qmgirl

What do you take for granted?

I take for granted the fact that I live in NY and never visit any of the touristy places. I always tell myself next time or if I have a friend in town but we end up doing something totally different. I really just want to take a day and be a tourist. Although when i was working in the city (in the heart of the diamond district and right by times square, Rockefeller center and radio city), I despised tourists (no offense). lol It was just so busy all the time and I felt like It took 10 min just to cross the street.

But anyway my point is life is too short. I only visited the twin Towers once before 9/11 and it happened to be only a few days before the tragedy. I wish i would have gone there more often. Oddly enough I have never been to the top of the empire state building. I only visited the statue of liberty once as a child on a school trip but never went to the top. There are a lot of things in NY that i would like to do and should do soon but I figure I live here so i will get there eventually. :smileysad:

What do you take for granted??

starletta8

Re: What do you take for granted?

(0) Hearts

One quick one tonight: Living in a climate with distinct seasons. It's less extreme where I live now, but growing up I had 4 distinct wardrobes because we had 4 completely different seasons.

(I tackled the semi-annual switch of closet contents tonight.  So much work- like 5 hours- but so worth it)

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I hear you! A few weeks ago I took out my Uggs, rain boots, and hoodies. I'm not ready to give up my sun dresses, but I can't really wear them. Even when it's 75 degrees out, as soon as some wind comes or you're in the shade it's too cold. 

And why does it seem like winter is the longest season? brrrrr

makeupmaven

(0) Hearts

This is a tough one. I'm sure I take living in the bay area for granted since I've lived here my whole life. And while I put a lot of focus into healthy skin (diet, self-care, supplements, skincare), I've always had good skin so I probably take this for granted. I know how important it is to feed my skin with healthy foods, de-stress and support lymphatic drainage with dry brushing, massage, acupuncture, yoga, but since this has really become my lifestyle, it's not like I think about it anymore. I'm always trying to discover something new, but I don't have to put much true effort into "fixing" my skin.

And I don't think I take my marriage/ long-lasting love for granted, but I've obviously become acclimated to having someone I love be there for me. So it might be hard for me to truly empathize with what my single friends go through, even though I can certainly remember (though it's been over 10 years).

LCResz

Nothing, I have been blessed (yes blessed) with a disorder that makes me grateful every day that I have all of my faculties for one more day, that my job is challenging and impacts the future, that my family is alive and well, and that those who have passed live on in my heart. Nothing else matters.

midnightangel

[ Edited ]

Due to the way I grew up & the things I've lived through, I can honestly say there's nothing in this world that I take for granted.

I'm consciously aware of & grateful for everything I have & have access to. That's just how I was raised & how my mind works.

glossyguru

I take for granted a lot of things, but right now I can only think about how the leaves change different colors in the fall where I live. I know that doesn't happen everywhere.

Londonlover101

I totally agree with you 1930'sbella I take for granted all the beautiful things that we sometimes forget to thank god for :smileyhappy: 

sephoralovex

Just like 1930sbella, life in general. I never really take the time to think what I have and what I've been given my whole life growing up. And when I do think about life from time to time, I do realize it. But sometimes not enough.

1930sbella

(0) Hearts

my thoughts exactly!

1930sbella

I just take life in general for granted, i forget how wonderful my life really is :smileyhappy:.

tashalicious

i'm from NYC also and i've always had a love/hate relationship with the city, as the old saying goes ," its a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there". (unless you're wealthy) if there is anything i take for granted it's probably my family, i don't keep in touch as often as i probably should.

qmgirl

I always say I want to move to fl or someplace that is a slower pace but I can never bring myself to do it. lol My family's here, my life is here. But there are times when i'm like ugh this is too much but I am a city girl throughh and through! I was going to move to Vermont when I was in college so I was there for a few months a decided HELL NO this is soooo not me. lol I complain but I do LOVE NY!! lol

tashalicious

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

i felt the same way when i was younger, i thought i would never leave New York because every place else seemed so boring in comparison. But as i got older i realized that i could live more comfortably for a lot less money, that's when i packed my bags and never looked back, but i guess it was an easy decision for me because as i said i hardly talk to my family much. lol

cspriverratz

Ughh I love NYC! I've been a few times, and would really like to transfer from my college to one there. 

I take where I live for granted as well, I live in the OC, California. I'm a 5 minute drive away from Disneyland, about 20 minutes from the beach, and without traffic about 30-45 minutes from LA. I've grown up here, so I'm used to being able to go to Disneyland or the beach whenever I want, no planning needed. It's when I'm with my friends in LA and giving tourists from different states/countries directions that I realize how I really do take where I live for granted. 

spacesuit

I used to live really close to the beach and I regret not going there more when I had the time. Whenever relatives or friends would visit they would ask to go to the beach and I would be like "ughhh, again??"

cspriverratz

(0) Hearts

Haha, I can totally relate! My family visits from Arizona, and that's the number one thing they want to do, along with Disneyland. A bit monotonous, but then I think about how they don't exactly have beaches or the Happiest Place on Earth, and how much they love it. I'm pretty sure they're a bit tired of going to the Grand Canyon everytime I visit, haha!

kenny

I'm so jealous of you! I've been to NYC a couple times and I love it. There is just something about the feel of the city.

I live in Edmonton, and have worked in West Edmonton Mall for a few years, and tourists! Takes forever to get anywhere. But on the other hand I am so close to one of the largest malls in the world. 

On a more personal note, sometimes I forget how great a situation in life I have been given, and I don't have to deal with some if the hardships others do.

qmgirl

I agree. I decided to quit my job last month and just relax and enjoy life (and nope I did not tour NYC or do anything I thought I would do with my time off lol) for a bit before getting back to work. And i complain about being bored, etc.... but then I think wow I have some nerve! I really have nothing to complain about especially compared to someone who may not be able to do what I did.

miabt

I completely agree with taking for granted of the area you live in!  I've living in the SF Bay Area my entire life & I have never been to Alcatraz!  I think I also take for granted the close relationship I have with my family.  My siblings & I (my entire family actually) are really close & live within 30 mins, yet I dont always have the time to visit them.. kids, work, life....  Then I see people who dont have family close by or family at all & it makes me want to run over to my sisters place & give her a big bear hug <3

xo, Mia

LKuhle

(0) Hearts

I'm the same way! I'm determined to take an entire day and do all the touristy San Francisco stuff I've never done. Especially Alcatraz. I have no idea how I've never managed to go despite living nearby my entire life.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 29 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoralovex
    • janinebt
    • miabt