ChicDabbler

What does BeautyTalk mean to you?

[ Edited ]

A long long time ago, in a galaxy fa-...well, in Sephora actually, BeautyTalk was just a little place for people to ask beauty questions and get answers. Then it slowly grew into a community with more variety of topics being discussed. Then the atmosphere changed and.......well, I'm not sure what it is anymore. Yes, there will be some degree of disapproval/disappointment coming up, but if you want drama, PM me instead.

The original intent of the forum was a Q&A, which is what I still kind of sees it as, and the reason why I'm not too bothered when people ask similar questions. If I have a penny for every time someone post about how to contour, I would have enough to....buy a pack of Sephora blotting paper. Anyways, just like they have the right to post repetitive questions, you have the right to ignore it, let someone else answer it, or linking it to a previous answer. Because BeautyTalk has been here for a couple of years, there's only so many *really* new questions that people can ask. I believe in giving every newbie a chance, because I remember how terrified and tentative when I made my very first post online in a forum, and everyone have written good posts and bad posts (for all I know, this post/thread could turn out to be a really terrible idea). And also, you don't have to like everyone on this thread, I'm sure there are some that don't like me, and that is fine. It does not make you or me a bad person.

The forum nowadays have kind of shifted away from Q&A to a more chat about beauty and life environment, which I'm fine with, altho it took me a bit to adjust my mentality. However, I'm unsure about hijacking thread and the inside jokes. I have a bit of dry humor and likes being sarcastic sometimes, but usually limit it to people I know. If I see a thread where ppl are poking fun at things, even if I don't agree I let it be instead of being a party pooper (unicorn poop in 3...2...). But if ppl hijack a legit question thread to post inside jokes, well, it seems a bit cliquey to me and kind of brush off/ignoring the original poster. When in doubt, I believe in behaving in a professional manner, but this is not a professional skincare/beauty forum, so I understand if this seems a bit stiff/stuck up. It's just that some threads are like a big party where anything goes, so if I don't agree then I leave, but other threads are more....factual? legit? where such behavior might not be appropriate?....the crossover confuses me. Or maybe I'm just too old (in BT age) since to me, this is like the casual office party, where I have fun but still keep it somewhat professional polite, while some people sees it more like a dorm party, where anything goes?

I don't know, that was not as well written as I wanted at all, but basically to me, BT is a semi-professional environment where people do beauty Q&As along with some get to know each other things. If you want to make a party thread and get naughty, then fine, but if some of the inside jokes end up hijacking other unrelated thread that could've been important to someone, not as cool. But, what is BeautyTalk to you? or rather, what kind of place do you want BeautyTalk to be?

manniface

Re: What does BeautyTalk mean to you?

Also the TSBs defiantly been sales for sephora

jaimelove

definitely! it's gone from talking to people you have something in common with to hanging out with friends. that is always a good change, imo. if i wanted to spend much of my time in a place where i wasn't allowed to laugh or enjoy myself, i'd go back to work and at least get paid for it. as an online community, there SHOULD be a sense of "community" here, otherwise what is the point? i love that there are so many like-minded women (and men?) here who share my love of makeup, doctor who, llamas and paula deen, y'all. 

anaa

I like your mustache.

jaimelove

ahh, thank you :smileyhappy: it was hand made by killahbabe herself! 

jaimelove

paula deen riding llama.jpg

sparklekai

llamas are the new black

Plantgarden

(0) Hearts

Where is the thumbs down button?

jellybean917

If Paula Deen riding this llama is wrong, I don't want to be right.

melde

if only they had done the shadow this would look SO REAL

floridab

Hello all.  I first started coming on here a few years ago and it was a very professional place to learn and ask questions.  I am late to the makeup party as I have just in the past several years started to wear makeup and take really good care of my skin.  Lately I feel the entire BT site has become juvenile and very unprofessional.  I saw some posts from last night about Paula Deen riding various things and I was offended that the mods woulof allow that kind of posts.  I don't care how funny people think those kind of posts are, I don't feel a beauty site is the place for this.  Also, it seems like Beauty Talk is becoming an EBay or amazon site by the number of traveling boxes and trade threads.  I don't want to quit coming on Beauty Talk, but I feel like its fast becoming a very juvenile untasteful site. Sorry if I offended anyone, but this is how I feel..

SydBristow

Traveling boxes and trade threads, in my humble opinion, are a way to share makeup with other ladies on this site and give life to those items that you don't find yourself reaching for anymore, and allow you to try different things.  It has also spared Sephora from a number of returns of used items that would not have been able to be resold, as they were used.  I think that is environmentally conscious and it makes me feel really good that I traded some items that I did not use anymore for a few things that I love, one of which I use almost every day. 

Chatting with ladies during a trade is so super fun and I have had a blast and learned a lot. If trades and TSBs aren't something that interest you, I can see that might clutter up the forums a bit, but it's all in the eye of the beholder - some people wouldn't want to see the trade threads while maybe someone else wishes there weren't so many heart parties, another might wish that the posts about how Rouge has fallen short of expectations would stop cluttering up the forums, similar questions being reposted, etc.  I simply try to scroll through to the ones that interest me.

As far as allowing posts about llamas, I think the guidelines are pretty flexible as long as we are not being mean to someone else, posting external links, anything offensive, etc.  There is a non-makeup related section "off-topic." 

As beautytester said, there are only so many questions to ask regarding makeup.  I have engaged in the humor as others have (although I haven't posted any llamas yet) and will try to keep it in Rouge where most people won't have to see it.  There's been a few very, very rough days I've had recently and the clever and funny wit of a number of the marvelous ladies here have saved me.  And to me that's what BT is about, learning makeup, having a place where you can be yourself, and where you can escape even for a little bit from the daily grind.

ChicDabbler

The tone have certainly changed, but it's only a matter of time before we run out of new/interesting questions to ask. I like the professional atmosphere, too, but times have changed. I find it easier if I think of it like this (possibly awkward anology coming up):

BT is like a party central, where there's the casual office party taking place (semi professional) and there's the frat party taking place (hi Jaime! nice llamas, lol). Of course the chill/quiet people will complain about the frat party being too noisy, but you don't have to attend. The problem that I see is when the two mix, if someone goes into frat party and complain about everyone/everything in there and being a party pooper, they are not welcomed. Equivalently, if a frat party person runs into an office party welcoming newcomers, start twerking and then pass out on the floor, that is also not appropriate or welcomed.

BT has changed, I remember back when I used to log on and see "who's online/500 users" and now it's almost always around 2000. I think everyone probably needs to take a step back, breathe, and adjust themselves. =)

manniface

Maybe it would be nice to have a filter function so that all of the off topic posts wouldn't be on the front page?

ChicDabbler

Oh AGREED! It would be awesome if we can choose which board we do and don't want to follow! Sadly, considering the speed at which BT implements changes, I don't see it happening within the next decade. X.X

floridab

Thanks for mentioning that. I think that is what bothers me is that as soon as I click on advice, all the off topic threads come up and if I want "real"advice , I have to search for it .  Maybe they need to keep all the off topic threads off the main page that comes up and then everyone can click on the tab they want to read. That would make more sense.  It seems like the constructors of the web site want to jumble everything on the main page and that is causing concerns.  

katie1724

Yes -- I have thrown out that idea to mods, as this is how BT used to be structured. I think OT posts are fine, of course, but when they dominate the main page, it does give BT a different sort of atmosphere (one that is often unrelated to beauty). If I were new, I would be put off and/or confused. 

floridab

My thoughts exactly! Thanks for the post.

jellybean917

That's a nice idea, manniface! Customized bt for the topics you want

jenjendoitagain

Not offended here. It's great to speak your mind and I applaud you for that. I agree with many things you mentioned. :smileyhappy:

SydBristow

Sort of in line with some of the other posts here, regarding moderators, but BT seems to have become large and extremely active.  I wonder how Sephora views BT - for me I know the threads here have enabled me to make some sizable purchases and I'll bet everyone else can say the same.  Therefore, from my little perspective, I would see it as a marketing tool for Sephora that not enough resources have been allocated to for the size it has become.  While the mods are GREAT there have been a number of times I've had to contact with an issue and it's been a day sometimes before there's a reply?  There's always a gracious and wonderful reply and all issues addressed, but it seems like there are very few left to manage the questions of many and the possible issues that may arise.  (Such as the kitchen spam threads that are happening every night.) 

So it sort of seems to me that it's been left up to us on the boards to self moderate unless there become serious enough issues. 

Anyway, BT for me is a place to learn about makeup and hang out with a group of marvelous people. I know there have been some humorous antics on BT, perhaps they started about the time of the "fake fakes" on the Trade thread. I laughed like crazy! I feel like there's been more not-so-good undercurrents recently at BT, such as people scamming on TSBs, trades, sending nasty PMs. It doesn't feel quite like it did, like the dynamic has changed.

In any case, I've been creating some edited pics and posting them, as others have, maybe I've taken it too far, I don't know.  I will try to contain my crazy to the Rouge section.  :smileyhappy:  That seems most appropriate.

BrennaBombshell

I'm actually pretty new to BT, I've only been posting for a few weeks. And I have to say that this is probably the friendliest forum I've ever been on. I was pretty apprehensive at first, worried that I might be shunned for not knowing things, or that I might sound like a know-it-all on others. And while I'm not in any inner circles, I don't feel excluded. I've felt a bit hurt at times when a really long, detailed, well-thought out answer goes ignored, but I try not to take it to heart. Everyone has their own opinions, and what I said may have been a TL;DR situation. :smileyhappy: I do notice some strange inside joke threads that started off on Newcomer posts, and I'm grateful that didn't happen to me, because I may have stopped coming on here. Then I notice that Newcomer not coming back or posting anything again, at least, and I feel bad. But for the most part, I really love this community, it makes me feel good about myself. And I like having other people to share my loves and obsessions with! It's such a great feeling! I'm at home pretty much all the time, I have Crohn's Disease which makes me sick a lot. I work from home and don't go out very often. So that keeps me from having a lot of IRL friends. I have plenty, but since moving to my new place about a year and a half ago, I have yet to meet anyone in this area. I was getting so lonely! But now I feel like I have friends to discuss my favorite things with, friends who like the things I like, friends who are supportive and funny and welcomed me with open arms. And for that, Beauty Talk, I thank you. ^_^

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 160 replies
  • 744 hearts
  • 52 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • nikki
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa