prettyinpa

What do you do for exercise?

What's your exercise plan?  Whether it's a heavy weight lifting session with the TV remote (lol) or a grueling 10 mile hike, how do you keep fit?

I run, ride horses (which is actually a good workout if you do it right), strength train with a fitness ball and resistance bands. I also like to kayak and hike around as long as it isn't hot and muggy out like today.

FitFan

Re: What do you do for exercise?

[ Edited ]

I watch video workouts on youtube by Blogilates. Cassey Ho, the instructor, has a TON of short workouts that target all areas of the body. I started in June with her Beginners calendar workout(3-4 mini workouts a day..about 10 mins or less each) and now I'm doing the July workout. It's SO convenient if you want to tone or get in shape but don't have the time/money for a gym or fitness classes. It's definitely worth checkout out and trying. Some of the workouts are SO killer and others you feel like they aren't so bad until you are sore tomorrow :smileyhappy: She's so funny but really engages you to stay motivated and continue the workouts.

janinebt

I really like Cassey. She's positive and has a huge range of workouts. I'm no stranger to spending some evenings doing a couple of her workouts haha. This is especially nice if I don't have time to make it to the gym, but still want to dedicate some time to my fitness.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
lylysa

I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty petite so staying slim with my smaller frame has never been too difficult. I'm a fan of cardio (dancing/belly dancing) which I used to keep up with on the regular and I've done yoga a bit, but as of late my boyfriend and I have been follow Georges St. Pierre's Rush Fit regimen. He's my favorite UFC fighter and my boyfriend did him homework on a bunch of at-home work out programs and decided "Hey, why not?"

We're on week 5 and so far, so good! The assessment and first few work outs kicked my butt just because I hadn't worked out in foooooreverrrrrr (I think I got over zealous and overshot it with the squats those first few days). But it's a really goo circuit work out that's broken down to a good pace and isn't crazy complicated. It kicks off with a 10 minute warm up, 25 minute work out (broken up into 5 5 minute segments with a minute rest in between each), and a 10 minute cool down, so in total you're working out for 45 minutes.

My quads and abs definitely have more definition when I flex, as do my arms. I'm using it to get more toned and to build some muscle strength rather than using it to shed pounds.

There's 3 different levels of workouts and we started on the beginner but plan to do the intermediate and the advanced so in total it'll be 24 weeks of work outs. I'm anxious to see how my body will change up as time goes on!

swfupload_1509816007741240021.jpg

I'm really liking this thread, Prettyinpa! It almost goes hand in hand with my food thread! :smileytongue: Folks can get workout/exercise ideas here and get meal ideas there! Haha!

kalex

^ Is he shirtless throughout the workouts?  I could find that motivating.

lylysa

LOL! No, sadly he isn't, Kalex! Although I agree 100% with you! :smileywink:

It's actually pretty cool that he does the whole work out along with the two fitness extras, GSP doesn't just stand around, show a few moves then stop. His trainer and designer of the work out (Erik Owings) is more so the person that leads you through each exercise and he's got more of the no-nonsense mentality and keeps it focused (no crazy work out "motivational" speeches from him, just plain and simple instructions and mods to each exercise). You see GSP struggle through parts of the work out too so it's nice to know that even as conditioned of a fighter he is that he still has flaws and isn't some work out machine.

I won't lie, the comments and remarks by GSP are really cute sometimes because English is his second language and you can really tell he's trying to get across a good point, but stumbles on his words sometimes. :smileytongue:

dianabt

@crayzeeRN wow thats amazing! Have you ever tried Capoiera? I may have spelled it wrong but its a form of Brazilian martial arts that sort of mixes the martial arts with dancing. Apparently the focus is to avoid an attack with evasive moves rather than attacking yourself or blocking hits!

On another note I've seen a UFC fight ONCE in my life on TV and wow was it bloody.. a knee to the nose and that was it. =/ I'm sure their workout are AMAZING though to keep so fit and in shape! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lylysa

(0) Hearts

Capoiera is so beautiful to me! I love watching demonstrations because everything is so fluid and all movements and function translate and flow so well from one to another! There's even a capoiera move in the stretching/warm up in the Rushfit vid!

@ Diana, yeah, it can get pretty bloody if a fighter happens to hand even just ONE good/right hit. It's insane when it happens right at the beginning of a fight or in the first few rounds, especially if someone happens to get a gash on their brow or forehead, blood is just pouring into a fighter's eye!

The Rushfit work out actually surprised me because it's not all UFC/MMA oriented, in other words I'm not doing crazy take downs in all the work outs. There is one DVD where you work on punches, knees, elbows, and kicks, but overall it's a pretty funcational system that ties in well with other workouts like swimming, biking, or even just cardio.

crayzeeRN

Hahahahaha nice Kalex :smileyvery-happy:

prettyinpa

Triceps are tricky muscles to really tone up. I use resistance bands and also do back pull downs. I got a kit from GoFit that has 4 different resistance bands, handles and a DVD for around $35 (forgot the actual amount) on Amazon. They are nice for travel because I can do the routine anyplace that has a door to trap the anchor in. Farm work somehow also tones up triceps, I think slinging hay bales around helps a lot! lol

kalex

[ Edited ]

Regarding triceps...  Does anyone have triceps that don't jiggle to an extreme degree?  If so, tell me what you do!  In detail please. *grabs pen and notebook*

Awhile back I caught my reflection while waving and I was horrified to see my triceps wobbling.  I did chair dips and push-ups on a daily basis for weeks and saw zero improvement. :smileysad:

serioustree

Holy shabammmm. You ladies are tough!

im taking a lot of notes cause my BF is challenging me to a weight loss competition for an all expenses paid vacation... Which of course I cannot afford.

i used to kick box every morning but that was long ago and now I'm a lazy butt. =/ you all motivate me to move more!

prettyinpa

@serioustree- Just take it slow to start so you don't injure yourself and get set back. Some fitness DVDs and exercise routines start you off pretty fast and if you are really gung ho, you can strain a muscle. If you do get sore, know that it hurts the worst about 36 hours after, then gets better pretty fast. Soaking in a tub of epsom salts or bath salts always feels great for me.

We are cheering you on, I hope you get a wonderful vacation and a toned body out of all that hard work!

prettyinpa

Wow, all you ladies really know how to have fun while exercising!  I'm proud of you all for taking good care of your bodies, I wish I had taken better care of parts of mine when I was younger- fortunately I haven't had to have any joints replaced yet, but I know for sure that a toned body could have prevented a couple of nasty sprains!

I love all your exercise hints, I'm definitely going to look into some of your DVD recommendations, blogs and tutorials!

berniebeauty

I'm a second degree black belt in taekwondo, so I go to practice and do drills twice a week. Otherwise I just kind of bounce around the house and dance to music while cooking or playing with my dog lol. I have also been doing some exercises with dumbbells so I'll have more arm strength for net year's stage crew. I do not have any arm strength lol

~We are all beautiful~

crayzeeRN

High five, berniebeauty, I'm a second degree too! :smileyhappy:

melissabt

[ Edited ]

I try to go to my local gym a few times a week. I also like going to the steam room to detox! If I can't make it to the gym I do a long walk/run outside (especially if the weather is nice)! My mom and I go to the same gym and she always motivates me to go.

<3 Melissa
lovelyred139

I'm addicted to Jillian Michaels DVD's.  I'll pop one in at least 4 times a week.  I'm thinking of trying the Chalean Extreme set at some point in the future -- I'd like to get more serious about weights and she seems a good way to ease into it.  

For recreational exercise, I'm at my local fencing club one night a week.  I started fencing in high school and absolutely love it.  The social aspect is great and it's a good workout.  It's always fun to be able to point to a bruise and say "Oh, got that from a sword fight".

kalex

[ Edited ]

I get on my treadmill or elliptical every evening for 20-30 minutes.  I just stick in my ear buds and zone out.  If the kids come down and find me they get, "Go find your Dad."  It's my "ME" time!

janinebt

(0) Hearts

@kalex, haha you sound like my mom when I was growing up. She'd get so annoyed when my sister and I would bug her during her morning home workouts. 

Whimsically yours,
Janine
kenny

A couple nights a week I'm taking dance classes, I also love  to bike and do zumba videos. I also take my dogs on long walks through the parks. I love to mix things up and do fun activities, since I find the gym incredibly dull.

melisa16

I like to do cardio 7x a week. Mainly I do jogging on the treadmill or go on the elliptical. About 4x a week, I like to lift weights, and 6x I like to do toning. So one night I will do toning exercises for all over, then the next night, I will tone my arms, etc.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 72 replies
  • 168 hearts
  • 45 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • sls35