sephoralovex

What do you do when you are feeling sad?

[ Edited ]

Okay, this is kinda random but I was just wondering. Like what do others do when they have heard bad news, or having a bad day, or just are sad at the moment?

Do you go somewhere? Go for a drive? Want to be alone? Retail therapy?

For me, I gotta say it's defiantly retail therapy. It brings my mood up for a while. And sweets... nothing better than stuffing myself with candy or cookies. Haha. 

beautylovingirl

Re: What do you do when you are feeling sad?

@DesertRose0706- Seinfeld cracks me up! I love Elaine-

DesertRose0706

i play or cuddle with my cat or turn on the tv to an older comedy like Seinfeld or Friends, and that always gets my mind off whats bothering me and helps me relax.

Cat588

Depends on the day I suppose. I usually will lay in my bed for a bit and cuddle with my kitty. Then I'll probably whip out my iPad and watch funny videos. One that has me giggling a lot is the "Jennifer is a party pooper" video. Omg. So funny! Jenna Marbles always makes me laugh too :smileytongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjwofYhUJEM

kimmi1115

I believe this can make anyone LOL.  I first saw it on the Vine app, and I busted out laughing.

AlwaysGlamorous

I'm at work and dying to watch this video! Any sheep + a T-Swizzle song...you know it's going to be good. 

Titian06

First, I allow myself 15 min. to feel miserable and then I play with my cats and crochet.

AlwaysGlamorous

Playing with my cats and crocheting is the best!! 

Bumblee

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings (from Sephora)
These are a few of my favorite things!

:smileyhappy:

When I'm sad, listening to Julie Andrew's "My favorite things" does help!

onomotopoeia9

you just got me singing!!!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I think it depends on the type of funk / sad spell I'm having. If I'm just upset over a bad day, it helps to meet friends for happy hour or dinner. Even if I don't vent about what is bothering me, the fact that I'm attempting to be social will draw me out (I have the tendency to want to be alone) and that will usually cheer me up and I feel better. If it's more than that, sometimes I just need to be alone until I shake it off. When I'm in the habit, I love going for a long run outside (and when I lived somewhere where I drove all the time, taking a short road trip / driving always helped to clear my head, too). I also love a good book (something engaging!), red wine and BT. :smileyhappy:

When I was younger (...who am I kidding, this is still applicable), my mom would always talk me down by pointing out the ways in which the situation was not so bad, or how it could be worse. While this approach does not always work in every situation, there is really something to be said for taking a moment to be thankful for and appreciative of what you have, and remembering the good parts of your life.

Also, there is nothing better than retail therapy, but it's dangerous for me -- I always think I'll deal with the consequences later and then later I think, "What was I thinking?!" :smileytongue:

beauti9

I immediately get something sweet like ice cream or take a trip down to the nearest bakery (Magnolias in NYC is always a plus lol).

katie1724

OMG, I LOVE Magnolia! Since I moved to the west coast I don't get to New York as often (sob) and I seriously still have dreams about that banana pudding. I've tried to bribe friends into FedExing me some, but no dice. I have the cookbook, and I must say, the cupcake recipe turns out tasting pretty similar to the original (if not quite as pretty).

onomotopoeia9

me too! mangolia is a total danger zone for me -- my friends laugh how I already made friends will all the people at the counter :smileyhappy:

onomotopoeia9

Go for retail therapy and drive the longest route possible with feel-good music like icona pop "I don't care; I love it", Ellie goulding "anything can happen", and in general glee soundtracks.

makeupmaven

Breathe/ yoga/ eat fish/ pet my cat/ remember what I'm grateful for/ hug my husband.

I'm pretty upbeat most of the time, so when I'm down it's pretty noticeable. Let go and realize you can't control every situation...you can only control your reaction...this has been the hardest thing because I'm pretty logical/ always wanting to fix every problem and some things just can't be fixed...

btmod1

I love ContentlyKayKay's solution of doing volunteer work and helping others in need!  That would definitely put things in perspective.  I want to give that a try next time I'm having a hard time in life.  I usually try to take my mind off of things by watching a happy movie or reading a book.  It gives me a temporary mental break.  :smileyhappy: -Laura

ContentlyKayKay

My fiance is really good about sending me a picture text of one of my cats when I'm sad since that typically gets me to smile. That's if I'm just having a bad day. If I'm having a hard time in life, I do a lot of volunteer work in general but I try to line myself up with projects like feeding the homeless or working with under privileged kids, it really snaps me out of it and makes me realize my life is pretty blessed and also I feel great helping out fellow community members. If I hear bad news... probably go for a run or hit the punching bag a bit.

I hope everything is going okay :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

If it's an emotional moment and I need to cry I just cry because I feel worse if I hold tears in and usually feel better when I 'm done. As far as a bad day usually my little boy and husband are the best support systems in the world. And then there are other times if I'm sad and I want to be by myself because if someone babies me I'll cry more.:smileyhappy:

marydiva

Retail therapy for sure! :smileyhappy: 

I'm also a talker, so if something's wrong, I'll open up to somebody I trust whether it be my mom or my boyfriend. Chilling outside helps too, as does baking a dessert or watching The Big Bang Theory. :smileyhappy:

melissabt

I would say retail therapy too! Go for a walk/run or sit in the steam room at my local gym:smileyhappy:

<3 Melissa
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 127 hearts
  • 28 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • btmod1
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa