prettyinpa

What do you do for exercise?

What's your exercise plan?  Whether it's a heavy weight lifting session with the TV remote (lol) or a grueling 10 mile hike, how do you keep fit?

I run, ride horses (which is actually a good workout if you do it right), strength train with a fitness ball and resistance bands. I also like to kayak and hike around as long as it isn't hot and muggy out like today.

miabt

Re: What do you do for exercise?

Since there were a few updates, I thought I'd jump in too!  After years of "not having time", my kids are both in school & I have several hours to myself before I start work.  I took up "Hot Yoga" which is similar to Bikram, but in 80 degrees, as opposed to 105 degrees.  The class is 90 mins, so I was super sore the first few classes (every other day to let my body relax) but I'm now able to go in every day!  I've increased my core strength & can get into poses I once dreaded.  While I don't exactly need to lose any lbs, I've slimmed down my waist a little bit & have my curves back :smileyhappy:  Hopefully I can stick with it through the holidays!

xo, Mia

ry22

(0) Hearts

I'm a runner. I'm on my high school's cross country and track team, so I run 6-7 miles after school everyday. My family just got a weights set, but I use that sporadically because coach doesn't want us to get any imbalances to cause us to get injured. Pretty much everyone on the Varsity team has sustain an injury lasting over a month, so we are definitely trying to minimize factors that may lead to injury.

My running personal bests:

5 km: 22:04 (trail)

3 km: 11:43 (160 m track)

1.5 km: 5:20 (160 m track)

800 m: 2:29 (400 m track)

miabt

(0) Hearts

WOW!  A 5K in 22 mins?!  I've been trying to get my time under 30 mins, but running is so hard for me :smileysad:  You've just inspired me to push a little harder :smileyhappy:

xo, Mia

carolang

(0) Hearts

Nice 5K time!

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I get bored easily, so I do a variety of exercises. I run when it's warm (yay It's still in the 70's when the sun is out), but the cold air really zaps my lungs, so I stop running when it chills. I like Jillian Michael's DVD's for when I'm really busy... 25 min full body workouts that leave me sore for days. Yoga when I need to relax or I'm sore & pilates chair when I feel bloated. I also have a lot of full workouts saved on a playlist on youtube. My loft is my little home gym. When our community's club house is done being built it will have a small gym that I might use for cardio. IF it sucks, then I'm getting an elliptical or stationary bike. 

I'm also really active in the summer; kayaking, canoeing, hiking, swimming... 

spedteacher74

(0) Hearts

I used to run, 5 days a week, 3.1 miles a day.  When I did I was thin and could eat most of what I wanted.  IT Band problems caused me to stop, my hip hurt to much to run.  I put on 10 lbs when I stopped running.  I need ideas as to a good routine to drop weight at the gym.  Can you lose weight on the elliptical or am I wasting my time?  I don't feel like I am working as hard as when I am running, but it doesn't hurt me like running does.

carolang

(0) Hearts

I too had to quit running (runners knee - just not worth risking moredamage). Switched to P90X and look so much fitter than I ever didwhen running, and I had just finished 3 halfs and was marathon training before I decided running wasn't good for me. P90 versus insanity - insanity was way too intense for me. Lifting won't bulk you up and it really revs your metabolism.

DTalksAll

Try intervals on the elliptical. The key is to raise your heart rate and lower it down a few times during your workout. 

spedteacher74

Thanks Danny C!  I will try that, its a great idea I didn't think of.

makeupmaven

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I try to do yoga at least 5-6 times a week. Sometimes (if I don't have a lot of time) it's a short 20-min video, sometimes it's a 35-min morning routine (includes a sun salutation w/ planking so it's great for the core and for getting you stretched out/ energized to start your day), sometimes it's a 25-min evening routine that includes a shoulder stand (as Hemalayaa calls it, "the fountain of youth") which helps me to sleep. I have longer yoga videos and dance routine videos too, but this regimen works well for me in being something that I can complete without excuses, and doesn't work me so hard that it raises cortisol/ is a chore to complete/ ruins my sleep cycle. The evening routine is nice as I can do it before or 2 hrs after eating (works well if I'm sticking something in the oven for longer than a half an hour, like chicken).

This probably doesn't seem like much but if I'm consistent I'm happy with the results, I don't injure myself, and I'm not burnt out. I also walk every day during my lunchbreak (less than a mile, but still good to be active) and do some desk yoga throughout the day. I also tend to walk around a lot on the weekends.

Also not trying to lose weight with this regimen or be as fit as some of you...keeping my stress levels/ cortisol down is key for me and this really helps. And I listen to my body...if I'm simply too tired or hungry when I get home, I skip it. I know it will make me feel better, but if I eat too small of a lunch, I need to eat/ avoid eating too late in the evening.

I get a lot more sleep than I used to, typically in bed by 10 if not before, which has helped a lot also.

miabt

Yay a fellow yogi!  I'm just about up to a headstand & can do a side crow :smileyhappy:  I also just mastered a bird of paradise, which was a HUGE accomplishment for me!

xo, Mia

Nichole82

(0) Hearts

I fell in love with running about two and a half years ago, but stopped for about the last year due to either laziness or too many scheduling conflicts. Just moved to Colorado though this month, and have started training for Roller Derby! Still in the "I need to remember how to skate" stage, but it's an awesome working even for just practicing skating again!

JGSFLA

Boot Camp 5 days a week..combines cardio and strength training in one hour..cant beat that ! and its fun because its always different..sometimes we play tug a war and the next thing i know im jumping through tires..keeps it from getting BORING lol!!

Ramieee

I've recently started using the Nike ntc app. They offer lots of great exercise routines that are pretty intense! I usually take a break or two before completing them!

sls35

I usually go to the gym and jog on the treadmill and then I will do free weights. But on the days were I just do not feel like going to the gym I will either go for a nice walk, bike ride, or a hike. I also like to take different classes at my local YMCA. My favorite and most challenging class is probably body pump. It is strength training and aerobic at the same time. (kind of hard to explain) but it is an awesome class!

beautylovingirl

@kalex- You should have bulging triceps with 4 kids and 2 dogs to clean up after that's a lot. I think what also helps me to stay small is because I never sit still.

crayzeeRN

I've taken Taekwondo since I was about 12, and am a second degree black belt now, currently training for my third degree test in November (eek! nerves!) I also have taken HapKiDo (Korean martial art that is similar to Judo or Ju Jitsu) since I was about 17, stopping for about 4 years while in college. I'm in classes probably 6-9 hours a week.

Both martial arts work on just about every muscle group in the body. It's great for stress, and the endorphin rush makes me one happy girl :smileyvery-happy: I take TaeKwonDo more for fitness, as for real-world application, it doesn't really prepare you for fighting, except for speed/reflex training. HapKiDo is a down and dirty kind of martial art, designed to use your opponent's strength against them (good because I am quite small), and to get you out alive if someone attacks you on the street. We practice with knives, blunt object and guns. There's also a lot of acrobatic falls and throws. It's a lot of fun :smileyhappy:

Also, in my free time I play Dance Central 2/3 on Kinect for Xbox :smileyvery-happy: No video cameras allowed, folks.

beautylovingirl

@kalex- I've got to say that cleaning helps a lot in toning your triceps I clean everyday to every other day and I guess lifting the vacuum carrying from place to place has my arms really firm that along with the weight I use when I run helps a lot. I pretty weight conscious if I get over 117 I panic.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I have a panic number too! But I rarely get on the scale, I try to judge myself by how I look & feel. I did hit my panic number once when I was working out heavily... I bulked up LOL. 

I can't believe how much of a workout cleaning is. I'm always sore & tired after deep cleaning the house. 

kalex

That's too crazy - 117 is my number too!  If I see that number I think, "I need to watch what I eat today."

I wish triceps toning was as simple as cleaning for me.  I have 4 kids and 2 dogs.  I clean a lot!  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 72 replies
  • 168 hearts
  • 45 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sls35