Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

What is your current profession in life?

Whether you're in school, an aspiring makeup artist, an edgy hairstylist, a stay-at-home-super mom, the 9-5 desk junky, runnning around in your scrubs, or ya just don't know yet...what is your current occupation in life? *If you list school, please share what degree you're working toward* Everybody feel free to list pointers and opinions. This isn't a thread about who is better, what is better, and how it is better. This is about what differences we are making in life 🙂

Re: What is your current profession in life?

Ya I'm totally on board. As a PhD student (though I'm in the Humanities), I can attest to the fact that it's a huge and exhausting time commitment. I think you have to want what you could get out the other end (a research position), but also like being in school, because there are no guarantees and it would be a shame to feel you wasted 3-7 years doing something you really dislike.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm coming from a place of superiority! I constantly debate with myself to re-evaluate my relationship to this degree and how I can be happier in it, but I think I'm a school junkie so at least I have that one in the bag... most of the time...

Sounds like that's research intensive! Hope you find a cure!

I'm one of those running around in scrubs... ER nurse 🙂

Oh wow, props to you!! I'm sure you see a lot of intense stuff!

Thanks! It is intense, but I love my job and wouldn't change it for the world! 🙂

I'm a student who's graduating in May!! I'll be graduating with a bachelor's in psychology... but as far as profession goes... I am a part-time developmental therapist. I work with children with cognitive impairments and I love my job!

Re - Kimmi on CJ degree -

I actually became interested in Criminal Justice while I was working as a Personal Banker.  Every so often I'd catch onto some Fraud but rarely got to do anyting with it.  I loved unraveling the puzzle and hated forwarding what I'd found onto the Fraud dept. and just leaving it with them.  😞

I initially planned to go into Fraud with degrees and CJ and Finance but I've always loved Psychology.  Degrees in CJ and Psych would be great for careers like Probation or Parole Officer so we'll see where I go with that!

Anonymous Insider

That is awesome!  And funny, too, because Lanndan is going into business/accounting.  If he decides to go on to his bachelor's after working a while, he said he would probably minor in CJ. It would have been awesome if the Fraud department allowed you to help since you were the one who discovered it.  Without you, they may not have caught it in time.

I've always thought the forensics side of it was really interesting, and not just because of the CSI type shows.  I've read a few forensic books, especially ones on the Body Farm at UT in Knoxville.  

I'm in my third year at University. I'm majoring in bio and minor in psych. Not sure exactly what I want to do with that...

I'm also a recpetionist at a chiropractic office and I coach softball!

Good luck! There is so much you can can do with a bio background 🙂 I felt the same way when I was in school too. You will figure it out as you go! 🙂

Anonymous Insider

@kimmi1115- You should definitely be a nail tech. I'm sure that you would wiz right through school on that. And I'm the same way I have always got to be doing something I can't stand to just sit still. It drivezz me crazzzy:P

Anonymous Insider

It's good to know there are others who just simply can't sit still lol.  My fiance calls me a Ferret because of it lol.  The only time I'm still is when I fall asleep on the couch, but I think Ferrets sleep more than I do lol.

Thanks!  There's a beauty school in the same city as the college I'm currently attending, so you never know!

I am a 3rd year full time college student majoring in Bio and i have a part time in a Dental office! Nothing to do with makeup what so ever.. but I love it!

Ohhh bio! That was me a few years back! Best of luck! I know it drove me crazy sometimes but was worth it in the end! 🙂

Anonymous Insider

@arielaaaaaaaa- Don't ever let anyone back you into a corner and make you quit what you love doing. Be strong and show them your great and can do just as good as them or even better.

Aw Thanks BeautyLovingGirl. I've tried not to let it get me down, but maybe in a few years i'll have better luck.

Anonymous Insider

Also don't forget that Drrragon,MoreGun and myself are about to be in business...>.<

Anonymous Insider

I'm a office manager/nursing do all in a dermatologist office given the fact I'm trying very hard and have been trying to break away for a very loong time because we have gotten to the point in life where I don't have to work now,but I can't seem to hire anyone that he likes. I've been with them for 12 years almost 13 in June so it's not that easy just to walk away. Not sure how it's gonna end.

This is a cool topic! I'm currently a senior in high school. I graduate on June 23. I am going to college for Accounting and doing the MBA program so I have my Bachelor's and Master's degrees by age 22 instead of 25, 26 or 27. 

I don't want to be an accountant for the rest of my life and sit at a desk from 9-5 working all day everyday. Maybe for a little bit of time. I like to do fun things during the day, move about and socialize with people and work hard at the same time. I can't sit still for long periods of time. It's too difficult. But I do want that MBA degree under my belt though.

Eventually I want to become a licensed MUA and nail tech. I want to start off by freelancing a little bit then if I get the chance to, I want to work for either Sephora or MAC as a MUA ( I love both but I'm leaning more toward Sephora) to build my resume and work my way up. For the nail tech part I would like to do that on my own time. I eventually want to have my own cosmetic company and beauty salon when I'm older.  Maybe based in New York or LA, I don't know.

My parents don't approve of the whole MUA /nail tech/company/salon dream of mine. They have an extreme distaste of it. They're just mad because I don't want to be a doctor like everyone else in my family is.

Thats a really good plan you have. I wish i had just gone to college after graduating, But i was no where near ready to leave, and I had high ambitions and it would take years and years to do what i want to do, So i decided to try Cosmetology, get a good job then college so i have a way to make a living while in school! My parents didn't completely like my plan, My whole family didn't like it! No one in my family has gone to college and i was the smart one who alwasy had A's and did so well, so my parents were alittle upset. But in the end, they love me, and support any decision i make. I'm sure your family will learn to accept your choices.

The only person in my family that supports my dreams is the my uncle who is the elder of my dad's twin brothers. He watched me do my aunt's makeup and nails and loves the ideas I have in my special notebook that I want to do when I become a  MUA. He is a certified hair stylist but he is also a scientist too. I don't get to see him often, maybe once every two or three years but I text him and talk to him on the phone all the time.

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing