to leave it eventually (hours just aren't cutting it!).

ideally i would really like to be a (fashion) buyer! so i'm planning to go to school to study a combination of financing, merchandising, business management, and i'd like to try to wriggle fashion design in there too. but unfortunately my GAD is pretty sensitive to financial matters so the mere thought of taking out a loan or having debt is enough to worry me to tears for days on end! plus i may be moving to toronto sometime within the next year or two so i don't want to get caught up between the immigration process and the transferring process thing until all those living matters are settled--which will take a while! but i like to look on the bright side and think that with that time i'll probably have a decent sum of money put away solely for my education and i'd have more time to think about my future. i worry a lot that i'm starting way too late and that i'll never have the career or life that i want but my loved ones always remind me that i'm only nineteen! there's plenty of time.

onomotopoeia9

I am a dance teacher and cheer-leading coach, hoping to earn enough $ for cosmetology school

mkupgk

I'm a sophomore in high school and I am aiming to open my own company

pinklissamel

[ Edited ]

I am going on 10 yrs in the military (AF). I think I missed my calling for beauty school. Oh well maybe once i get out in 10 yrs I can go for it. I wasn't into makeup in HS like I am now or else I think I def would have gone to cosmetology school instead.

jaimelesmots

I'm currently going for my MS in Speech-Language Pathology. Previously I worked in a special needs preschool and at a tuxedo shop.

midniterae

I work in a chocolate shop. I also have a part-time stock job and I am a student. 

dottiemay1221

[ Edited ]

I handle PR,Marketing, and volunteers for a non-profit during the week and on Saturdays I am a airbrush makeup artist.  

NurseMel

I'm one of those running around in scrubs.... an oncology nurse.  

makeupobesessed

Im a Spanish teacher and have been since graduate school, ten years!  I've always taught high school but I'd like to try middle school...

quenbee

I am currently working from home as an account manager/customer service.

alivingstone

Im currently on maternity leave with you 10.5 month old son, but I go back to work at the end of next month. I'm a speech therapy assistant and I work at a rehab hospital. Before I left I was working with adults (mostly stroke, dementia, brain injury), but I have no idea what I'm going to be doing when I go back! 

garnett

I'm a CPA.  I am being very bad and  sneak over here for a peek between tax returns. 

ContentlyKayKay

(0) Hearts

Oh how cool! I hope once I receive my masters I can test to become a CPA! That's the ultimate goal! Long ways away but eventually!!

carrierose

I'm a former math teacher, now stay-at-home-mom to my 15 month old ball of energy son and pregnant with #2!

crayzeeRN

Congratulations!

makeupmaven

I'm an Assistant Product (Web) Producer for Sephora.com (Clinical Skincare and Hair). Basically I work on setting up product pages/ data that you see on the site!

Have been in the Beauty Industry for most of my adult life, starting at an Origins counter, eventually getting recruited to work for Sephora.com as a Beauty Advisor. Definitely good experience...I'm obsessed with ingredients (was interested in product development for awhile) and now I have more of a tech job, but all that time as a Beauty Advisor has helped me to know the importance of getting the best, most accurate information to our clients!

AmyC

Right now I am a sales associate at Best Buy. in August it will be three years. I have a BS degree in Elementary Education from USF but given the job market and the fact that I have Cerebral Palsy are too things that for me make this occupation quite difficult. I always thought that ever since I was a little girl I wanted to be a teacher since my Mom was an aide. However, I didn't realize how difficult it was going to be (as I really only have use of one limb) until I entered my final internship. But was determined to finish and obtain my degree. Yes, i should have done more research, I struggle a great deal with that but I am determined to find the right path in life. I currently waiting for healthcare reform so I can be out on my own, my medical needs are very great. 2014 will hopefully be my year. I'm 28 and I've been waiting a very, very, long time.

Fabz

(0) Hearts

I'm doing the same degree right now. I have heard about the different lays offs and budget cuts and I'm also worried that I should change my major. What would you recommend?

AmyC

(0) Hearts

@Fabz It's hard to day. The educational field is very difficult right now. You probably have many more options than I. If this is your dream, keep with it. If not, consider looking at other options. If this is what you want, be flexible when you graduate be flexible.

ContentlyKayKay

Great job sticking to your dream and finishing school through the obsticles!! Good luck with the job search, I'll be wishing for a positive 2014 for you as well!! You deserve it!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 125 replies
  • 353 hearts
  • 57 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • AmyC
    • kalex
    • corrin99
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll