sephoramusthave

What do you think about photoshop in magazines?

[ Edited ]

What do you think about photoshop and have you ever been photoshopped?

tbuss

Re: What do you think about photoshop in magazines?

Thank you for posting! This is a really great video and it should be mandatory viewing for every young girl. 

My nieces are too young to share this with (3 1/2 and six months) but they have taught me so much about self acceptance and loving yourself for who you are.  When does that attitude change?  When they are in school?  Exposed to commercial media?  I don't know. I just know that they are happy and loving and kind and not worried a bit about their shape.  I wish we could keep them that way and protect them from the impossible beauty standards. 

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I had to remove the video because BT doesn't allow postage of videos that aren't from Sephora. I didn't know that. Sorry mods!

lovinglondon

I'm aware of the excessive photoshop/ airbrushing techniques in magazines so it doesn't really bother me.  I appreciate companies like Dove that work at educating people on these tactics. 

The Diane Keaton Golden Globes controversy recently brought this to light. I think we all know commercials are airbrushed but a lot of people were shocked by this.   

upload_4863057968213235598.jpg

It does bother me though when people photoshop their Twitter/ Instagram pics. I guess it's your right, but I find it so unnecessary. I am by NO means thin, but I'd rather no post my pic then to alter it to make myself look thinner than I am. A few celebs have been caught doing this and they just look ridiculous. 

tashalicious

i love seeing the before and after shots, i would love to see more celebs show their before and after magazine photos because so many girls/women compare themselves to them, it's a nice reality check.  As for the use of photoshop  in general? i love it! when i look at fashion magazines i want to see Glamour, that's what sells me on an item , if a model has dark circles and cellulite she can post it on instagram, i don't want to see it in a magazine or on any product i'm paying for.

Urbie

Such an interesting video!  Thanks for posting it here!  Such a ridiculous difference between real and the media's idea of "ideal".

I've been photoshopped before- I did an ad campaign where they have to put a bunch of people into a picture that weren't physically in the room at the same time, and I'm sure there was some retouching done to my face (nothing drastic or super noticeable though).  I've also had my headshots retouched- usually this is to even out make up that might be a little heavy handed or to fix stray hairs.  I'm fine with that, but I would never WANT to be transformed the way that these women were transformed.  It makes everyone look the same/like barbies.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

Thanks for sharing, sephoramusthave! I think photoshopping is out of control, particularly now. When I was in my early teens (in the mid 90s), I would often look at ads for foundation and and wonder why my skin never looked like that -- I didn't realize then (like I know now) that pores are edited out, along with pretty much any natural line in the face (even tiny crease lines under the eyes, that even babies and children have). I think it's irresponsible, and it's nice that certain countries (the UK, France has proposed laws on this subject) have banned ads that misrepresent what a product can do.

Mascara ads are particularly awful -- in print and in commercials, I have noticed a fine print "Model is wearing lash enhancer" (read: falsies) but it's not really visible unless you're looking for it. 

I think if you're aware of these things, you know that ads aren't realistic and can take them with a grain of salt -- but a lot of people out there sadly aren't aware and probably buy products thinking it will give them unnaturally flawless skin or false-looking lashes. 

Bodies…oof, that's another issue. It's so sad when they make an already slender person even thinner, or they change the facial features or bone structure of a cover model. I remember when Florence Welch (who I adore beyond all reason) was on the cover of Vogue a few years ago (and then more recently was featured in an inside spread) -- they totally changed the shape of her chin / jaw and her face. It was unbelievable, and if I were her (or any celebrity that had been subjected to this), my feelings would have been really hurt. People don't always have perfect noses and perfectly balanced facial features, and it's unfair to photoshop them to perfection to make them conform to some unreal, perfectly proportioned standard of beauty for the sake of being on a magazine cover. I think Kate Winslet also spoke out when she was photoshopped to be more slender (but I don't know that they changed her facial features). 

lucyshnoosy

Excellent video!  Thank you for posting.

I have never been photoshopped, nor would I want to.  What's the point of a fake picture of myself?

I wish that all women realized that the beauty standards in these photos are not real.

sephoramusthave

I know what you mean. I feel like it really hacks at self confidence and that is the most important thing. Being comfortable in your own body means more than some unrealistic expectations.

lsp2005

This was one of the most moving videos I have ever watched on body issues. It really made me think about what I see and how reality and what is displayed in magazines and even on tv or in the movies does not necessarily match reality. It made me appreciate real beauty. I am perfectly fine with someone using makeup, but IMO photoshop goes way to far most of the time.

sephoramusthave

Does anyone else recognize some of the makeup the makeup artist uses in that video? I see the naked 2 palette ( got it!) and the beauty blender ( I have the Cynthia Rowley dupe)

tracygirl64

Very interesting video. I've talked with my husband about this many times, how it bothers me that they can re-touch someone so much and then try to sell a product to you saying it does these things. Yet, the beautiful model still needed a bunch of re-touching, and adding of eyelashes, erasing of lines, freckles, spots, etc. I really wish that they would change it so that they can't market this way.

sephoramusthave

I do have to give props to allure magazine though, because the one with Amy Adams on the cover shows her lines and wrinkles around her eye area and they didn't take away *all* of her imperfections. She just so so gorgeous, but even prettier when she looks more real.

AlisG

[ Edited ]

I remember taking a photoshop class a couple of years ago where my teacher showed us what they do to make celebrities look good on magazine covers. Not only do they erase a good portion of their bodies/mperfections, but apparently they judge which side of the person's face is prettier and copy and paste it onto the other side so that the face looks entirely symmetrical. 

He showed us with a frightening picture of Charlie Sheen. It was pretty amusing.

It is fun to use though. I got to photoshop random pictures of elderly people to see if I could make them look younger. 

sephoramusthave

Yeah the before and after pic of the lady with the short dark hair looks at least 20 years younger in her retouched photo. And to think that at one point, when I was in high school, I thought that just good makeup and skincare made you look like that 0.0

katie1724

I did, too! 

prettyinpa

I also would be more likely to buy a product if the model was real rather than Photoshopped. It just seems so fake.

As for being personally Photoshopped, my senior picture was "retouched" (the old way of fixing up pictures before computers were invented, lol) because I had a huge zit on my forehead, yuck!

sephoramusthave

I knew that they used photoshop to take away lines and wrinkles and sundamage or to make someone look slimmer but this video made me see that its so much more than that. They lighten their skintone, and add fake light to hair and skin so that they look unnaturally bright. The before and after pictures are striking....the haircolor is different, the eyebrows are different....

veronika23

I've seen a lot of videos like this and know how much Photoshop can change everything!  I wish we had everyday people in magazines with minimal Photoshop touch ups.  I'd probably be even more likely to buy the products they are selling.... That's just me though.  Thanks for sharing!  Great topic! :smileyhappy:

gingerblack

Wow that was an interesting video. I have seen a few others like that. I think that photoshop is so widely used people won't stop using it. It would be awesome if they did though. I'd love to see people in magazines that looked natural. I don't like how they made her skin lighter. I have never been photoshopped like that before.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 48 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • lovinglondon
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • tracygirl64
    • tbuss