ChicDabbler

What does BeautyTalk mean to you?

[ Edited ]

A long long time ago, in a galaxy fa-...well, in Sephora actually, BeautyTalk was just a little place for people to ask beauty questions and get answers. Then it slowly grew into a community with more variety of topics being discussed. Then the atmosphere changed and.......well, I'm not sure what it is anymore. Yes, there will be some degree of disapproval/disappointment coming up, but if you want drama, PM me instead.

The original intent of the forum was a Q&A, which is what I still kind of sees it as, and the reason why I'm not too bothered when people ask similar questions. If I have a penny for every time someone post about how to contour, I would have enough to....buy a pack of Sephora blotting paper. Anyways, just like they have the right to post repetitive questions, you have the right to ignore it, let someone else answer it, or linking it to a previous answer. Because BeautyTalk has been here for a couple of years, there's only so many *really* new questions that people can ask. I believe in giving every newbie a chance, because I remember how terrified and tentative when I made my very first post online in a forum, and everyone have written good posts and bad posts (for all I know, this post/thread could turn out to be a really terrible idea). And also, you don't have to like everyone on this thread, I'm sure there are some that don't like me, and that is fine. It does not make you or me a bad person.

The forum nowadays have kind of shifted away from Q&A to a more chat about beauty and life environment, which I'm fine with, altho it took me a bit to adjust my mentality. However, I'm unsure about hijacking thread and the inside jokes. I have a bit of dry humor and likes being sarcastic sometimes, but usually limit it to people I know. If I see a thread where ppl are poking fun at things, even if I don't agree I let it be instead of being a party pooper (unicorn poop in 3...2...). But if ppl hijack a legit question thread to post inside jokes, well, it seems a bit cliquey to me and kind of brush off/ignoring the original poster. When in doubt, I believe in behaving in a professional manner, but this is not a professional skincare/beauty forum, so I understand if this seems a bit stiff/stuck up. It's just that some threads are like a big party where anything goes, so if I don't agree then I leave, but other threads are more....factual? legit? where such behavior might not be appropriate?....the crossover confuses me. Or maybe I'm just too old (in BT age) since to me, this is like the casual office party, where I have fun but still keep it somewhat professional polite, while some people sees it more like a dorm party, where anything goes?

I don't know, that was not as well written as I wanted at all, but basically to me, BT is a semi-professional environment where people do beauty Q&As along with some get to know each other things. If you want to make a party thread and get naughty, then fine, but if some of the inside jokes end up hijacking other unrelated thread that could've been important to someone, not as cool. But, what is BeautyTalk to you? or rather, what kind of place do you want BeautyTalk to be?

kenny

Re: What does BeautyTalk mean to you?

No hate mail yet? Let me get on it.... Just kidding :smileyhappy: We love you beautytester

jojobe

Beautytester if anyone sends you hatemail for this, well we will find a way to deal with them. 

malday

[ Edited ]

I've been on BT for a while now, not a super long time or anything but enough to have seen the shift. I find myself having to scroll through a lot of crap these days to get to the actual beauty related stuff, which is fine in moderation but lately idk.  I feel like a lot of the old school BTers that I'd look to for advice and tips and such have stopped posting and I can't help but wonder if they're feeling the same way. Anyway, I've never really interacted a ton on BT but now I have less of a reason to tbh. I try to come here to help people out, find new tips, hear about great products, find and share looks and inspiration and mostly learn new things but it's becoming harder. I feel like a lot of random people are being targeted as well which is totally unfair, especially when they have no idea what's even going on.

Another thing, BT is now highlighted more through that fancy new tab we have, so I can't help but wonder what goes through peoples minds when they click on it looking for advice and instead get a barrage of memes. Sorry, but BT isn't 4chan or NeoGAF.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I totally agree with all of the above (as an old schooler, I can confirm that this is true for me) and with your point re: the barrage of memes. As I mentioned in response to a different post, sure, those can be funny in OT posts, but due to the forum's current structure, they often dominate the main page. If I were new and seeking beauty advice, I'd be put off (or confused). Then, if I did post -- only to wind up with pictures and memes (as jokes) and things I really didn't understand peppered between legit responses -- I'd feel pretty uncomfortable. 

I think, too, that intentional or not, the inside jokes contribute to the clique-like atmosphere; again, if I were new at this point, I don't think I would have begun participating. In addition to feeling unwelcome or intimidated, I would have assumed that the crowd was much younger, and that I was too old for this. It  also doesn't help that certain newcomers seem to be the target of jokes -- and everyone (even BT lurkers who may not be participating) can see this when they're browsing. I was in a sorority in college (sororities are inherently cliquey; there's really no better breeding ground), and my experience wasn't 1/10 as bad as it seems on some days here. 

ChicDabbler

You seem like a pretty chill person and I like your posts. I can only keep up with so many things at once, lol, so no 4chan, instagram or other fancy schmancy stuff for me. =)

MlleCC

I'm a Newcomer in every sense of the word -- to BT (6 days so far!) and to make-up (still too much of a coward to take an eyelash curler to my eye!).  I'm quite shy both in real life and online, thinking that other people might not find my responses/opinions interesting, and admittedly, I was a bit of a silent reader before finally making a BT profile.  One of the things that influenced my decision to join was the "casual office party" atmosphere that you described -- there are fun non-beauty-related topics, but when someone has a serious question, there are always people who can give very detailed and helpful answers.  I think keeping this balance would be healthy for BT so that everyone, whether they are Hall of Famers or Newcomers, can choose which aspects of the forum they would want to be active in.  

sp2001

welcome! avoid posting about kitchens and you'll find this place pretty awesome to post in, glad you got out of the silent reader mode

YouAreAlways

Hey, I happen to be renoing a kitchen and find them very informative! 

(I am not)

ChicDabbler

Thankyou for chiming in! =D

Agreed, and despite the fact that I need those curlers (have the asian lashes that points straight down), I still end up pinching myself ever so often and spit out all the curses I know with tears in my eyes. =X

killahbabe

Don't worry, MlleCC, I STILL freak myself out about using an eyelash curler!

MlleCC

Aren't they scary-looking things though? They're giant metal clamps just for your wispy eyelashes! Do you or beautytester have any advice on how to intelligently choose one? Surely there is a more systematic way other than to bring every single one to your eye and risk pinching yourself, no? :smileyvery-happy:

ChicDabbler

It depends on your eye shape, I compared a couple different ones here: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup/Eyelash-Curler-Comparison/qaq-p/340099

But regardless of which ones you choose, it takes a while to figure out how to use it, so I would recommend curling the middle/tip of your lash first. When you get the hang of it and feel comfortable doing it there, then move in until you can curl the base of your lashes. =)

killahbabe

I think the best thing to do is to match a curler with the shape/size of your eye. Eyelash curlers aren't standard sizes across brands, some have a more/less severe curve, and some are longer/shorter. 

Manda

I find that Tarte makes a pretty good one and it doesn't really pinch your lashes as harshly as some of the others. 

And did those words make any sense? I really don't know..

Manda

I think that is why I avoid an eyelash curler. Luckily, I am usually able to get them to curl without one.  The pinching.. no fun at all.

MlleCC

Lucky! Your lashes must be like my boyfriend's -- he naturally has these super-long, thick, curly lashes and his eyebrows are annoyingly perfect too. He never understood why I am envious of them until I showed him how much some people spend on eyelash curlers, mascara, eyeliners, brow products, etc. and then he understood enough to feel smug. :smileytongue:

Manda

I have curly hair so my eyelashes naturally follow it. Sadly, I sometimes get curly hairs on my eyebrows too. Talk about a pain.  But yet, I have long lashes. I can close my eyes and they graze the top of my cheeks.

anaa

I put in a recommendation for shu uemura, it has a thick pad.  I've use an eyelash curler every day and have been using this brand for years.  As beautytester said, once you use it a few times you won't have a problem with pinching.

anaa

When this forum started it had a more professional vibe because the emphasis was basically on exchanging beauty ideas and asking questions or for product recommendations.  There was an actual group of Sephora staff that presented itself as professionals in the industry who gave very good advice and shared their expertise.  Two or three of them would answer one question in some instances.  Now that the board has grown in membership size and the mods seem to be more focused on making sure nothing they deem "inappropriate" stays posted, some of the original structure is gone and it appears that anything goes.   Sephora quite frankly fostered the concept of dividing people up in groups with the heart concept and accompanying tags they assigned and then later creating the rouge designation.  The inside jokes and familiarity naturally stem from it.  If a person isn't interested in a subject, or doesn't get the reference within some of the threads then why not move on?  I think it's definitely much different when I first started, and when I lose interest I don't log on for awhile.  But I don't think it's not as good or valuable. 

ChicDabbler

Oh! Valid point! Many of the mods here have/are working in the industry, and I do wish we would see more advice/beauty chats from them instead of the CS stuff they are now stuck with due to Rouge mess and because they are nicer/better at it than some of the actual CS ppl we chat with (we love you, mods!). Occasionally one of the mod would mention Sephora office, or working backstage at a fashion show and I'm like "oh oh oh! tell me more!" but alas, they have to handle BT, Facebook and Q&A for all the products so not as much time for chatting I suppose. =(

anaa

Yeah BT, they do have their hands full with customer service issues I suppose.  I wonder if they miss the more advisory role they used to have.  The Rouge thing was an absolute disaster and I felt really bad that they didn't seem prepared to deal with all the complaints and questions, not their fault at all.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 160 replies
  • 744 hearts
  • 52 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • nikki
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa