ChicDabbler

What does BeautyTalk mean to you?

[ Edited ]

A long long time ago, in a galaxy fa-...well, in Sephora actually, BeautyTalk was just a little place for people to ask beauty questions and get answers. Then it slowly grew into a community with more variety of topics being discussed. Then the atmosphere changed and.......well, I'm not sure what it is anymore. Yes, there will be some degree of disapproval/disappointment coming up, but if you want drama, PM me instead.

The original intent of the forum was a Q&A, which is what I still kind of sees it as, and the reason why I'm not too bothered when people ask similar questions. If I have a penny for every time someone post about how to contour, I would have enough to....buy a pack of Sephora blotting paper. Anyways, just like they have the right to post repetitive questions, you have the right to ignore it, let someone else answer it, or linking it to a previous answer. Because BeautyTalk has been here for a couple of years, there's only so many *really* new questions that people can ask. I believe in giving every newbie a chance, because I remember how terrified and tentative when I made my very first post online in a forum, and everyone have written good posts and bad posts (for all I know, this post/thread could turn out to be a really terrible idea). And also, you don't have to like everyone on this thread, I'm sure there are some that don't like me, and that is fine. It does not make you or me a bad person.

The forum nowadays have kind of shifted away from Q&A to a more chat about beauty and life environment, which I'm fine with, altho it took me a bit to adjust my mentality. However, I'm unsure about hijacking thread and the inside jokes. I have a bit of dry humor and likes being sarcastic sometimes, but usually limit it to people I know. If I see a thread where ppl are poking fun at things, even if I don't agree I let it be instead of being a party pooper (unicorn poop in 3...2...). But if ppl hijack a legit question thread to post inside jokes, well, it seems a bit cliquey to me and kind of brush off/ignoring the original poster. When in doubt, I believe in behaving in a professional manner, but this is not a professional skincare/beauty forum, so I understand if this seems a bit stiff/stuck up. It's just that some threads are like a big party where anything goes, so if I don't agree then I leave, but other threads are more....factual? legit? where such behavior might not be appropriate?....the crossover confuses me. Or maybe I'm just too old (in BT age) since to me, this is like the casual office party, where I have fun but still keep it somewhat professional polite, while some people sees it more like a dorm party, where anything goes?

I don't know, that was not as well written as I wanted at all, but basically to me, BT is a semi-professional environment where people do beauty Q&As along with some get to know each other things. If you want to make a party thread and get naughty, then fine, but if some of the inside jokes end up hijacking other unrelated thread that could've been important to someone, not as cool. But, what is BeautyTalk to you? or rather, what kind of place do you want BeautyTalk to be?

sephoramusthave

Re: What does BeautyTalk mean to you?

Ahhhh I see. I take the cap off completely and just soak my cotton pad using the big opening. I've never even tried to mess with the little opening on the cap. I do have to say though that I like the alcohol free toners more than the astringents but I have dry/sensitive skin. The astringent would be really great if you have oily/combo skin.

Manda

I have pretty sensitive skin so I avoid the astringent ones. :X And thank you for the idea of taking off the cap. I am going to try that.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Yay! I miss seeing you around, c'mon, show me your spotlessly clean empties!

I'm glad you enjoy the blog and comments are always welcomed. It makes me feel less like a crazy person mumbling to myself, lol. My friends think I'm beauty obsessed just cuz I can rattle off a dozen beauty brands name off top of my head, so I have not shown any one (IRL) my skincare/makeup stash........o.O

HUGS!

Manda

Beautytester, I don't think I follow you on your blog. D: Perhaps I should?

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

It's ChicDabbling, you can google it. =)

Mostly skincare stuff.

Manda

I am big into skincare so I will enjoy it. I decided to do my blog on a variety of different things.  Though, I need to review blue plasma and the bees mask.  Man, I have a lot to review. :smileytongue:

sephoramusthave

The thayers toners are HUGE, 12 oz and one bottles last me forever. But I only use it at night. My mom gave me a sample of her origins mega bright toner, she filled up one of those 2.4 travel sized bottles from Target and gave it to me so that is what I'll be using next. I'm almost out of my l'occitane serum and I have the origins mega bright serum ( the big bottle) so its good that I have a toner to match hehe :smileyvery-happy:

Manda

They are huge but they are reasonable in price. I love mine to pieces - even if the rose smell isn't to my liking. I find the rose one more moisturizing though.

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

Yes the prices are fantastic! I try to get them at natural grocers when I can because they are 9 bucks there.

Manda

I get them at my local pharmacy so they are a bit more expensive however, I would prefer to support them.

jellybean917

If posting about llamas and Paula Deen riding things is wrong, then so is all of the other off-topic personal stuff people post. 

I have found this place to be full of delightful and hilarious people that share my love of beauty. I like to think of a lot of these ladies as friends.

We can have everything go strictly back to beauty though, but don't point the finger at people and say their jokes are off-topic if you frequently post non-beauty-related topics.

mafan

I agree, there are plenty of different off topic things that people post, silly, personal, trivial.  I read what I might enjoy and skip the rest.  As long as they live in the off-topic section I think they're just fine and add a fun aspect to the community.

If these types of posts become a replacement for honest feedback for well intentioned questions, then I think we have a problem.  Personally, I see us slipping into maybe having a bit of a problem, but I think generally its well contained and something that I enjoy, too.  And I know I feel like I have friends here -- which is great because I have few other people in my life who could care less about perfume or makeup.  Or give me a good laugh when work is just becoming a bit too much!

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I don't mind the random off-topic thread (and may or may not have saved a few llama pictures for future reference LOVE the llama boy band and the fabulous llama), some may disagree on that, but my only gripe is with thread-jacking, especially those with newcomers, and I don't think I'm changing my mind on that any time soon.

mafan

I'm not changing my mind on threadjacking of newcomers either.  I think it's happened recently because people have had a bit too much winter and we have had a lot of new people with similar questions.  I've seen it happen to different groups before.

I suspect that the people who have let this happen for the most part have thought better of it, and hopefully future silliness will be kept to off-topic threads, etc.  If you don't want to answer the same new question for the Xth time, just skip it.  Someone else will, and life will go on.  Using it as a place to be silly, snippy, or whatever, isn't fair to someone new.  And I don't think any of us would like it if it happened when we had a serious question to ask.

sephoramusthave

Oh man I'm kicking myself now for not taking a picture of the last jar of moisturizer I used up before I threw it away! I know how you like my empties lol ( maybe a empties post on your blog? yay!). I did finish up a toner last night though! I kept the bottle in case I wanted to make a DIY toner but now I'm thinking that I'll just take a pic of it, post it here, and throw it away :smileyvery-happy:

ChicDabbler

LOL. It could be like those punch card thing. If you post 10 comments on my blog, you earn the right to do a guest blog and blog about your empties. Yay empty toner bottle! XD

I've had that Thayer toner in my list forever, but the Etude House toner that I thought was 6oz turned out to be 16oz, and I have an unopened bottle of Dior toner, so it's gonna be a while before I buy toner again, lol.

katie1724

Thank you, mafan. Totally agree. 

anaa

Nicely put jelly.

jojobe

There is an off topic section and I think that if some clean joking fun wants to go on there that is the place. No it does not have a place in other threads unless one of the original posters is a standing member that participates in the jokes. The traveling boxes are kept in the VIB and ROuge threads and if you don't like that sort of thing, by all means, pass it up. There is no professional advice given here other than the Guests, such as the smashbox and personnel brought in by Sephora. There have been traveling boxes before BT even existed and I do not think that they are going anywhere. I am personally not a big fan of the trade threads, as there is better sites to that upon. I think Sephora opening up BT to more people has left us bereft so we are dealing with it the best we can. Beauty talk is a public forum but the kitchen crap is getting old. If you are going to say it's too many funnies, well I can say the same for too many what's your love life, do you ever questions. IT's open to all for anything. If you want an all beauty forum, where that is all that is spoken, start a blog. Then only You can control what you put on.

sparklekai

if llamas are wrong...i don't want to be right!

gingerblack

Yeah I think the jokes and TSB build a sense of community almost. It is nice :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 160 replies
  • 745 hearts
  • 52 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • nikki
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa