mityren

What are you reading ?

[ Edited ]

I am a book lover! I would rather read than do anything else! So just outta curiosity, What are you ladies (and gentleman)  reading? What's your favorite genre?

I just finished Blood Vivicani by Beckett 

And I am starting a reread of The song of Ice and Fire (the game of thrones series)

My favorite genre by far is horror and Fantasy.

miabt

Re: What are you reading ?

This is probably one of my favorite threads to revisit periodically, to see what everyone is reading.  I'm always on the hunt for a good book to read!  I havent found a good one lately for myself, so I've been re-reading The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor.  Instead, my girls have been reading a lot to me :smileyhappy:  My younger one, who is 6, has read close to 40 chapter books from July until now.  Granted they are Junie B Jones, Diary of a Wimpy Kid & such, but she finishes them off, cover to cover, in about a 1-2 days!  Keep the suggestions for new books coming!!

xo, Mia 

TheSocialQuota

(0) Hearts

Oh my gosh, that's the best when they are that age and devouring books. I think a lot of kids at that age get turned on by the Pizza Hut Book It program (I know I cashed in :smileyvery-happy:) Have you introduced them to the Boxcar kids or the Wayside School (Sachar) books?

laurabt

[ Edited ]

This is a fun thread!  I am an avid reader; I read my Kindle every day on my commute to & from work on the bus. Therefore, I go through a lot of books a year, and I'm always looking for new recommendations.  I'm excited to check out some of these books you have all recommended!

Earlier this year I read The Secret Keeper: A Novel by Kate Morton. OMG, I think this is the best book I have ever read! I loved it so much that I want to re-read it!  And I'm not alone- this book is rated 4.5 stars on Amazon with 2,426 customer reviews.  It's such an engaging story that I couldn't stop thinking about the characters even when I wasn't reading it and I loved this book so much that I was sad when I finished it. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but it takes place in both the past and the present, and really makes you think about your ancestors that came before you.  Check out the summary on Amazon. I highly recommend it!

:smileyhappy: -Laura

michelleshops

I'm reading 'American Gods' by Neil Gaimon.  I'm only about a quarter of the way through but so far it's really good.  A very interesting read.

TheSocialQuota

(0) Hearts

Ocean at the end of the lane was really good.

DiVWA

(0) Hearts

"The Elephant Company:The Inspiring Story of an Unlikely Hero and the Animals Who Helped Him Save Lives in World War II." I'm halfway through and already my husband is bugging me to hurry up and finish so he can read it.

What Amazon says about it:

The remarkable story of James Howard “Billy” Williams, whose uncanny rapport with the world’s largest land animals transformed him from a carefree young man into the charismatic war hero known as Elephant Bill

Billy Williams came to colonial Burma in 1920, fresh from service in World War I, to a job as a “forest man” for a British teak company. Mesmerized by the intelligence, character, and even humor of the great animals who hauled logs through the remote jungles, he became a gifted “elephant wallah.” Increasingly skilled at treating their illnesses and injuries, he also championed more humane treatment for them, even establishing an elephant “school” and “hospital.” In return, he said, the elephants made him a better man. The friendship of one magnificent tusker in particular, Bandoola, would be revelatory. In Elephant Company, Vicki Constantine Croke chronicles Williams’s growing love for elephants as the animals provide him lessons in courage, trust, and gratitude.

But Elephant Company is also a tale of war and daring. When Imperial Japanese forces invaded Burma in 1942, Williams joined the elite Force 136, the British dirty tricks department, operating behind enemy lines. His war elephants would carry supplies, build bridges, and transport the sick and elderly over treacherous mountain terrain. Now well versed in the ways of the jungle, an older, wiser Williams even added to his stable by smuggling more elephants out of Japanese-held territory. As the occupying authorities put a price on his head, Williams and his elephants faced his most perilous test. In a Hollywood-worthy climax, Elephant Company, cornered by the enemy, attempted a desperate escape: a risky trek over the mountainous border to India, with a bedraggled group of refugees in tow. Elephant Bill’s exploits would earn him top military honors and the praise of famed Field Marshal Sir William Slim.

Part biography, part war epic, and part wildlife adventure, Elephant Company is an inspirational narrative that illuminates a little-known chapter in the annals of wartime heroism.

TheSocialQuota

Weren't you the one recommending "In the Company of Women"? If so I'm on Chapter three, and I intend to push my boss to get a copy too.

DiVWA

Yes I was! Great memory, TheSocialQuota! Do you like the book?

I found it truly fascinating because I think that, in a way, I think more like a guy. Like the chapter about keeping track (I think she referred to it as "chips" or something--I'll have to pull it out and reread it). And some of the other things in there. It's like I was absent from "school" the day that girls were taught all this. I've had issues with female friends over the years too, so that many times a rift happens that makes us go separate ways. (I have several friends from long ago that know me well and that this would never happen with, thankfully.) I could never really figure it out until I read this book. I think that many times I just miss the cues and I tend to be more honest and forthright and less into the female "nuances" (as discussed in this book), so that I could offend other women easily without even knowing. I tend to think independently too so that I refuse to gossip about someone or bully or exclude others, and this has caused issues. "In The Company of Women" helped me sort it out and understand what may have happened. I don't know if I can ever learn all the ins and outs as explained in the book because some of it is not second nature to me. (Maybe that's why I seem to get along better with men.) My husband read it too and it gave him insight into what was going on with some of the women in his workplace, and he liked the book so much, he got a copy to keep at work so he could reread it as needed.

Sorry for the rambling....

TheSocialQuota

I thought it was you! <3 so much, because it has confirmed some things I'm suspicious of over the past eight years. As a tomboy and ostracized early from girlfriends, I didn't quite understand why some interactions would turn cold and bitchie. My flat pan face that I got from dealing with guys probably hasn't helped either. whoops.

And chapter three is all about the male vs female perspective, I didn't want to put it down. lol.

Also, I went against my inclination and bought it used because the Amazon reseller said it had notes. Score! I love the previous owner's annotations and dogears.

You recommended this one too I think.

Bauman.JPG

DiVWA

[ Edited ]

yes I did! that book totally changed my skin care routine. I made copies of sections that matched my sister's type so she could start following the advice too. Did you read that book? What did you think?

I get most of my books from the library first. I read a lot of non-fiction. If I like a book a lot, I usually give it to my husband to read (we have similar interests) and if it's something I love, then I go buy my own copy. LOL

TheSocialQuota

The library here isn't as accessible as I would like, so I'm still relying on King County digital. I will be so sad when I finally get cut off. They didn't have it, and you specified anyway that it was key to get one of the earliest editions. I was able to get a HC 1st, haven't dove into it yet. My recumbent bike is supposed to show up this week, so I will probably be able to start reading this after getting done with ItCoW. Really excited to finally have some advise instead of going off of always trial and error from the choose-3-samples wheel!

Crazy4Sephora1

(0) Hearts

The Law of Divine Compensation: On Work, Money and Miracles by Marianne Williamson. The world would be a better place if more people read this book.

malday

Right now I'm reading American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. 

vegchililover78

(0) Hearts

Tishomingo Blues by Elmore Leonard, love that guy!

WhereYouStand

[ Edited ]

I just finished Cape Storm By Rachel Caine andI have a tendency to juggle books so I picked up my current slack and am now reading 4 books

5060378.jpg

The girl who played with fire - Stieg Larsson

10964.jpg

Outlander - Diana Gabaldon

44175.jpg
Rash - Pete Hautman

19288043.jpg

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Zpsid91

love the girl who series and gone girl! I want to see the movie, but I'm sure it won't be as good as the book (as always :smileywink: )

Those other two look interesting I'll have to check them out!

TheSocialQuota

I think Played With Fire was my favorite of the trilogy. I'm almost done with Mockingjay so I'll read Gone Girl next too.

knuevekm

I am just finishing up my current book. I think I am going to read Gone girl next also!

WhereYouStand

currently reading
When you are engulfed in flames - David Sedaris
A Clash of Kings - George R. R. Martin

hazelsmrf

(0) Hearts

I've just finished a re(re-re-)read of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy,  and Patrick Rothfuss's The Wise Man's Fear.  I tend to reread books I like a lot. 

I'm starting to read Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 167 replies
  • 158 hearts
  • 76 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • kalex
    • itscarin
    • michelleshops
    • hydee77
    • melanito