Spyski

What is your current profession in life?

Whether you're in school, an aspiring makeup artist, an edgy hairstylist, a stay-at-home-super mom, the 9-5 desk junky, runnning around in your scrubs, or ya just don't know yet...what is your current occupation in life? *If you list school, please share what degree you're working toward* Everybody feel free to list pointers and opinions. This isn't a thread about who is better, what is better, and how it is better. This is about what differences we are making in life :smileyhappy:

AmyC

Re: What is your current profession in life?

(0) Hearts

@ContentlyKayKay Thank you very much for your support! It means alot! I hope so!

krunce

I'm a PhD student in Art History :smileyvery-happy:

yeongji

[ Edited ]

I work as a unit clerk in an emergency department. It can be quite stressful at times, but it is rewarding in the sense that you get to see things most people do not see, and even though I am not there by the bedside saving people, I am part of the process of saving people. A lot of people have the impression that unit clerks just sit there doing nothing, but where I work, we do a lot more than most others do at other emergency departments. We do a lot of stuff that nurses do at other hospitals, so I do take pride in what I do.

catherineu2

I am currently a sales rep for a company that sells industrial steam cleaners & pressure washers.  It's actually a lot more fun than it sounds lol.  I also teach music.

Fabz

I am currently a stay-at-home mom and going to school for Teacher Education. I am not so sure if it's what I want to do anymore though... I have a hard time commiting to a degree so it changes almost every year!

fran11

What a great thread! I work in oncology research at a pharmaceutical company. 

DTalksAll

That's awesome! I wanted to do research, but hate school & didn't want to get a PHD. I have a friend in the program now & there is no way I could stay motivated to complete it. 

fran11

There are so mant different areas within research - MANYof which do not require a Phd. I had no intetest in that much school either! :-)

krunce

Ya I'm totally on board. As a PhD student (though I'm in the Humanities), I can attest to the fact that it's a huge and exhausting time commitment. I think you have to want what you could get out the other end (a research position), but also like being in school, because there are no guarantees and it would be a shame to feel you wasted 3-7 years doing something you really dislike.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm coming from a place of superiority! I constantly debate with myself to re-evaluate my relationship to this degree and how I can be happier in it, but I think I'm a school junkie so at least I have that one in the bag... most of the time...

Spyski

Sounds like that's research intensive! Hope you find a cure!

crayzeeRN

I'm one of those running around in scrubs... ER nurse :smileyhappy:

ContentlyKayKay

(0) Hearts

Oh wow, props to you!! I'm sure you see a lot of intense stuff!

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

Thanks! It is intense, but I love my job and wouldn't change it for the world! :smileyhappy:

alare

I'm a student who's graduating in May!! I'll be graduating with a bachelor's in psychology... but as far as profession goes... I am a part-time developmental therapist. I work with children with cognitive impairments and I love my job!

kalex

Re - Kimmi on CJ degree -

I actually became interested in Criminal Justice while I was working as a Personal Banker.  Every so often I'd catch onto some Fraud but rarely got to do anyting with it.  I loved unraveling the puzzle and hated forwarding what I'd found onto the Fraud dept. and just leaving it with them.  :smileysad:

I initially planned to go into Fraud with degrees and CJ and Finance but I've always loved Psychology.  Degrees in CJ and Psych would be great for careers like Probation or Parole Officer so we'll see where I go with that!

kimmi1115

That is awesome!  And funny, too, because Lanndan is going into business/accounting.  If he decides to go on to his bachelor's after working a while, he said he would probably minor in CJ. It would have been awesome if the Fraud department allowed you to help since you were the one who discovered it.  Without you, they may not have caught it in time.

I've always thought the forensics side of it was really interesting, and not just because of the CSI type shows.  I've read a few forensic books, especially ones on the Body Farm at UT in Knoxville.  

kenny

I'm in my third year at University. I'm majoring in bio and minor in psych. Not sure exactly what I want to do with that...

I'm also a recpetionist at a chiropractic office and I coach softball!

fran11

Good luck! There is so much you can can do with a bio background :-) I felt the same way when I was in school too. You will figure it out as you go! :-)

beautylovingirl

@kimmi1115- You should definitely be a nail tech. I'm sure that you would wiz right through school on that. And I'm the same way I have always got to be doing something I can't stand to just sit still. It drivezz me crazzzy:smileytongue:

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

It's good to know there are others who just simply can't sit still lol.  My fiance calls me a Ferret because of it lol.  The only time I'm still is when I fall asleep on the couch, but I think Ferrets sleep more than I do lol.

Thanks!  There's a beauty school in the same city as the college I'm currently attending, so you never know!

JenBlush

I am a 3rd year full time college student majoring in Bio and i have a part time in a Dental office! Nothing to do with makeup what so ever.. but I love it!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 125 replies
  • 353 hearts
  • 57 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • AmyC
    • kalex
    • corrin99
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll